Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook menu language

I read that there are 6 different languages for the (today-coming! ) Pocketbook 360's firmware. Given that the project is open-source and since I don't know how to program my way inside the firmware, is there any way I'd be able to add another language (in my case, Spanish)? If there is, I would like to know how, as to make it a bit easier to use for myself and share my translation once it's done.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Given that the project is open-source and since I don't know how to program my way inside the firmware, is there any way I'd be able to add another language (in my case, Spanish)? If there is, I would like to know how, as to make it a bit easier to use for myself and share my translation once it's done.
Absolutely no hacking skills are necessary.
Have a look at the German PocketBook forum. They have done translation to German language.

You simply take an English, or German, or whatever existing language file, you translate the strings and place one single translated file in the /system/language directory you see when you connect the PocketBook to your PC. That is it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Absolutely no hacking skills are necessary.
Have a look at the German PocketBook forum. They have done translation to German language.

You simply take an English, or German, or whatever existing language file, you translate the strings and place one single translated file in the /system/language directory you see when you connect the PocketBook to your PC. That is it.
We would like it very much if you could translate it. Please let me know and I will send you the language text of your choice to translate from.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I read that there are 6 different languages for the (today-coming! ) Pocketbook 360's firmware. Given that the project is open-source and since I don't know how to program my way inside the firmware, is there any way I'd be able to add another language (in my case, Spanish)? If there is, I would like to know how, as to make it a bit easier to use for myself and share my translation once it's done.
@logseman: change your avatar, it is offending

Last edited by aceflor; 02-23-2010 at 04:58 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd do it gladly, a translation to Spanish of course, which is the language I command best. After all, I'm getting it with a discount, so I guess it's a way to repay for it :P
I'd like to get both the German and the English versions, if it's possible.

@acerflor: Consider it done.

Last edited by Logseman; 02-23-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I'd do it gladly, a translation to Spanish of course, which is the language I command best. After all, I'm getting it with a discount, so I guess it's a way to repay for it :P

@acerflor: Consider it done.
Thanks, I appreciate.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Coming your way
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa

OMG I HAS DE REEDAH!

I didn't believe it would come at this hour! Yay! I've already tried it a bit, but I don't find the language files in the device... are they set in "hidden" by default perhaps¿
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
OMG I HAS DE REEDAH!

I didn't believe it would come at this hour! Yay! I've already tried it a bit, but I don't find the language files in the device... are they set in "hidden" by default perhaps¿
system/language, but the language file is hidden right now if you have not changed it in any way yet. To change the language, you just put a text file in there.

Use the joined files for your translation to Spanish.
Attached Files
File Type: txt de.txt (24.5 KB, 321 views)
File Type: txt en.txt (18.6 KB, 439 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Logseman
Orisa

Hereby I submit my translation. However, the device doesn't recognise such signs as the Spanish tilde (á é í ó ú) or the ñ, which of course renders it hardly usable right now.

Last edited by Logseman; 02-26-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Hereby I submit my translation. However, the device doesn't recognise such signs as the spanish tilde (á é í ó ú) or the ñ, which of course renders it hardly usable right now.
Thanks a lot. Normally, the device recognizes all kinds of special signs if you save the txt file as UTF-8. I'll check that and be back with you asap.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Logseman
Orisa

Problem solved. I saved it in utf-8 and it is all correct now. Aside of that, I've fixed small mistakes in the translation so I'll post it again here. As of now, this translation is fully operative and flawless. Now I need to figure out how to put a Spanish keyboard and how to actually implement a Spanish dictionary. The device had them preinstalled but I couldn't get them to work.

Last edited by Logseman; 02-26-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Problem solved. I saved it in utf-8 and it is all correct now. Aside of that, I've fixed small mistakes in the translation so I'll post it again here. As of now, this translation is fully operative and flawless. Now I need to figure out how to put a Spanish keyboard and how to actually implement a Spanish dictionary. The device had them preinstalled but I couldn't get them to work.
Great that it works now. I'll download the newer improved version. I am sure someone can help you with the keyboard issue. What exactly was your problem with the spanish dictionary?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Hm... I wish I peeked into this thread earlier... the Spanish translation of the menu is already done and, if I'm not mistaken is included in the latest firmware version... I can send the txt file for the review to anybody, who knows how to review Spanish)
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa

I'm waiting for my SD card to come to update the firmware, that's why I hadn't uploaded the latest firmware... Oh, dear.

Bah, you can call it a fansub translation, after all it fits my position as a fansubber