Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
<hr> as section separator?

This isn't really a Sigil question--if there's a better place to ask generic CSS questions, please let me know.

The book I'm working on uses a short horizontal line to separate sections within a chapter. So my inclination was to use this in my html:

Code:
<hr class="sep" />
and this in my stylesheet:

Code:
hr.sep
{
width: 72px;
text-align: center;
}
Looks fine in Book Preview, but on the device, the <hr> is left-aligned.

My question: is there an industry-standard way to render a section separator like this?

Thanks in advance!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
This isn't really a Sigil question--if there's a better place to ask generic CSS questions, please let me know.

The book I'm working on uses a short horizontal line to separate sections within a chapter. So my inclination was to use this in my html:

Code:
<hr class="sep" />
and this in my stylesheet:

Code:
hr.sep
{
}

My question: is there an industry-standard way to render a section separator like this?

Thanks in advance!
In devices based on ADE, the text-align property doesn't work for the <hr> tag. So, you must use a workaround to center the rule. First, work with percentages to fix the rule width (72px is about 12% of the device width); knowing that and that you want to center the rule, you need to establish a left margin of (100% - 12%) / 2 = 44%. Of that way, in your css stylesheet you should use the following code:

Code:
hr.sep
{
width: 12%;
margin-left: 44%;
}
After that you should have your rule centered in your device

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
After that you should have your rule centered in your device

Regards
Rubén
Yes, that worked--thanks!!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might like to look at this thread for other ideas Dividers and fleurons
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
orange!
Born to be wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You might like to look at this thread for other ideas Dividers and fleurons
Excellent--thanks! Plus I learned a new word "fleuron"!
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Moderator Notice
Moved to the ePub section. Could also be in Workshop, but since you are using Sigil, I guess you are creating an ePub.

Quote:
Code:
hr.sep
{
}
In fact, it isn't. You just have to understand what is happening here:

1. The <hr> element is just a block element (like <p> or <div>) with a default border, that we see as a "rule".

2. The "text-align" property does not control the position of an element itself, but rather of its content. Since <hr> has no content, there's no use in specifying text-align.

And of course, when you force the width of a block element (like <hr>) to less than 100%, it will typically stay at the left. You could think of specifying "text-aling:center" in the container element (probably <body>), but I'm afraid that will only affect inline elements, not block ones. Or you try with "margin:0 auto", which should ensure that left and right margins in <hr> are equal (thus centering the element), unfortunatelly Adobe-based readers chose to interpret the "auto" value as "0", which is allowed by the spec. The Book view uses a different renderer that obeys auto margins, and probably has that value as default.

So, the solution is as Rubén said, specify at least margin-left. Why 44%, just because you set 12% width, and (100-12)/2 = 44.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
You might want to look at this or this for some ideas.

I have used something like
Code:
.hr90{
	color: #404040;
	margin-left: 5%;
	margin-right: 5%;
}
and
Code:
<hr class="hr90" />
for a quick and dirty, but nicely centred separator.

Last edited by DomesticExtremis; 06-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
orange!
Born to be wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Moved to the ePub section. Could also be in Workshop, but since you are using Sigil, I guess you are creating an ePub.
Jellby, thanks for moving me to the right place and for the explanation about text-align.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
You might want to look at this or this for some ideas.
DomesticExtremis, thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
color: #404040;
Does the color gray actually render as such on e-readers?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
It does on my Kobo Mini - I can't speak for other e-readers.
The following ePub has some greyscales and test images.
Mine only seems to display eight discernible levels of grey.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
It will render but not necessarily distinguish between nearby gray values. Read out wiki article on Grayscale to understand the exact values used on various readers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Well, I have been playing around myself with styling <hr> tags in ePubs and decided to add a section to my EPUB Feature Peeker
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
I needed to mark up a book with two different types of separator. One a solid line and the other a dashed line, both in the centre of the page. A regular <hr/> accompanied with identical left and right margins to center it worked fine.

But once I started trying to show two different styles I struggled to get my Kobo Aura HD to render <hr/> separators properly. They displayed fine in Sigil and fine in Calibre. But the Kobo was showing them in a barely visible grey colour until I came up with the following:

Code:
hr.line {
    border-color: black;
    border-top: medium solid black;
    border-left: none;
    border-right: none;
    border-bottom: none;
    height:0px;
    margin-bottom: 2em;
    margin-left: 42%;
    margin-right: 42%;
    margin-top: 2em;
    }
hr.dashes {
    border-color: black;
    border-top: medium dashed black;
    border-left: none;
    border-right: none;
    border-bottom: none;
    height:0px;
    margin-bottom: 2em;
    margin-left: 42%;
    margin-right: 42%;
    margin-top: 2em;
    }
And the html:
Code:
<hr class="line" />
or
Code:
<hr class="dashes" />
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
DomesticExtremis
Addict

For a 'plain' hr you need to set the background-color
property - it defaults to transparent.