Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
NYT Kindle obit

The dedicated e-reader is the new dedicated word processor; RIP. Oh, and Long Live the iPad!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/bu...ref=technology
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wonder how many Kindle owners are really buying ebooks from iBooks. I'm betting the "analysts" are lumping all iPad ebook sales into iBook sales.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I predict the Kindle-- or at least the dedicated ereader-- will be around to publish the obit for the New York Times.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I predict the Kindle-- or at least the dedicated ereader-- will be around to publish the obit for the New York Times.
lolz! (And probably correct, sadly enough.)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*yawn*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
The I-Pad may be great for showing off photos, watching movies, browsing the web and even exploring "enhanced" texts with graphics, but the kindle (and its ilk) does one thing better. It allows the reader to read books in a way that most closely resembles print with font size that can be easily adjusted and no back lighting that makes it easy on the eyes. A small device (smaller and lighter than the I-Pad) that doesn't get hot and doesn't require constant recharging and costs under $200, is a deal. I'm a happy Mac owner, but there's already a lot of Apple backlash. The Kindle is here to stay. Bezos ain't no idiot.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Now we can add another "analyst" to the long list of those who are in Apple's pocket -- or someone who just doesn't read. Maybe he tried to play video games on the Kindle?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Hans -- You may be right, but I've had this one-task vs multi-function conversation with friends -- even ones who read (but none yet with any who read e-books or actually own a kindle, nook or Sony E-Reader). A lot of people for whatever reason FEEL passionately about this one-function thing and are convinced that EVERYONE wants something that does it all. Time will tell.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
Hans -- You may be right, but I've had this one-task vs multi-function conversation with friends -- even ones who read (but none yet with any who read e-books or actually own a kindle, nook or Sony E-Reader). A lot of people for whatever reason FEEL passionately about this one-function thing and are convinced that EVERYONE wants something that does it all. Time will tell.
I have 2 things that do it all, my phone and my laptop. The iPad actually can do less than either of those. Why do I need another one? I even have an old laptop hooked up to the TV with wireless keyboards and mouse for couch top browsing, streaming. More powerful than an iPad, even after all these years. Now if a tablet was just as light and thin as the iPad and could fully replace my laptop....

I personally love multi-function devices, I have been a smart phone user since 2002. But no compromise multi-function. We are not there yet, the screens, weight, and battery life of today's multi-function devices are still not good enough to fully replace single-purpose readers.

Besides, prices are dropping fast and that will keep ereaders alive.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I think the article is essentially right - 50 years from now there probably won't be any dedicated e-readers, but something that can duplicate the easy reading screen with the other functionality of the iPad (and probably other stuff we can only dream of. And hopefully buttons).

But until then, something like the Kindle will have the advantage of being more readable and now, being far, far cheaper. The $139 will lead to it being adopted more by average people, as opposed to well, the sort that read the NY Times.

Heck, at $599, the iPad is really competing with laptops, not e-readers. And laptops do oh so more (to the ipad what the ipad is to the Kindle)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
wowen
wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iriver Story
Before I bought an ereader I was probably of the same opinion that something like the notion ink adam is the future (and I think you need the dual eink/lcd screen tech). But having taken the plunge then I realise that screen size is the key here. There will be a market for ipad size devices to both read on and do other things (read technical books and make notes etc). But the small dedicated ereader has a market for fiction readers, albeit one with color screen and minimal bezel in time for a small cost ($50). I don't want to sit and read with an ipad, I want a smaller device I can hold in one hand and read with.
wowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowen View Post
Before I bought an ereader I was probably of the same opinion that something like the notion ink adam is the future (and I think you need the dual eink/lcd screen tech). But having taken the plunge then I realise that screen size is the key here. There will be a market for ipad size devices to both read on and do other things (read technical books and make notes etc). But the small dedicated ereader has a market for fiction readers, albeit one with color screen and minimal bezel in time for a small cost ($50). I don't want to sit and read with an ipad, I want a smaller device I can hold in one hand and read with.
I wouldn't want to hold an iPad for hours, either. I read mine propped in an easel and/or on a cushion. Many iPad owners use some type of prop, often cases with stand features. I do all my e-reading on iPad now. The big screen, adjustable backlighting, variety of book-reading apps are great, I find. Not knocking dedicated devices for those who prefer them. It's just that uses and preferences (and eyesight) will vary.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowen View Post
I have both an iPad and dedicated eInk reading devices, and wouldn't want to be without either.

The iPad makes an excellent reading device for reading at home. Its 10" screen is about the same size as a hardback book, and, indeed, the iPad itself is about the same weight as a hardback book. I find reading on it to be very pleasant indeed.

However, when "out and about", a 5" or 6" eInk device is a lot more convenient.

The devices are complimentary; neither is definitively "better" than the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The devices are complimentary; neither is definitively "better" than the other.
This ought to be quoted more frequently !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote