Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
tosk
tosk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Book covers not showing up?

Hi all. I use calibre to maintain my Kindle Fire HDX library. I had a lot of ebook files which didn't have covers, so I went ahead and downloaded them and edited the ebooks' metadata so that they would have covers. I keep all of my books in the .azw3 format for convenience and so that all my books show up in the 'book' section of my HDX as opposed to the docs.

Whenever I go to the 'books' section, I can see all the book covers. However when I'm on the home screen, where the books I've recently had open show up, for most of the books I get a default image with the name of the book and author. For a few books whose covers I didn't download and apply myself, I can see them on the home screen, so I know this is somehow fixable.

Can anyone tell me how to make it so I can see my book covers on the home screen? Is it a question of image dimensions or what? Haha. Thanks in advance,

Tosk
tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Install the Quality Check plugin. There is an option to fix the ASIN "for the Kindle Fire". It will embed an ASIN in the book, which will tell the Fire to use the supplied image.

You may also have to set the PDOC tag equal to [EBOK] so calibre will send that image over.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
tosk
tosk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
That did not work, but thanks.
tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
After adding covers using the metadata editing window in Calibre, try reconverting the book (you may be able to embed the cover image into the file using the 'polish book' tool without reconverting - I'm not able to check that at the moment) . Also, be sure the cover image is an appropriate size.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Polish Book DOES work on the .azw3 format.

Of course, this should already be done when you click Send-to-device. But best to make sure.
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
asifbymagic
asifbymagic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi I am having this same problem and I saw that the "polish tool" worked... But stupid me, I dont know what the polish tool is and I have searched every corner of my calibre. Please help? Im getting so frustrated...
asifbymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It uses the shortcut key "P".
You can also add it to the menus using Preferences ==> Look and Feel ==> Toolbars.

I hope this fixes the problem for you -- I saw in the other thread you already tried Quality Check embed ASIN and I think the only reason this should fail is if the cover was not properly identified in the book.

Polish Book can embed it properly.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
covers only show on the carousel if they are a certain size, anything too large or too small does not work. get the resize cover calibre plug-in & make your covers 600 x 900 if they are not showing up. Worked for me for HDX 8.9. there's a thread somewhere with the exact size ranges- they may vary by device.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaisTina View Post
[This person has been banned for spamming us with a hiddent link - MODERATOR]
The Kindle Fire doesn't have somewhere accessible for calibre to sideload the thumbnail, like it does with the e-ink Kindles? Odd, since I am fairly sure changing the cover in calibre does work, rather than forcing you to use the thumbnail from the Amazon Product Page...

I don't have a Kindle Fire, but thinking back to when I set up calibre for a friend's library, I am pretty sure the covers transferred immediately, despite there being no WiFi at the time. I know on the e-ink models it will never download covers except for Cloud items.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-14-2014 at 08:53 AM.