Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
N2Aos

I saw the website for the N2Aos for the Kindle fire (Original) and I did some reading and decided to give it a try. It does cost $20 but I believe it is worth it. I love android 4.2.2 and that is what this is, the install software does all the work, it roots the Kindle then it clears the device and installs android 4.2.2. I have been using it since I did the install this past Saturday and I have not had any issues with it, there are a lot of configuring that can be done to get it to work for you and it is rooted. This also includes any upgrades that come along for the OS. This does completely remove the Amazon Kindle and Prime from the device and gives you Google Play. You can install Amazon Apps if you would like.
I went this way due to the fact that I have not been able to do the rooting myself and the ROM change in the past, and I was getting to the point I was not using the device anymore. This has given me a working Android tablet that of course does not have bluetooth or the mic. But that is ok with me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Are you still able to access Amazon videos? I use that a lot.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
n2aos
n2aos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi iPatty,

Yes, you can still enjoy your Prime videos using N2Aos. The tutorial pdf can be found easily in our FAQs.

Dave V
N2Aos Support
n2aos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Dave
I was wondering that myself.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life

Also I want to say that I am loving my Kindle Fire now that I have found N2Aos and I am glad to see that you are on here monitoring.
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life

I followed the FAQs and it works great thank so much
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life

Dave one other question. I do have issues with the volume control widget crashing at times. Seems to happen when I am in say Facebook, and I also had it to happen in the Dolphin Browser. Is this something that can be taken care of.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
n2aos

Absolutely, we are releasing an update that will fix that in a few days. In the meantime here are the instructions to do it manually if you want too...

1. Remove Widget
Tap N2A Settings
Tap Apps
Tap Best Volume
Tap Disable

2. Enable 7 Inch Tablet mode
Tap N2A Settings
Tap System
Tap Status
Untick Tablet status bar by tapping it

3. Enable new volume control
Tap N2A Settings
Tap System
Tap Navigation buttons
Tap Buttons and layout
Tap locked in upper right hand corner until it says Editable
Tap the + on the right hand side
Tap Volume
Tap Editable until it says locked

You can tap the speaker icon at any time to change the volume.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life

Thank you so much.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Been using my kindle fire for a week now with the N2Aos and I have to say I love it. And it is only a little slow if I have too many apps open. Thanks so much to N2A for this firmware it has put new life to a device that I was getting ready to give away or in some way get rid of.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
I'm a pretty satisfied customer, myself! It's a lot of fun having a different operating system to play with, and discovering new things. Being able to get Nook and Sony Reader apps on the system so easily has been great, and finding new apps in Google Play is very cool.

As a newbie to a non-Amazon Android system, I'm wondering about shortcuts or other tips that I'd need to know. For example, how do you easily close running apps? Can I make the bottom menu bar go away in running apps, to give more screen space (esp. in MoboPlayer)?

Is there a "New to Android" user guide anybody would recommend?
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
n2aos

There are quite a few out there for the Nexus 7, which is essentially the same thing. I shared one with you now through Kindle to see what you think.
- http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Nexus-St.../dp/B0097TWEHM

Other inexpensive Nexus 7 books to try,

- http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Th.../dp/B008NEZYC4
- http://www.amazon.com/Equipping-The-.../dp/B008URBR20
- http://www.amazon.com/Maximizing-The.../dp/B008ZBPBAA
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2aos View Post
There are quite a few out there for the Nexus 7, which is essentially the same thing. I shared one with you now through Kindle to see what you think.
- http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Nexus-St.../dp/B0097TWEHM

Other inexpensive Nexus 7 books to try,

- http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Th.../dp/B008NEZYC4
- http://www.amazon.com/Equipping-The-.../dp/B008URBR20
- http://www.amazon.com/Maximizing-The.../dp/B008ZBPBAA
Thanks for the links, and the loan--really nice of you to do this!
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
My thanks also. Here is my home page. It is a bit tricky to manage to press the power button and tap on the screen at the same time without turning the device off.

Ops - I was doing it the hard way ... a press and hold till the menu appears is all it takes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-29-21-23-18.png
Views:	491
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	107540  

Last edited by cicsos2; 07-04-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: better way
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
n2aos

I'm glad you both are enjoying it!! Also, for future reference, Android has a screenshot option built-in when you hold down the power button to turn it off. They just think of everything