Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
True but people who want to be able to read comfortably for a long period of time are more likely to prefer the e-ink readers to a LCD reader.

Then again, maybe they are counting on folks wandering into the store who have no knowledge of e-readers, tablets, and netbooks and deciding on the Nook 2.

Did they say they were still going to sell the Nook?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Seems a bit early to say for sure, since the software is still in a nascent stage.

My concern is the same as someone else already cited, namely that it's likely to be close in price to a full-fledged tablet, which will be far more capable.

If/when the price comes down though, it may work out better for them.
I guess it comes down to what you consider close? so far the only REAL Android Tablet and not those junky ones sold at Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond, is the Samsung Galaxy S Tab due out in a couple of weeks itself. And the cheapest one so far will be $400 with a 2 year contract.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #48
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Christmas is coming. The IPad is doing well. Count on a bunch of tablets, many with WiFi and no contracts, under $400.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #49
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
True but people who want to be able to read comfortably for a long period of time are more likely to prefer the e-ink readers to a LCD reader.

Then again, maybe they are counting on folks wandering into the store who have no knowledge of e-readers, tablets, and netbooks and deciding on the Nook 2.

I agree, I think anyone who is an avid reader will most likely pass on this. But again they aren't shelving their eink nook either. So it's a choice.

This will shine for people who like to read alot magazines, newspapers and an occasional book.

It does have great potential for parents of young children. Kids respond to color, eink won't cut it. It really wont.

this has great potential for a niche product.

I'm considering it for papers and magazines and if the web browser is solid, then I'm sold.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #50
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Christmas is coming. The IPad is doing well. Count on a bunch of tablets, many with WiFi and no contracts, under $400.

I don't know we'll see, Verizon is going to be charging over $600 for the Samsung, I don't see a dramtic price cut to come within striking distance of the Nook color, I just don't , not that much.
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The Nook isn't going away. B&N will have two devices for two different markets. They won't compete against each other, but rather compliment each other.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #52
boswd
Banned

now if they really want this to suceed, they are going to have to run commericials, in store guerilla marketing wont' cut it.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't know we'll see, Verizon is going to be charging over $600 for the Samsung, I don't see a dramtic price cut to come within striking distance of the Nook color, I just don't , not that much.
Are the only people making tablets the cellphone folks? Netbooks are so insanely cheap that I would imagine a good netbook manufacturer could probably sell a tablet for around $250.

I am not all that tech savy so I cold be wrong but I don't really see why tablets have to be that expensive.

And if a good tablet comes out in the same price range you will probably be able to download Nook for Android on it and use your Nook account there.

I guess I don't see why B&N would get into the tablet market. Yes, it is significantly different then the Kindle but it is different enough from an e-reader to not be of interest to people in that market. Folks looking for a tablet are not likely to think B&N.

Weird decision if you ask me.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #54
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Are the only people making tablets the cellphone folks? Netbooks are so insanely cheap that I would imagine a good netbook manufacturer could probably sell a tablet for around $250.

I am not all that tech savy so I cold be wrong but I don't really see why tablets have to be that expensive.

And if a good tablet comes out in the same price range you will probably be able to download Nook for Android on it and use your Nook account there.

I guess I don't see why B&N would get into the tablet market. Yes, it is significantly different then the Kindle but it is different enough from an e-reader to not be of interest to people in that market. Folks looking for a tablet are not likely to think B&N.

Weird decision if you ask me.
I don't know. I think this actually does fill a void. There are advantages that a touchsceen LCD can accoplish that eink just can't, at least not for a while. The animation, different functionality you can do, that people love on the iPad. It'll be great magazines, childrens books,text books, comics, Magna, PDF just work better on LCD than eink.

The price is pretty affordable. I think it grabs the " I want all the capabilites of what the iPad can offer in an ereader but don't want to pay that much"
At $250 the nook color comes in to play.

I watched the demo, this has some nice features, really nice. The specs are high end. it uses an LG IPS panal, IPS are pretty much the top of line. it has a 1024 x 600 resolution. The screen is going to very very sharp.

I'm very interested. But I'll keep my origianl nook for reading novels but the Nook color for webbrowsing , magazines and newspapers etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #55
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
I guess it comes down to what you consider close? so far the only REAL Android Tablet and not those junky ones sold at Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond, is the Samsung Galaxy S Tab due out in a couple of weeks itself. And the cheapest one so far will be $400 with a 2 year contract.
I've never actually held one in my hands, but the Archos tablets seam to get good reviews.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I've never actually held one in my hands, but the Archos tablets seam to get good reviews.
CNET doesn't like them and usually gives them bad reviews.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #57
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I really don't think their strategy is to sell an android tablet. They are trying to create a brand with nook and want to set nook apart from the kindle in the ebook market. It will have apps, but the focus is ebooks, digital magazines, etc and that will be their strategy. Getting ebooks more mass market with a full color reader. I'm expecting comic book support to come as well.
I hope you're right about their strategy. This isn't a tablet, nor is it, I think, meant to be one.

Quote:
I don't know. I think this actually does fill a void. There are advantages that a touchsceen LCD can accoplish that eink just can't, at least not for a while. The animation, different functionality you can do, that people love on the iPad. It'll be great magazines, childrens books,text books, comics, Magna, PDF just work better on LCD than eink.

The price is pretty affordable. I think it grabs the " I want all the capabilites of what the iPad can offer in an ereader but don't want to pay that much"
At $250 the nook color comes in to play.

I watched the demo, this has some nice features, really nice. The specs are high end. it uses an LG IPS panal, IPS are pretty much the top of line. it has a 1024 x 600 resolution. The screen is going to very very sharp.

I'm very interested. But I'll keep my origianl nook for reading novels but the Nook color for webbrowsing , magazines and newspapers etc.
It's pretty (SHINY!!), LOL. I can see lots of people going for the color experience. And as long as they go into it looking for a READER, not a TABLET, it should satisfy the eyecandy loving portion of the marketplace.
I just got my Sony, and love it, and don't need anything else (I already have the Asus, which converts to a tablet configuration). But it is pretty.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #58
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I think it's pretty too!
And I'm thinking how much I would love to have something like this for magazines (as I look at all of the piles of magazines stacked around here)! I'm also thinking "good-bye clutter"! Being able to buy one issue or a whole subscription is a nice option too! My Sony for books and this for magazines! Of course I'm dreaming. I can't afford any new gadgets right now, even if it's cheaper than an iPad.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #59
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In the long term, Android tablets will put price pressure on the Nook Color (why is this more expensive than the Nook WiFi, given that the LCD screen is probably cheaper than the EInk screen?). The price difference is still large enough that the Nook Color can distance itself from the iPad, but this would be even more true if the Nook Color was $199.
Agree. Price must be the same as for Velocity Micro - CRUZ Reader - $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858274004
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Agree. Price must be the same as for Velocity Micro - CRUZ Reader - $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858274004
You can't compare the two. The Cruz is a low end color reader and the Nook is a high end color reader. The Nook is worth the extra $50.