Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
MR Resource

I was just adding another book to my reader, perusing some of the titles I have in my Sony library now, and realized that had if not been for this forum there would be a lot less!

Just in the last six months I've been introduced to:

Dana Stabenow
Michael Connelly
Harry Collingwood
David Baldacci
J.D. Rob,
Robert Jordan
Neal Stephenson
Vince Flynn

... and these are just the ones that I enjoyed and will read more of! I've deleted the authors that I didn't like! MobilRead certainly is a resource!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I discovered Michael Connelly a year or so ago. The ones I've read so far are excellent.

I'm not familiar with the other names on your list. Except perhaps Robert Jordan. Isn't he the protagonist in For Whom The Bell Tolls?

Last edited by Mike L; 08-14-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Minor spelling mistake
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've also discovered many authors i'd never heard of, or at the least had never read before, thanks to mr, especially thanks to the free upload section but through recommendations as well. it truly is brilliant to have such a wealth of suggestions at hand here.

michael connelly is on my list but i've not read anything by him yet, i take it you will confirm all the other recommendations i've had...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I discovered Michael Connelly a year or so ago. The ones I've read so far are excellent.

I'm not familiar with the other names on your list. Except perhaps Robert Jordan. Isn't he the protagonist in For Whom The Bell Tolls?
Jordan has written quite a few things, most notably is probably "The Wheel of Time" series. it is an incredibly good fantasy tale, head and shoulders above many others. unfortunately he passed away before finishing it, but I believe he left copious notes, and as I understood it (I think... maybe) his so was taking up the reins.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Stitchawl, if you like Vince Flynn, give Brad Thor a try.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
Jordan has written quite a few things, most notably is probably "The Wheel of Time" series. it is an incredibly good fantasy tale, head and shoulders above many others. unfortunately he passed away before finishing it, but I believe he left copious notes, and as I understood it (I think... maybe) his so was taking up the reins.

Brandon Sanderson was commissioned to finish the series, there will be 3 books instead of one last book. The first one is coming out in november i think, its called The Gathering Storm or some such and initial impressions are good.

Brandon Sanderson´s Warbreaker is available here for free, I haven´t gotten around to reading it but his mistborn series is very good, TOR offered the first of the series(Mistborn: The Final Empire) free a while back, I don´t know if its available still.

I started to reread the series but all my paperbacks are falling apart

On Topic -
I think i discovered George R.R Martin here, the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is one of my favorite fantasy book series. (finish the next one soon George!)
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

oh most excellent! I've been hoping that Amazon would bring them out for ebooks as they are most certainly oversized books that would profit from reading on an e-device!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Dana Stabenow is one of my all time favorite authors. Besides the fact that I am in love with her Kate Shugak series, Dana is accessible, friendly, and down to earth. She has a blog and a facebook - I've been leaving comments on both long enough that she recognizes my name and we trade comments/smart remarks. Which to me is pretty darn cool!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh most excellent! I've been hoping that Amazon would bring them out for ebooks as they are most certainly oversized books that would profit from reading on an e-device!
I might have to acquire them through less than reputable means if I can find them, too many pages of my copy of Shadow Rising are loose.

Oh and What the heck! I have two paperbacks of The Fires of Heaven O_o?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Oh yes.

I'm going to spend 3 months in the UK with limited internet access from medio next month. So I have started filling up my reader with light entertainment endorsed by MR members.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
I might have to acquire them through less than reputable means if I can find them, too many pages of my copy of Shadow Rising are loose.

Oh and What the heck! I have two paperbacks of The Fires of Heaven O_o?
lol! scanning about to happen?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Quote:
lol! scanning about to happen?
Naw I don't have a scanner here, plus I'm too lazy. I might go to the darknet, or I might just try and scan it at work since the other books seem in better shape.

Now I remember when I got the other copy of Fires of Heaven, I was at a restaurant I frequented at a mall where I worked when one of the waiters gave me a book he thought he saw me reading, I thought it was mine ( Who else reads fantasy books in english in a tiny town of latin america ) so I took it.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Stitchawl, if you like Vince Flynn, give Brad Thor a try.
I shall! 10-Q veddy much!

Stitchawl
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

michael connelly is on my list but i've not read anything by him yet, i take it you will confirm all the other recommendations i've had...

Oh, most definitely! I've only just broached the surface of the 'Harry Bosch' series with the first book, but look forward to reading the next ones! There just isn't enough time to read!!!!

Same problem with Dana Stabenow. I've read the first books of the 'Liam Campbell' series and the "Kate Shugak' series, and can't wait to read the next in line! There just isn't enough time!

Anyone have an extra 'Day Stretcher?'

Stitchawl
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

Same name, different fellow. Hemmingway's Robert Jordan was from Montana, where he was a professor of Spanish while the author Jordan was born in South Carolina, and held a degree in Physics. Probably some other more important differences...

Jordan the author has written under several different names in several different genres. So far I've only had time to explore the first of the "Wheel of Time" series. Very good writer although this is not one of my favorite genres.

But... if you enjoyed Connelly, please do take a look at Ian Rankin and his Inspector Rebus series. Try to start with book #1 if you can. Just a shade darker than Connelly, but even more engrossing!

Stitchawl