Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
The Wazz
The Wazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
PRS-700 Memory Stick Pro-Duo

I am having a problem with my Brand new PRS-700 reconizing the Sony branded Pro Duo Memory Sticks I have (a 2GB and 16GB). At first I thought my 2GB card was bad so I bought a 16Gb and had the same problem. When I connect the unit to my PC running Vista Ultimate. My Computer reconizes the three drive (internal, MS, & SD), but when I try to access the MS it says to insert a card even though there is one already inserted. When I open the Sony eReader it does not list the MS Drive at all.

After trying all of this I called sony support to address the issue. After 2 hours with tier 1 and tier 2 support, they said I have a bad unit and need to send it in for replacement. Since it was less than 30 days I exchanged at Borders.

Same issue with new unit and even tried it on a computer running XP to no avail. As a third check I took the unit and MS cards to my local Sony store and the cards didn't work in the stores 700 unit, but both cards worked in the 505 unit. The store representative couldn't explain it and was going to bring the managers attention.

At this point I feel it is PRS-700 firmware issue. Has anybody else had this issue? I have a hard time believing I am the only person having an issue with MS cards. If you are able to use an MS card what size and brand do you have. Any feedback would be helpful
The Wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I have a Sony branded Memory Stick Pro Duo (2G) that I use in my PRS700 and have had no problems at all. The eBook Library recognizes it as a separate USB storage device on the PRS700 and I can move any book to it. At present, this is where I am storing my Webster's Dictionary (courtesy nrapallo).

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
The Wazz

My 2GB happens to be the Sony High Speed version for cameras, which I thought may be the problem. Then I bought the 16 GB Pro Duo Mark 2 which the reader won't recognize either.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wazz View Post
My 2GB happens to be the Sony High Speed version for cameras, which I thought may be the problem. Then I bought the 16 GB Pro Duo Mark 2 which the reader won't recognize either.
My 2GB is just marked (magic stick), whatever version that is I don't know. I bought a Sony 8GB Pro Duo for my PSP and swapped the 2GB version to my PRS700 after reformatting it on my PC.

WDE.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
The Wazz

Did you by change try the 8GB in the reader?
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wazz View Post
Did you by change try the 8GB in the reader?
I just gave it a try. The 8GB from my PSP was a SAnDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo (magic gate).

The eBook Library Software recoginzed the memory stick immediately. There was then a status beside it that said "scanning..." which lasted for about 2 minutes. Then all the contents on the memory stick were available to me in the eBook Library.

Status changed from "Scanning..." to "Memory stick on Reader".

Seems to work like it's supposed to.

Let me know if I can test anything further for you.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 03-14-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Somewhere in the PDF manual for the PRS-700, it says the device is NOT Magic gate compliant).
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Somewhere in the PDF manual for the PRS-700, it says the device is NOT Magic gate compliant).
The manual, on page 14, states:

"The Reader does not comply with MagicGate standard, and the data requiring the copyright protection function cannot be copied or played on the reader".

I'm not sure what this means, exactly, but my SOny Memory Stick Pro Duo's seem to work fine.

WDE.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The manual, on page 14, states:

"The Reader does not comply with MagicGate standard, and the data requiring the copyright protection function cannot be copied or played on the reader".

I'm not sure what this means, exactly, but my SOny Memory Stick Pro Duo's seem to work fine.

WDE.
Magic Gate was sonys way to DRM removable media. nothing i know of ever used it. though im sure something did.

that is a very strange problem to be having. have you tried formatting the memory stick? maybe its on the wrong file system. maybe its your computer.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
The Wazz

All Sony Memory Sticks have Magic Gate, so that's not the issue. I have tried all the formats available with no success. I have also tried a different computer running XP. I am hoping someone out there has a 16 GB pro duo that they are using to confirm that it will or will not work.