Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on calibre's new toolbar icons?
I like the new icons 71 55.04%
I dislike the new icons 33 25.58%
I dont care about icons 15 11.63%
I have better things to do than worry about icons 21 16.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's new icons

Here's a poll so people can express their feelings on calibre's new icons

And please update to 0.7.9 before you post a response as there was a bug in 0.7.8 that affected rendering of the new icons.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only new icon that bugs me is the Save to disk. and it looks a tiny bit better in 7.9.
The new button bar is cool, Until..
The reader attaches.
The moving "Send to device (Why not suppress it until a device is connected? It is not appropriate until then.) All the rest is logical (and neat).
My 2 cents
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well, you asked...

Before going on, I should say that it is easy to criticize, but hard to do. I certainly am 'null' at graphics art. That said ...

1) Looking at the icons, I can't tell what function is behind the ones for add book, convert book, send to device, and library. I need to look at the tooltip.
2) The arrows on the convert icon are similar to the arrows on the recycle icon, but one makes something and one destroys something.
3) The circle-I icon is an international symbol for 'here is information', not 'here change information'.
4) I associate the magnifying glass with search, not open a book.
5) The get news icon looks like a 2nd place prize ribbon. (First place ribbons are blue.)
6) The save to disk icon looks like an oil pump gasket.
7) The preferences icon looks like a strange headphone with a crescent moon over it.
8) In preferences:
-- the send-to-disk icon is used for all of send to disk, add books, and send to device preferences.
-- the magnifying glass appears again, but for advanced options. Nothing to do with viewing books.
-- I don't associate a book with a right-pointing arrow with adjusting calibre's interface. Arrows on books seem to mean adding, deleting, and moving books.
-- in interface, the circle I appears again. It is consistent, though, because it means edit here as well.

I also have a problem with the icons moving around. Having them move means that I can't use position as a clue to the function behind the icon, which exacerbates my confusion over their meaning.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to note: The moving icons are an interim solution until I get around to splitting the send to device action into two actions. Once that's done, there wont be a send to device icon in the normal toolbar (since normally there is no device), instead there will be a Connect/share icon (I can't think of a better name, but it will have the connect to and email to actions) and when a device is connected, the send to device icon will appear with the device actions.

And also the inability to control the toolbar geometry is an interim problem caused by my not having enough time to implement it for 0.7.8.

So when you're voting on the icons, don't let your vote be influenced by that.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Chaley: Did you update to 0.7.9. Upgrading only the source is not sufficient.
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I guess I can't participate in the poll since, because of reports of people not being able to add books and problems with the e-book viewer, I'm waiting for the next upgrade that doesn't have those problems. 0.7.8 is working fine for me.

However, my choice would have been I did like the new icons and have better things to worry about than icons.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you actually like the icons in 0.7.8 go ahead and vote, 0.7.9 just fixes the rendering of the save to disk and preferences icons.

I've attached a pic showing what the icons look like in 0.7.9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icons.png
Views:	420
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	55425  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you actually like the icons in 0.7.8 go ahead and vote, 0.7.9 just fixes the rendering of the save to disk and preferences icons.

I personally like the icons. But on the Mac version of 0.7.9, the heart/donation button is missing.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Go to preferences->interface and enable the donation button (and note that the donation button gets hidden automatically when a device is connected to save space)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Oops. I totally didn't notice that. Thanks!
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
How about an option for no icons, just the text?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
How about an option for no icons, just the text?
Or an option for smaller icons... I like them, but they are huge.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

To quote myself:

Quote:
And also the inability to control the toolbar geometry is an interim problem caused by my not having enough time to implement it for 0.7.8.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I voted that I do not like the new icons mainly because they don't make a whole lot of sense to me - especially the send to device and save to disk, but if I had the text that your attachment has under the icons it would be a lot easier.

Also, I find that I don't need to use the send to device icon anyway - I always use the save to disk so that I can add the book exactly where I want on the device.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 07-19-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:

Curious. I just noticed the Convert icon looks like the recycle symbol on the Windows trashcan.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote