Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly99 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude with the question I'm about to ask--Calibre is one of the best programs out there...but what possible advantage is this change? I honestly don't understand why someone would want to have duplicate copies of their books/media on their computer.

Is this something mandatory from Apple?
The architectural change was introduced in 0.8.7 by Kovid. As the developer of the Apple driver, I was notified that Apple driver could no longer rely on paths to calibre's copy before the release of 0.8.7. It's Kovid's program and he makes the architectural decisions. I could have delayed the change for a rev or two, but it was going to happen either way, so I decided to get something out there for feedback.

Kovid needs to respond to the architectural question.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-25-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: revisionist history
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
OK, that makes sense. So with this new option, we can choose to either:
1. Let Calibre's send-to-iTunes copies remain where ever it is they are created (presumably we can choose that location) and it will essentially be a separate folder of books used in the iTunes library
To be more specific, if the 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder...' option is enabled in iTunes, iTunes will create copies in the iTunes Media folder location you have specified in the same dialog.
If the options are disabled, the local copies will be stored in a subdirectory of your calibre configuration directory called 'iTunes storage'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
2. We can delete the books in iTunes as soon as we are done putting them on our devices. This will clean up the extra copy, and we'll just have to send it from Calibre if we ever lose it from the device and need to re add it.

If I'm reading all that correctly, #2 sounds pretty painless for those of us who don't want iTunes to make copies of our files.
Correct, and agreed, pretty painless.

G
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly99 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude with the question I'm about to ask--Calibre is one of the best programs out there...but what possible advantage is this change? I honestly don't understand why someone would want to have duplicate copies of their books/media on their computer.

Is this something mandatory from Apple?
calibre is going to start supporting networked backends. In a networked backend, there are no local copies of files in the calibre library. That means that when a file is sent to itunes, it either has to store the copy or calibre has to send the copy somewhere else and tell itunes to read from it.

And even apart from the network backend, linking itunes to files in the calibre library is not a good design. Say you change the title/author in calibre, itunes will lose track of the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
I take it this only applies to people use use iBooks (for example) as eBooks transferred this way to the iPhone or iPad cannot be 'seen' by Stanza. (I can't comment on other eBook readers as I havent tried them.)

Any clarification will be appreciated.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
I take it this only applies to people use use iBooks (for example) as eBooks transferred this way to the iPhone or iPad cannot be 'seen' by Stanza. (I can't comment on other eBook readers as I havent tried them.)

Any clarification will be appreciated.
Correct - this applies only when using iTunes as the intermediary to transfer books from calibre to an iDevice with iBooks.

It does not affect using calibre's content server to transfer ebooks directly to an iOS reader app via Safari, or using OPDS-enabled apps (like Stanza) which can talk to calibre's content server.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-25-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Thanks GRiker. That change will work for me.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #22
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre is going to start supporting networked backends. In a networked backend, there are no local copies of files in the calibre library.
Hi Kovid, forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that there will no longer be the traditional, local, Calibre library as we know it? I would still like my Calibre library to be local as I have no interest at this time in using any form of cloud computing. Will a local library still be possible?

Thanks.

PS: I mean local library with copies of my books.
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will have the option to continue to use a local library if you so desire. The iTunes driver however, has to be able to work with both types of storage backends.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You will have the option to continue to use a local library if you so desire. The iTunes driver however, has to be able to work with both types of storage backends.
Great, that's reassuring. Thank you.
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #25
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Correct - this applies only when using iTunes as the intermediary to transfer books from calibre to an iDevice with iBooks.

It does not affect using calibre's content server to transfer ebooks directly to an iOS reader app via Safari, or using OPDS-enabled apps (like Stanza) which can talk to calibre's content server.

G
Thank you for the clarification, and I guess also another thanks for creating Calibre
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
Kayenne
Kayenne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I apologize in advance for being such a doofus, but does this only affect apple products/readers? I've only just gotten Calibre and I'm still getting to know it and now I don't know whether to update or not....
Kayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayenne View Post
I apologize in advance for being such a doofus, but does this only affect apple products/readers? I've only just gotten Calibre and I'm still getting to know it and now I don't know whether to update or not....
Welcome to MR.

This change affects books sent via iTunes to Apple devices.
No Apple reading devices,

No worries
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
Kayenne
Kayenne began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Welcome to MR.

This change affects books sent via iTunes to Apple devices.
No Apple reading devices,

No worries
Thank you And thank you for the swift reply.
Kayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #29
GRiker

I've revised the initial post in this thread to be correct for the next (0.8.8) release. After 0.8.8 is released, I'll unstick this thread and start a new sticky with just the revised contents of the first post so we can have a fresh start.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One detail from the new first post:

Quote:
If you are concerned about storage space on your system, you can immediately sync with your iDevice, then remove the transferred books from the connected iTunes device using the calibre GUI.
The CALIBRE GUI?

I thought it needed to be deleted via the ITUNES GUI:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
The current implementation will delete the book from the local storage when the user deletes the book from the connected device, i.e. iTunes.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, idevice, ipad, iphone