Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #76
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Can I place a vote that this thread should be a stickie? It really helps new people getting around and I find myself directing people to this thread regularly.
Thanks Toxaris! Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to something like "Quick and dirty ePub tutorial" and the first and second version of the documents should be removed... I find it difficult to understand why the oldest version of the document keeps being downloaded, maybe because it shows up in Google searches...
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #77
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just removed the original and second versions of the tutorial.

Last edited by Pablo; 12-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #78
stevelitt
stevelitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I am trying to write an ePub tutorial "for dummies", starting with HTML and CSS and later Sigil.

I am aware there are thousands of online HTML/CSS tutorials, so why yet another one? Well, because not everybody has the time or the patience needed to go through them, so I thought I could write some no-fuss quick and dirty guide covering the basics.

I just finished a draft covering HTML and CSS (in 7 pages, screenshots included) and would like some feedback to know if it is worth the effort.

Disclaimer No. 1: I am not an expert. I am still learning.
Disclaimer No. 2: English is not my mother language. So if you read something funny, please tell me so I can improve it.

Pablo
Very nice Pablo!

Is there an online HTML version of your document? I'd like to include a link to your document in my tutorial. My tutorial is closer to the metal than yours, and yours might be a good prerequisite to mine. Yours is much easier and less time consuming. My tutorial is at http://www.troubleshooters.com/ebook..._demystify.htm .

I have one disagreement with your document: Your use of .right, .left and .center. From my perspective, that violates styles based authoring because it focuses on appearance, not usage. Personally, I'd suggest you use different CSS examples in your doc.

Very nice. Thank you!

SteveT
stevelitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #79
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelitt View Post
Very nice Pablo!

Is there an online HTML version of your document? I'd like to include a link to your document in my tutorial. My tutorial is closer to the metal than yours, and yours might be a good prerequisite to mine. Yours is much easier and less time consuming. My tutorial is at http://www.troubleshooters.com/ebook..._demystify.htm .

I have one disagreement with your document: Your use of .right, .left and .center. From my perspective, that violates styles based authoring because it focuses on appearance, not usage. Personally, I'd suggest you use different CSS examples in your doc.

Very nice. Thank you!

SteveT
I had a look at your website and liked it.

There's no online HTML version of my document, but if you want to include it in your website, I can send you the original word file (send me a PM with your mail address). You are free to make any changes you see fit.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #80
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I had a look at your website and liked it.

There's no online HTML version of my document, but if you want to include it in your website, I can send you the original word file (send me a PM with your mail address). You are free to make any changes you see fit.
If you wanted to make an online version you might want to think of our wiki. It would be a good place to host the document.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #81
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you wanted to make an online version you might want to think of our wiki. It would be a good place to host the document.

Dale
Good idea. I'm not familiar with the format, will have a look at it.
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #82
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good idea. I'm not familiar with the format, will have a look at it.
Thanks!
there is help on the wiki. We use the same tool as wikipedia so that format works the same. Actually a wiki is simplified version of text with minimal formatting requirements but it gets converted on the fly by our server to html to be displayed on a browser so it turns out that if there is something you don't know how to do in the wiki syntax you can also use HTML syntax and since it is going to a browser anyway it will also work, also wiki syntax is much easier to read when you are in code view. TOC for example is generated automatically in the wiki for headings. Just click on help in the left column.

Dale
Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #83
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
there is help on the wiki. We use the same tool as wikipedia so that format works the same. Actually a wiki is simplified version of text with minimal formatting requirements but it gets converted on the fly by our server to html to be displayed on a browser so it turns out that if there is something you don't know how to do in the wiki syntax you can also use HTML syntax and since it is going to a browser anyway it will also work, also wiki syntax is much easier to read when you are in code view. TOC for example is generated automatically in the wiki for headings. Just click on help in the left column.

Dale
Thank Dale! I've already created a user and began editing my page. It's very simple...
So, when I'm finished, how do I put a link to it in the main wiki page?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #84
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank Dale! I've already created a user and began editing my page. It's very simple...
So, when I'm finished, how do I put a link to it in the main wiki page?
Set the category to HowTo and then the HowTo link on the main page will pick it up automatically. [[Category:HowTo]] at the bottom of the page. Actually I will go over it a bit after you are done to make a meaningful title.

Dale
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #85
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Set the category to HowTo and then the HowTo link on the main page will pick it up automatically. [[Category:HowTo]] at the bottom of the page. Actually I will go over it a bit after you are done to make a meaningful title.

Dale
Thanks Dale! I'll let you know when I'm done.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #86
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I made a few changes basically as examples for you to see what can be done in wiki format.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #87
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
I made a few changes basically as examples for you to see what can be done in wiki format.
Thanks Dale! I had a look earlier today and was pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I will put a warning at the top of the page stating that it is work in progress.... I don't know when I will be able to finish it...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #88
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Sure I can do that.

Dale
Old 12-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #89
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Sure I can do that.

Dale
Just finished loading all the content of the tutorial, I should proofread it, but right now I don't have the time...

I followed your formatting examples. A problem I see is the low contrast of text in bold inside gray boxes. Is there any way to solve it?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #90
MyDK
MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MyDK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Pablo
I enjoyed your "Quick and dirty ePub tutorial" very much. Not too much and not too little information. Perfect. Thanks!
MyDK is offline   Reply With Quote