Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Memory Stick Pro Duo

I saw that Sony Reader accepts Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (like the kind that the PSP takes).

I went to put it in the slot, and it went all the way in -- am I missing some eject button somewhere? The card is WAY far inside of the mem card reader.

I'm afraid to push it in too far at this point, it slid in easily but now I have to figure out how to get it back out of the unit. Any ideas? Has anyone tried inserting a PSP (Mem Stick Pro Duo) card?
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
tekchic
Zealot

Great. I read now in the manual's fine print that "Adaptor Required". Now I get to figure out how to do fine surgery on my brand spanking new unit. I feel like an idiot. This is not the first gadget I've had in my life, lol. I own a PSP, DS Lite, TMobile MDA, etc etc etc.

Hey, at least i loaded a buncha books on the Reader itself first *slaps forehead*.

Last edited by tekchic; 10-06-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Uh oh. Yes, you need an adapter. That's a tough one. I mentioned in my first hands on article,

"WARNING - Don’t insert a wrong sized card! And if an adapter is needed, be sure to use one. If you insert one of the smaller cards into the slot by mistake, it may need to go to the factory to have the case opened to remove the card. This was a lesson we learned when one of us put the wrong size card into the slot. Fortunately, the factory was next door, so it was a good learning experience and not a tragic event!"

I'd call Sony support to see if they can give you some ideas. Did it "click" into place, or is it just laying in there? Maybe you can shake it out, or use small tweezers, or a toothpick to prod it while it's upside down?

I'm not sure what opening it would do to help, or how easy that is, or if it voids the warranty. Please let us know what you figure out. You're not the first to do this, and I'm sure you're not the last, either.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh.... and you do have all that internal memory to work with in the meantime even if it is stuck. You should still be able to manage those books from the Sony Connect software.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
tekchic
Zealot

Got the card out. It involved a thin strip of tape and a business card cut into a long slice to slide as backing on the tape. It made the tape sort of tamp down onto the mem card. A little bit of steady hands reminding me of my childhood with my old "Operation" board game, and I got that sucker out of there.

*trots off to go buy a silly adaptor* Brilliant of me to think it was like the 5 in 1 reader that comes with my XPS *cough*

Alls well that end's well.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
tekchic
Zealot

My goodness...I even read that article too. I must have forgotten in all my glowing ecstasy since it just arrived an hour ago ;-)
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Brilliant solution!!... You may be the hero to those who follow in your footsteps. ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thank you, thank you Tekchic - the same thing just happened to me and your solution worked perfectly. I was actually all out of Cellotape as well so just used a Band-Aid strip I had lying around.
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
"Necessity is a Mother ..." Invention!! Good show tekchic!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
tekchic
Zealot

I'm glad I could help. Freaked me out when 30 minutes into playtime I'd already messed up my Reader, heh heh!

Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
mlistener
mlistener began at the beginning.

Just brilliant! Thank you very much, tekchic!!
mlistener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A friend did the same thing. As luck would have it I had a spare adapter in my desk and we inserted the adapter after the duo. The duo fit into the adapter and both ejected without a problem.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Man, you guys/gals are way innovative! Who would've thought to put in the adapter and picking it out backwards would work (of course I also have to give props for the way cool method of sneaking it out with a CC & some tape!).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bump!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You know, I remember reading this thread last year and I thought "what kind of idiot would use the wrong size memory card?". It turns out, that kind of idiot is me.

The tape trick worked great. Ironically, I had the adapter sitting on my desk.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
lol, sometimes we are just too smart for our own good! (Yup, I felt like a total idiot when it happened too!).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote