Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Screen size

I've had my 950 a couple days now and I guess my question is this, does the extra inch in screen size really that much of a benifit over the 650? Since both units handle PDF files the same just wondering if it's worth the added bulk? The 950 isn't cumbersome or tiring to use I've read quite a bit on it, but I compared it to my Sony cover with light for my MIA 650 and it is alot taller. So I'm wondering after I put the 950 in it's case will it then become unwieldly?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Jerry--
My husband reads a lot of technical PDFs. He had a 900 and has since upgraded to the 650. He said he actually likes the way the 650 works with PDFs in landscape mode better than the 900/950. The 650 will split the PDF into two sections when displaying landscape whereas the 900/950 will split it into thirds. Of course the text on the 650 is smaller than the text on the 950, but per my husband is still very readable.

He decided to go with the 650 mostly because of the size. The added cost of the 950 was a factor as well. Since he doesn't use the wireless connection on his 900 and couldn't foresee wanting to use it on the 950 that wasn't a consideration for him.

Now, when I saw the 950 in the Sony Store, I thought it was very light--but of course it didn't have a cover on at that time. My husband's 950 is quite a bit heavier than the 900s. Even with the 900 in its case though, it was almost exactly the size/weight of my nook in its case. I like the portability of my 650 quite a bit better than my nook.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Comparing PRS-900 screen size to PRS-650 the difference really gives you a benefit. Would have bought the 950 but it's US only and i don't want to import this time. PDF's on the 950 would be much better than on the 650 in terms of size.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Jerry--
My husband reads a lot of technical PDFs. He had a 900 and has since upgraded to the 650. He said he actually likes the way the 650 works with PDFs in landscape mode better than the 900/950. The 650 will split the PDF into two sections when displaying landscape whereas the 900/950 will split it into thirds. Of course the text on the 650 is smaller than the text on the 950, but per my husband is still very readable.

He decided to go with the 650 mostly because of the size. The added cost of the 950 was a factor as well. Since he doesn't use the wireless connection on his 900 and couldn't foresee wanting to use it on the 950 that wasn't a consideration for him.

Now, when I saw the 950 in the Sony Store, I thought it was very light--but of course it didn't have a cover on at that time. My husband's 950 is quite a bit heavier than the 900s. Even with the 900 in its case though, it was almost exactly the size/weight of my nook in its case. I like the portability of my 650 quite a bit better than my nook.

dordale
Not sure what your husband's settings are, but viewing pdf's in landscape can be viewed either as a single or double page. Having used a 6 in Kobo, the extra inch makes a big difference when zooming at least 2x even in portrait mode, with all the text visible on the screen. Once locked ( I love that feature) it's perfect.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I will drop some PDF's on it tonight and see how it goes, I could go either way I just got tired of waiting on my 650 and lucked into the 950 at Bestbuy.

JJ
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
When I had a 900, the screen's aspect ratio just looked weird to me. Instead of seeing it as extra length, my eyes perceived the screen as being too narrow. Since the 7" screen doesn't really offer more width than the 6" screen, unless you're reading PDFs formatted for legal-size paper, or you like reading in short, chunky columns in landscape mode, the extra screen space doesn't improve readability. I probably could have gotten used the the dimensions, but I hated the 900's dull, glossy screen, and I sold it after about a month of light use. Sony's new touch screens are fabulous, so spending time reading and getting used to it wouldn't be a problem with the 950.

Portability will not be an issue no matter which model you choose. I thought the 900 was quite sleek and the 950 is even smaller. Still, if you don't care about the wireless features, the 650 would serve you just as well as the 950.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I have both the 650 and 950 and am going to see which one I like and return the other. I am leaning towards keeping the 650, as for general reading, the 950 is a bit too long and narrow. For me, the added wifi and cell capability are useless -- I'd rather go through a computer. Certainly, the 950 does not begin to compare to something like the iPad for web surfing. Both devices seem very well-made and designed, and, aside from wireless connectivity, seem to have the identical software. Another thing: the case with light works well on the 650. I don't have one for the 950, but I suspect the device is too long for the light (which seems identical to the one on the 650 case) and that the whole screen would not be readable. The main advantage of the 950 for me is that you don't have to turn pages as often, but its form factor is certainly less comfortable than the 650's.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I have both the 650 and 950 and am going to see which one I like and return the other. I am leaning towards keeping the 650, as for general reading, the 950 is a bit too long and narrow. For me, the added wifi and cell capability are useless -- I'd rather go through a computer. Certainly, the 950 does not begin to compare to something like the iPad for web surfing. Both devices seem very well-made and designed, and, aside from wireless connectivity, seem to have the identical software. Another thing: the case with light works well on the 650. I don't have one for the 950, but I suspect the device is too long for the light (which seems identical to the one on the 650 case) and that the whole screen would not be readable. The main advantage of the 950 for me is that you don't have to turn pages as often, but its form factor is certainly less comfortable than the 650's.
Please let me know, I am kicking around the same thing. I have had no issues with my 950 so far, Talked to Sony yesterday about my 650 and its still processing even though they have had it almost a month now, it was just an exchange how hard is it to walk in the back grab a new one and ship it out!!!

JJ
Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Just an update, I was in Best buy and they still had the 900 and 600 on display and the side by side there is a noticeable difference in the screen real estate. So I will probably be keeping the 950.

JJ
Old 10-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
I am leaning towards keeping the 650, as for general reading, the 950 is a bit too long and narrow.
The 950 is only slightly smaller in width and length than my old Kindle 2, but with an inch more screen real estate, so I don't have any problem with its shape at all. I just wish Best Buy could get them in my neck of the woods so I can use up some gift cards.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote