Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Sigil Find

I have run into this several times and will finally ask for help.

The following code appears at the end of each chapter and I wish to remove it.
Code:
  <p><br />
  <br />
  <br /></p>
Find is set to NORMAL and FIND ALL and reports that it cannot find it.

What am I doing wrong?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have run into this several times and will finally ask for help.

The following code appears at the end of each chapter and I wish to remove it.
Code:
  <p><br />
  <br />
  <br /></p>
Find is set to NORMAL and FIND ALL and reports that it cannot find it.

What am I doing wrong?
You probably forgot the non printing "newlines" and tabs/spaces that vary and you can't see them in Sigil

If you copy and paste, you also some times can pick them pick up Or there is a leading spaces/tabs on each line.
you could try (wildcard, with extreme care, if replace all.)
Code:
 *<p><br />?
?<br />?
?<br /></p>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You probably forgot the non printing "newlines" and tabs/spaces that vary and you can't see them in Sigil

If you copy and paste, you also some times can pick them pick up Or there is a leading spaces/tabs on each line.
you could try (wildcard, with extreme care, if replace all.)
Code:
 *<p><br />?
?<br />?
?<br /></p>
Thanks. I suspected some such. However, with no "TRYOUT" IN Sigil and no global undo I avoid wildcards. The same is true of regex. There is no way to pretest and say, "Whoops" "Lets try again."

The joys of a developing system.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
However, with no "TRYOUT" IN Sigil and no global undo I avoid wildcards. The same is true of regex. There is no way to pretest and say, "Whoops" "Lets try again."
Set your regex to look in the current file and hit 'Find Next'. Check that it's found only the passage you want to change and hit 'Replace'. You can undo this if there was a problem with your regex.

The lack of undo only applies to 'Replace All', but Sigil does provide a way to test and debug your regex before using that.

But for simple passages such as the one you describe, it's easiest just to copy and paste the code into the Find box. Sometimes you need to do that twice because Sigil will refactor any nonstandard newlines.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I suspected some such. However, with no "TRYOUT" IN Sigil and no global undo I avoid wildcards. The same is true of regex. There is no way to pretest and say, "Whoops" "Lets try again."

The joys of a developing system.
You have a "Tryout mode" even if you did not know it.
It is called "Save", just before you try something. Then if something 's on you,
Just (re)Load (from recent list) with "Discard" the current when asked

I Use that "feature" a lot
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You have a "Tryout mode" even if you did not know it.
It is called "Save", just before you try something. Then if something 's on you,
Just (re)Load (from recent list) with "Discard" the current when asked

I Use that "feature" a lot
You, my friend, are obviously a genius.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
You, my friend, are obviously a genius.
The reason I have 2 feet, is so I can still hop up and down after I foot-shoot myself.
Lots of practice