Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
adouma
adouma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (soon)
Ubuntu Jaunty: New version of calibre won't start

Hello all,

My problem is this: I've been running calibre without issue on my Jaunty box for about a month now, but this morning I started it up and got a message that 0.6.15 was available.

So...

Code:
adouma@desktop:~$ sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: 
Will download and install calibre-0.6.15-i686.tar.bz2
                                                                                    Downloading calibre-0.6.15-i686.tar.bz2                                                                                     
100% [======================================================================================================================================================================================================]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Creating symlinks...
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/fetch-ebook-metadata to /usr/bin/fetch-ebook-metadata
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrf2lrs to /usr/bin/lrf2lrs
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-convert to /usr/bin/ebook-convert
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-meta to /usr/bin/ebook-meta
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/pdfmanipulate to /usr/bin/pdfmanipulate
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrfviewer to /usr/bin/lrfviewer
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre to /usr/bin/calibre
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/markdown-calibre to /usr/bin/markdown-calibre
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-debug to /usr/bin/calibre-debug
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel to /usr/bin/calibre-parallel
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/web2disk to /usr/bin/web2disk
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-server to /usr/bin/calibre-server
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-customize to /usr/bin/calibre-customize
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-viewer to /usr/bin/ebook-viewer
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-smtp to /usr/bin/calibre-smtp
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrs2lrf to /usr/bin/lrs2lrf
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-device to /usr/bin/ebook-device
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/librarything to /usr/bin/librarything
	Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibredb to /usr/bin/calibredb
Setting up bash completion...

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up completion failed with error:
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 11, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 367, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs500/driver.py", line 44, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/libusb.py", line 7, in <module>
	  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
	    from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array
	ImportError: libffi.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Trying to setup udev rules...
Installing MAN pages...

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Installing MAN pages failed with error:
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 11, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 367, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs500/driver.py", line 44, in <module>
	  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/libusb.py", line 7, in <module>
	ImportError: libffi.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Setting up desktop integration...
There were 2 warnings
* Setting up completion failed with error:

* Installing MAN pages failed with error:

Run "calibre" to start calibre
I'm pretty in the dark about output like that, but I've included it in case anyone wants to look at it. Then I tried running calibre from the Apps menu - nothing happens. Running it in a terminal produced this:

Code:
adouma@desktop:~$ calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/init.py", line 48, in <module>
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 11, in <module>
Yikes. I tried removing my calibre directory altogether and rerunning everything - no change. A quick google found nothing to do with both 'libffi.so.4' and calibre, so I'm here!

Uh, help please?
adouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Fixed build uploaded. Re-download and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
adouma

Edit: Alas, spoke too soon. I re-downloaded but it just did the same thing again.

What's the best way to completely remove calibre? Maybe a fresh install will work better.

Last edited by adouma; 10-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just delete /opt/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
adouma

Now it's good. Thanks for the help, Kovid, and for calibre in general.
Advert

Tags
calibre, support, ubuntu jaunty