Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Entourage EDGe

Guys, wasn't the Entourage EDGe supposed to ship in Feb? I just went to their website and they're saying March now...
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Guys, wasn't the Entourage EDGe supposed to ship in Feb? I just went to their website and they're saying March now...
Just got an email from Tom Conklin @ Entourage.

NEW orders will ship in February. They ran out of the February inventory for existing Pre-Orders.

So... If you got your order in before yesterday, then you, like me, will still get it in February.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Good to know. Thanks. I usually don't like to buy first-generation products but in this case I made an exception with the EDGe. You can't beat the features for the price considering dedicated ebook reader devices such as the Kindle DX sell for around that price and are considerably inferior in their capabilities.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

I sold my 2 Kindles to be able to afford it. I am hoping for a Kindle for Android app so that I can still use my Amazon purchases outside of my laptop.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict

I am sure there will be. Android is expected to take off so fast that according to software forecasters there will be thousands of applications for Android devices by the end of the year.
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Where do you get android apps from? Is there a webstore or something?
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
paulckennedy
Addict

Right now, you have to search for Android Apps through something like Google and find the apk file to install. A lot like getting apps for Windows. The Android Market is closely tied to the Cell Phone payment system which leaves out devices like the Edge for now. I found one http://appslib.com/developers/index.html which looks like it might work with the Edge and other Android tablets.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

That leaves us to start writing stuff for the Edge...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
paulckennedy
Addict

I used to be a science teacher. I want to be able to use the USB ports and BlueTooth to connect to sensors. I want to be able to conduct science experiments where I use the Edge to capture information such as temperature, speed, etc. While the experiment is going on I want the Textbook I am using on the E-Ink side for reference. I also want to be working with the DocsToGo side on the LCD side for the lab paper, spreadsheets, etc. I know I can do this with a netbook but this looks like it would be more intuitive for the student.

I see writing simulations using Flash. I see using forums for group discussions. I see using Evernote in coordination with the Library feature.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
zetareticuli
Addict

Paul, even though I was never a science teacher, I am a scientist at heart. I would also like to do all that stuff.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
paulckennedy
Addict

It would be cool. What are you wanting to do with it?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
zetareticuli
Addict

Paul, I am a systems engineer and software developer. I specialize in device drivers and interfaces. I am also an amateur astronomer with an interest in astrophotography. I plan to write drivers and interfaces for the Edge that would allow it to control my astronomy gear. There is also a planetarium software that I will attempt to port so that it would run on the Edge.

Before that can happen, though, we need to get the device. Has anyone obtained a definite answer as to when the Edge will start shipping?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
paulckennedy
Addict

I am a software developer. I have my Bachelor's in Physics with a Master's in Natural Science.

I am definitely interested in the device driver and interface work you have planned for the Edge.

No idea as to when from here. Boo.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
zetareticuli
Addict

Paul,

I love, love, love Physics. In fact, when I am not reading stuff on software, Information Technology, etc, I am reading Physics books. I read books from general layman's to graduate level books on Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity.

We will definitely collaborate on stuff for the eDGe. All we need is for it to get to us already...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
paulckennedy
Addict

I agree! Nuf said! hehe