Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #91
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Google happens to be working hard at changing the OS update dynamic. They are taking over more core permissions and using their own app updates to do an end-around on slow carrier updates. See http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...agging-android

I am still an Apple user and haven't tried android yet. But be careful about throwing stones. Have you tried deleting the built-in Stocks or Calculator apps, for example? You can't, at least not using the on-phone deletion mechanism. Those are both junk apps to me (they serve a purpose but I prefer better apps for each of those).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #92
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Google happens to be working hard at changing the OS update dynamic. They are taking over more core permissions and using their own app updates to do an end-around on slow carrier updates. See http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...agging-android

I am still an Apple user and haven't tried android yet. But be careful about throwing stones. Have you tried deleting the built-in Stocks or Calculator apps, for example? You can't, at least not using the on-phone deletion mechanism. Those are both junk apps to me (they serve a purpose but I prefer better apps for each of those).
The Stocks and Calculator apps are not added by phone carriers and thus of no importance to this discussion. Google can try all it wants to, but ultimately they don't have the clout to pull off what Apple did as far as having total control over the OS on phones. And since when is telling the "truth" considered "throwing stones"?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #93
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I guess you get what you pay for. With the iPhone 5C you get the latest iOS 7 and it will probably be upgradeable through iOS 9. With Android phones you typically get less than the latest Android release and you typically don't get major OS upgrades. True, you can jailbreak, but the vast majority of phone owners won't know that much less how to jailbreak. With iPhones Apple controls the upgrades to iOS regardless of the carrier. With Android you are pretty much at the mercy of the carrier. With iPhones Apple doesn't allow carriers to place a lot of junk apps on them. With Android the phones come loaded with junk apps from the carrier, many of which are difficult to delete w/o jailbreaking.
I guess the Nexus 4 phone is a dud, because at less than half the price of an iphone, it can't be good, and can't receive timely updates, or offer top of the line specs that would outclass the iphone 5. Oh wait...

And have you heard of the HTC One and Galaxy play editions?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #94
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It doesn't matter where an app I can't delete comes from. The result is the same.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #95
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I guess the Nexus 4 phone is a dud, because at less than half the price of an iphone, it can't be good, and can't receive timely updates, or offer top of the line specs that would outclass the iphone 5. Oh wait...
...I bought a dud???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #96
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
It doesn't matter where an app I can't delete comes from. The result is the same.
Not when Android has non-deleteable apps too. I notice you didn't mention that.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #97
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Tell you what, let's meet back in a year and check the numbers on how many iPhone 5Cs were sold and how many (or few) of the phones you listed were sold. How about that?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #98
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Tell you what, let's meet back in a year and check the numbers on how many iPhone 5Cs were sold and how many (or few) of the phones you listed were sold. How about that?
Ah, the fallacy of appealing to popularity.

The existence of much cheaper high end smartphones running stock Android clearly counters the argument that you have to pay iPhone prices to get a nice OS and timely updates, regardless of how many people buy the iPhone 5C.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #99
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ah, the fallacy of appealing to popularity.
Yes, also called "moving goalposts".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #100
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
You are bordering on saying something like a TV program is "good" because it is popular and appears in the news a lot.

(Do you really watch the "Kardashians" and the multiple "Reality ** Wives"?)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #101
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

They can't see, they can't hear, and if they could they would refuse to understand.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #102
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
*YAWN* You can always keep the first page of the iOS homepage stock. Use the second page as your true start page. It's not like you can delete the calculator, news & weather, and other apps from a Nexus device either. Not without root anyway.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
*YAWN* You can always keep the first page of the iOS homepage stock. Use the second page as your true start page. It's not like you can delete the calculator, news & weather, and other apps from a Nexus device either. Not without root anyway.
Android has an app drawer, where all those pesky apps one doesn't like can be kept out of sight. Not so with iOS. On my iPt4, I have two folders full of Apple bloatware I can't get rid of. I shove them and Newsstand on the last page.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #104
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
lol @ the idea that Nexus 4 hardware outclasses the iPhone 5.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #105
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Android has an app drawer, where all those pesky apps one doesn't like can be kept out of sight. Not so with iOS. On my iPt4, I have two folders full of Apple bloatware I can't get rid of. I shove them and Newsstand on the last page.
You can have unlimited apps in the drawer now in iOS 7.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote