Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #16
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
I really can't delete any book from the device when it is not plugged to my PC. Even wifi downloaded books. Maybe I produced an inconsistent state on my reader after sync on and off several times.
There was an inconsistent state in my mind too. I found by means of uncoordinated tapping on my reader the menu item for enabling the book view which allows to delete books from the device directly. But only those books which had not been downloaded via the Reader for PC software. Just like Shopaholic said.
So now all my books are selfloaded. Next I will check if I can export and reimport notes without Reader for PC somehow.

hansl

Last edited by hansl; 10-25-2013 at 04:32 AM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Deleting electronic books on a Sony Reader is really not that easy. But I prefer to delete the files directly on the Sony Reader rather than in Calibre, because the cover at
Code:
Sony_Reader/database/cache/books/0123456789
won't get deleted if you delete the book via Calibre.

If we're talking about a book you'd prefer to be gone forever for whatever reason, I'd recommend deleting the file directly on the Sony device.
  • Press: Bookshelvs.
  • Choose: Books (instead of: Collections)
  • Now find the file. You can use the search funcion (the symbol looks like a magnifying glass) or you can sort the files you're seeing right now by 'Date' or 'Latest Read'.
  • Uncheck the 'Protect Books' thing via the menu button if the file is protected.
  • You should be able to delete anything now.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Deleting electronic books on a Sony Reader is really not that easy. But I prefer to delete the files directly on the Sony Reader rather than in Calibre, because the cover at
Code:
Sony_Reader/database/cache/books/0123456789
won't get deleted if you delete the book via Calibre.
Have you reported that as a Calibre bug? It really should delete all the "auxiliary" files when you delete the book. Sounds like a bug in the Sony device driver if it doesn't delete the cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
As a Sony reader fan of reasonably long standing, with a fair few devices to play with, and an admirer and satisfied user of said devices, my advice would be ..... lose the Sony software, it's junk !

Stick with Calibre, and make life so much simpler for yourself !

(And pick up some "Cleaning Tools" while you're at it and expand your horizons ............ )
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

"Cleaning tools" are off topic because they don't solve anyone of the aforementioned issues. Especially since I can administrate muddy books with Calibre without the detergent plugin, even if I can read them only on my reader device. And... I don't eat cats in public.

hansl

Last edited by hansl; 10-25-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Not even with "ketchup" ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
hansl
Zealot

I think I know now how to proceed:
Quote:
  • On the PC: Switching off syncing with the T3S in Reader for PC causes most of my books to be removed from the T3S.
I'll give up and use Reader for PC more carefully. Especially I'll limit the number of collections in order to simplify restoration in case of inadvertent deletion of books. The reason is that I did not find a way to export and restore index notes without Reader for PC.

Quote:
  • On the T3S (without PC connection) I cannot delete books. Only remove them from a collection but they are still in the default book collection.
Solved.

Quote:
  • While reading, when I create a note at the bottom of a page, the popup dictionary entry covers the note text, so I cannot edit the selection. Minor nuisance. Is it possible to switch off the dictionary function?
Workarounds found.

Quote:
  • As far as I see, sorting notes alphabetically works only across all books and cannot be limited to a book or collection, which would be what I want when I create notes for use as index entries for my current book or series.
No solution found but I can temporarily remove annotated books which I'm not currently reading in order to avoid cluttered index notes. Or I could prefix a note with a book id so that all notes in a book appear in the same sorted block.

Thank you all, also the cleaning squad
Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
hansl
Zealot

Quote:
Very tempting
Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
ketchup Yum.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you reported that as a Calibre bug?
No, I didn't even try to delete a file via Calibre in the past months. I'll have a look at this problem again in some days, thanks a lot for your idea. Since the cover art and the notes are stored in the same folder I thouht it's too difficult for Calibre to find the correct folder on it's own.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #26
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
I have tested some of the listed problems in the original post on my PRS-T3.

Quote:
  • On the T3S (without PC connection) I cannot delete books. Only remove them from a collection but they are still in the default book collection. So I have to connect the T3S to a PC and delete the books from the READER drive. 2nd wow??
I loaded about 6 books onto the T3 using the Sony Reader software on my PC. I did an individual 'sync' on each book to load them one by one. After I had done this I had no problem deleting one of the books using the T3.
I haven't tried doing a global Sync in the Sony Reader software yet.

I have been disappointed to find out that Adobe Digital Editions does not recognize the PRS-T3.

Quote:
  • While reading, when I create a note at the bottom of a page, the popup dictionary entry covers the note text, so I cannot edit the selection. Minor nuisance. Is it possible to switch off the dictionary function?
You can edit a selection at the bottom of the page if you keep you finger on the selection as the dictionary pops up. Then drag your finger--the dictionary will disappear and you will be able to edit the selection as normal.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #27
hansl
Zealot

Thanks for your update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
You can edit a selection at the bottom of the page if you keep you finger on the selection as the dictionary pops up. Then drag your finger--the dictionary will disappear and you will be able to edit the selection as normal.
When I lift the finger, the dictionary entry is back again. So, I can only edit the selection in one direction, left or right but not both.
hansl
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Ah,yes hansl, you are right. To edit in both directions under the dictionary pop up requires a two step edit. I guess that is the price of the convenient pop up. That's too bad if
you don't care for the dictionary.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
hansl
Zealot

Well, I do care more for the dictionary than for this small discomfort.
Cheers,
hansl
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
hansl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
I have been disappointed to find out that Adobe Digital Editions does not recognize the PRS-T3.
Have you registered the device with Adobe? You can do this with the T3's web browser and Wifi switched on directly (I had, however, the impression that the Reader software initially scanned my PC and transferred the Adobe ID to the T3). Then you can copy books via USB cable from the directory where ADE stores the downloaded books to the reader (or import them via the Reader software). AFAIK ADE doesn't recognise the reader as connected device.

Good luck,
hansl

Last edited by hansl; 10-30-2013 at 11:57 AM.