Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Syncing Problems

I've been trying to update my library on my desktop app and sync my Kobo for two days now and I keep getting this error:

"We were not able to sync your account. Please try again at a later time. If this continues please contact customer support."

I've tried again at a later time...I've contacted customer support...they asked me if I've added anything to my computer (which I haven't), and they said as a last resort, uninstall and re-install the desktop app. I did that and I'm still getting the same error.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue?
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Wipe your cache on the computer. Sometimes pages like this get stuck (probably a better word out there someplace...)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
StealthyScribe
Feverish

Tried that...still not working, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
For the past week or so I have been getting a similar error with the Borders app (the Australian version of the Kobo app) which says "There was an error connecting to the network. Please try synchronizing later."
As I had to down load the Kobo app to get a book that I bought from Kobobooks.com I have given up trying with the Borders app.
All my books are also in ADE which seems much less temperamental and a lot safer.
Can you use ADE to get your books?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
StealthyScribe
Feverish

I could use ADE but I don't because usually when I upload a book the covers are different than the one I purchased and there are always tiny page numbers on the pages that I find distracting.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
qwiggles
qwiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Same problem.

"We were not able to sync your account. Please try again at a later time. If this continues please contact customer support."

And then,
"There was an error connecting to the network. Please try synchronizing later."
qwiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
StealthyScribe
Feverish

It's still happening to me. I've got an open ticket with Kobo, but so far nothing they've suggested has worked.

I just checked my ticket...they've asked me if I've upgraded to v1.4 yet...I told them I have but the way the response to me was worded it looks like they're asking me to re-upgrade. I don't get how this would help...I'm trying to upgrade my library without the device being plugged in and it's not working. When I plugged it in and tried to sync I get the same error. This seems to be a desktop app error, not a device problem.

Last edited by StealthyScribe; 08-13-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
It's still happening to me. I've got an open ticket with Kobo, but so far nothing they've suggested has worked.
I don't use this method, so pardon my question if stupid.
Is there any chance to copy the book to the device and let
it stay there?
Also, I did not try out to add new books. How it behaves?
Does it reprocess all again?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I've been trying to update my library on my desktop app and sync my Kobo for two days now and I keep getting this error:

I've tried again at a later time...I've contacted customer support...they asked me if I've added anything to my computer (which I haven't), and they said as a last resort, uninstall and re-install the desktop app. I did that and I'm still getting the same error.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue?
I'm guessing you're on the Kobo app. I just tried and I'm able to connect ok. Do you get the error when Updating your library or syncing the Kobo? I just tried updating library, but as soon as that's done I'll try syncing the Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiggles View Post
Same problem.

And then,
"There was an error connecting to the network. Please try synchronizing later."
Hey qwiggles, what were you doing when you got the first error, and then when did you get the second error. Would help to know the context.

Quote:

I just checked my ticket...they've asked me if I've upgraded to v1.4 yet...I told them I have but the way the response to me was worded it looks like they're asking me to re-upgrade. I don't get how this would help...I'm trying to upgrade my library without the device being plugged in and it's not working. When I plugged it in and tried to sync I get the same error. This seems to be a desktop app error, not a device problem.
Have you always had this problem? Might sound silly, but if it used to work and now doesn't, try:
1. Reboot if you have not already. (Hard reboot)
2. Uninstall / reinstall the desktop application

Also, try on another computer and see if you can isolate the issue to just on computer, or if it happens across many computers, which means the issue is either with the app or our servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I don't use this method, so pardon my question if stupid.
Is there any chance to copy the book to the device and let
it stay there?
Also, I did not try out to add new books. How it behaves?
Does it reprocess all again?
I usually recommend you use the Kobo desktop app sync. Adding new books will only process the delta (new books) except if it will grab and synchronize bookmarks from each of the books that are already there. (This is when using the Kobo desktop app).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
StealthyScribe
Feverish

Hi Sameer...I get the error when I click "update library" AND when I have the device plugged in and click "sync". I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the desktop app and it still doesn't work. I've rebooted, I've cleared the cache on my computer, nothing is fixing the issue. I don't have another computer to try it out on...even if I did I wouldn't want to because I'd like to be able to upload books from my own system, instead of always having to use someone elses.

This has been happening since August 6, so as it stands right now, the only books I'm ever going to be able to have on my Kobo are the ones I've currently got. Very frustrating.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I usually recommend you use the Kobo desktop app sync. Adding new books will only process the delta (new books) except if it will grab and synchronize bookmarks from each of the books that are already there. (This is when using the Kobo desktop app).
I asked how db behaves on adding single book manually to the reader?
Since I put all of my converts in a single shot and had hour of processing,
I hesitate to do it again. I assume battery drained a bit, since I had just
about 1000 clicks till graphics did show low, but not empty.
So, it is not the answer like this to be correct:
1. install win
2. install desktop app
My bet is that free books are overrated. Having update as simple as
possible, with web access to download section for them, would be
less problem loaded. Who knows if uncompressing them is not the
reason for hangs.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #12
StealthyScribe
Feverish

Just got another reply from Kobo...and the solution to fixing the issue according to whoever is handling my ticket is to just use ADE instead of their desktop app.

I'm furious that they've told me this. I would LOVE to use ADE instead but books never show up properly for me when I do. The little page numbers irritate me, plus the covers are different once they're on the Kobo.

So I'm going to give Calibre a try, but have absolutely no idea how to use it. For those who do, do your books show up properly once on the device? No annoying tiny page numbers anywhere on the page except at the bottom where they should be? Anyone out there who can give me a quick Calibre lesson? I purchase my books from Kobo, so I'm assuming I start by downloading the ePub...but where do I download it to and what do I do with it after that? How do I get it onto my Kobo?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.