Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
A Challenge for apple users

There is always room for improvement no matter how good a companies products are. My challenge is this what are some shortcomings and gripes about your Macs?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
There is always room for improvement no matter how good a companies products are. My challenge is this what are some shortcomings and gripes about your Macs?
I don't own a Mac, never have.
This is primarily an iPad forum, I'm not sure how many Mac users you will reach with your post.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I don't own a Mac but that may just because they cost so friggin much
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I don't own a Mac either, but I have an iPod touch that I use as sort of a "pocket iPad," and occasionally as an ereader if I'm in a grocery line or I'm reading in bed late at night. The only major gripes about it that I have are the lack of support for Flash, and the lack of expandable memory. I might also like a slightly larger screen.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I had no gripes about my mac until I upgrade it to Lion

dont like lack of colour, mini scroll bars, auto save and versions

give me an option to revert these to how they used to be and no gripes anymore with it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I use a 15" Macbook Pro and I am hoping the Pro and Air lines will merge, as some rumors have suggested. If that happens, I would buy a new machine. The MBP is not a heavy laptop, but I would still love it to be lighter (I take my MBP all over the place and I don't have a car). I can do without the optical drive just fine.

I have not upgraded to Lion because I heard bad things about it. I guess if I got a new machine I would have no choice, though!

Retina display would be cool IF I can still make the text as big as I want (usually more resolution = smaller text, but I guess a retina display is not going to work that way).

My gripes are with Adobe (the primary software I use is InDesign and I have problems with it), not Apple.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
No particular gripes. I've been using Macs since the '80s, and I've always preferred them. My main iMac has been upgraded to Lion, and I have no issues with it. I just upgraded this Mac from 4GB of RAM to 16GB, and this has made a huge difference in performance.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have a 2007 iMac (the machine I am currently typing on) as well as a 2011 Macbook Pro 13". I didn't like Lion at the start, and downgraded both machines to Snow Leopard. It took less than a week for me to realise that I wanted the iCloud benefit that came with Lion, and there were very few otehr issues. Sure, the GUI had some changes (colour removal, changed icons in some apps, iTunes most notably) but I got over that. After realising that launchpad and mission control neither added nor detracted from how I was used to doing things, I reinstalled Lion and havent looked back.

On this machine, Lion is a bit slow... or rather some of the apps I use (Lightroom and Photoshop, notably) but thats a feature of the restricted RAM. I have the max available, which is 4G. Its possible to u/g to 6, by adding a 4G module in the second RAM bay but I found it didnt make a massive difference and in the end, that module died within a year. I'm not going to bother again.

I plan to upgrade my MBP to 8G pretty soon, and it can go to 16, IIRC.

both machines will also run the new Mountain Lion when its released.

I guess I am saying I am very happy with my Macs. They are only my 4th and 5th, I had a MacPlus years ago but the tiny BW screen gave me headaches and I didnt much like the OS. OSX is built differently and its base is a BSD/Unix so much more stable and secure than the older System OSes. I used PC until 2003, but when I bought my eMac back then, and my iBook, i stopped using the PC altogether except for keeping the OS updated... and then didnt even switch it on for months. I sold it when those months stretched to 6... clearly, it was no longer a part of my life.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
lovelygirl
lovelygirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
i think maybe you have said it... nothing is perfect, not to speak of
a company, but IMO, Apple's products are good wholly!
lovelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I love my Mac. I hate having to use my windows machine for work.

Doesn't crash
No BSOD
Integration with all iOS devices
Seems to last much longer than my previous windows machines. At least by a couple of years. So far.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Christ, what a list I could make if I thought about it.

1. Matte screens for every iteration of MacBook (Air, Pro, etc.)
2. High-quality IPS panels or better for every iteration of MacBook
3. Removable battery and accessible RAM in every single iteration of MacBook
4. Dedicated graphics cards for every iteration of MacBook
5. Escape from the oppressive GUI to pure command-line at any time (and no, I'm not talking about iTerminal)
6. Seamless booting into Windows and Linux (without needing to use Bootcamp)
7. More generous support of third-party software so that we might have a tenth of the library of the average Windows user
8. The occasional black aluminum model so that I'm not tempted to buy the updated Samsung Series 9
9. Built-in Avid I/O option for professional recording without lots of extra gear
10. iTunes-synced disco mode for the keyboard backlight so that Zooey Deschanel may execute woozy ballroom spins while typing

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I had two gripes about my last laptop (MacBook Pro). I didn't like the glossy screen, which was my husband's fault since he bought the laptop and there was a matte screen available. I didn't like the trackpad much. I upgraded to Lion and now the trackpad is amazing. I handed down my laptop to my husband and now have an Air, no gripes at all with it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I didn't like the glossy screen, which was my husband's fault since he bought the laptop and there was a matte screen available. . . . I handed down my laptop to my husband and now have an Air, no gripes at all with it.
But the Air has a glossy screen, too. I'm hoping I won't care as much when the Retina screen becomes a MacBook feature, perhaps as early as this June.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh I, too, cannot BEAR the glossy screen. I am praying that my fantasy 15" Macbook Air will have a matte screen option!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
But the Air has a glossy screen, too. I'm hoping I won't care as much when the Retina screen becomes a MacBook feature, perhaps as early as this June.
The Air screen is nowhere near as reflective as the MacBook Pro.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote