Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Glompish
Glompish doesn't litterGlompish doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Arc 10HD
Arc 10HD, OS bare after factory reset

My first Android device, managed to bugger it up in less than a week...

I followed this guide in order to root it. Didn't flash the recovery as I stupidly thought that would allow me to easily reset to factory if needed.

After performing a factory reset I'm left with nothing. Core OS is still operational, screen turns off, rotates, Kobo cover works, and I can see the time and remaining battery. That's it, it's otherwise totally blank.

I can adb sideload in recovery mode (theoretically, I've not actually tried yet). Apparently I need to get hold of a stock ROM and sideload it, although I'm not sure on this (by now it should be apparent I'm completely clueless here).

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do?
Glompish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glompish View Post
My first Android device, managed to bugger it up in less than a week...

I followed this guide in order to root it. Didn't flash the recovery as I stupidly thought that would allow me to easily reset to factory if needed.

After performing a factory reset I'm left with nothing. Core OS is still operational, screen turns off, rotates, Kobo cover works, and I can see the time and remaining battery. That's it, it's otherwise totally blank.

I can adb sideload in recovery mode (theoretically, I've not actually tried yet). Apparently I need to get hold of a stock ROM and sideload it, although I'm not sure on this (by now it should be apparent I'm completely clueless here).

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do?
1. probably the mods need to move this thread from the E-Reader section into the Tablet one, as you have zero chances to get another reply here
2. Try posting in the XDA thread, as dazaaa is responsive and might have an advice.
3. Are you sure this is not just the launcher that is fubar?

All I can tell you is that I followed the same procedure on my 10HD but NEVER factory default it - so I don't know if that triggered your issue.
If I understood you correctly, you have no access to the ROM or apps. Not sure what you could sideload at this point as I have not seen any ROM floating around to flash. Pretty low developper interest on the device

Last edited by ipse; 07-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Glompish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
1. probably the mods need to move this thread from the E-Reader section into the Tablet one, as you have zero chances to get another reply here
2. Try posting in the XDA thread, as dazaaa is responsive and might have an advice.
3. Are you sure this is not just the launcher that is fubar?

All I can tell you is that I followed the same procedure on my 10HD but NEVER factory default it - so I don't know if that triggered your issue.
If I understood you correctly, you have no access to the ROM or apps. Not sure what you could sideload at this point as I have not seen any ROM floating around to flash. Pretty low developper interest on the device
1) Drat, that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning.

2) I would do. Unfortunately it's understandably behind a 10-post wall. Dazza's definitely most likely to know what's going on; figured posting here was worth it, however, because it appears that from time to time someone from Kobo pops on. Probably not much use given 1 above though

3) I'm not really sure of anything. It could well be just the launcher, but the fact there's no settings widget or anything means I can't check anything.

Cheers for the reply.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Glompish

Well, after tearing my hair out for over a month trying to find a stock ROM, Kobo came to my aid.

I've been given permission to share it, so if anyone else ends up in a similar bind you can download it here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!74o3BSaa!08uTD6...gXLwaLU-bWtaaU

As I couldn't enable USB debugging, ADB would not detect the device using stock recovery. I had to sideload it:

Reboot into recovery mode and select the option to update using ADB sideload. ADB should now detect the device, but only allows sideloading.

Copy the .zip into your ADB directory.

Copy and paste this into your shell window:

adb sideload macallan-ota-932.zip

The device should then automatically start updating. After it's finished your device should be as it was out of the box (or maybe a few updates later/earlier depending on when you bought it).

This method also works using CWM if you're using that instead of stock. You'll be given an option before reboot to prevent CWM being over-written by the stock recovery.

Last edited by Glompish; 08-15-2014 at 09:28 AM.