Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
nhasian
nhasian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
hello from Arizona

Hello everyone,

I've been eyeing the Sony PRS500 since before it was released. I watched the release date slip from summer of 2006 to fall of 2006 to xmas of 2006. I finally bit the bullet today and bought one from the local CompUSA store that was going out of business. I got 30% off the retail price! Plus i still got the $50 ebook credit from the sony connect so i'm one happy camper.

Now i need to start looking for good places to get ebooks from. oh and thanks to Alex_d's PDFrasterFarian I can read PDF files now too. yay!

Last edited by nhasian; 03-19-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: change of topic
nhasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead. Always good to have another Sony Reader member.

Congratulations on the price. $105 direct + $50 credit is great.

As for eBooks outside the CONNECT store, many of us are hard core fans of Gutenberg and ManyBooks. Both of which provide many classics in open source files and ManyBooks also provides books in LRF for the Reader. Another developing site for fine formatted bookes is FeedBooks. All are well worth a visit.

If you are a Science Fiction fan there is a whole shelf of SciFi available as a downloadable CD from Gutenberg and over 9 CDs worth of material from Baen plus their own rotating free download section at the Baen Free Library.

There are also a number of sites that offer DRM free books that can be loaded. You will find many of the authors here at MobileRead. One that I have gotten a few books from is Steve Jordan. Last time I checked he was even offering two titles for free.

There are also some additional conversion utilities available on the MobileRead Wiki Conversion page that may assist you in getting the formats exactly right for the Reader. If you go with RTF, be sure to checkout Stingo's Word Macro. I have had great success with BookDesigner that produces LRF files for the Reader that are about 1/10th the size of RTF files.

Hope that this helps you get started.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert