Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #181
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't know for sure, but I have been told that the WinCE version of Mobipocket should work on 5.0, even though it is only supposed to go up to 4.x.
But the problem is whether the version of WinCE supports the S3C2440 (Samsung) version of the ARM920T core. BTW, I've located an SDK for the S3C2440. It's a whopper as the source is, like, 54MB and the ISO is, like, 610MB. I'm still in the process of downloading the ISO - only have 96% to go!!!

Not knowing enough, so I'm guessing, but I would presume the ISO - being so much larger - has the entire toolchain needed to fit itself onto a given embedded platform. It's Linux 2.6.25 BTW - or so it says.

The interesting thing is that YouTIYou.com sells a Samsung S3C2440 Evaluation Kit and on it's site it states that it supports both a Linux 2.6.13 embedded OS and a WinCE 5.0 OS. Hmmm... Isn't WinCE 5.0 the generic version of WindowsMobile 5.0?

And their Evaluation Kits run between $249 and $399, complete - depending upon whether one opts for a 3.5", 4.8" or 7" LCD display. Hmmm... That's almost a reasonable price for OS and toolchain.

Derek

PS the s3c2440 ISO came from RealChecko's blog - just google under "s3c2440 sdk"

Last edited by delphidb96; 05-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #182
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I tend to agree. However, the issue then becomes, is there an already-made solution for the Astak or Netronix WinCE OS of Mobipocket?

Derek
I suspect WinCE is tied to the touch screen verson.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #183
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect WinCE is tied to the touch screen verson.

Dale
Well, yes and no. The EB-200/210 and EB-300/310 are all WinCE devices, but you can choose whether you want WiFi, Bluetooth or Touchscreen or none of those options for either size display, according to Netronix's literature.

Derek
Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #184
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
The interesting thing is that YouTIYou.com sells a Samsung S3C2440 Evaluation Kit and on it's site it states that it supports both a Linux 2.6.13 embedded OS and a WinCE 5.0 OS. Hmmm... Isn't WinCE 5.0 the generic version of WindowsMobile 5.0?
Both Windows Mobile 5 and Windows Mobile 6 run CE 5.0.

Quote:
And their Evaluation Kits run between $249 and $399, complete - depending upon whether one opts for a 3.5", 4.8" or 7" LCD display. Hmmm... That's almost a reasonable price for OS and toolchain.
CE development tools can be downloaded free from Microsoft.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #185
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
I am wondering if anyone has received any words from bookeen about this issue, or somebody has already given a push to FSF against bookeen?
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #186
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
I am wondering if anyone has received any words from bookeen about this issue, or somebody has already given a push to FSF against bookeen?

No word about the exact nature of the source. Since the Cybook Gen3 uses the hardware and OS that one finds in a Netronix EB-100, one can request the SDK from Netronix. Be prepared to shell out $3,500 plus S&H. Or one could just buy an EB-100, download and install some form of Linux 2.6 as well as a cross-compilation toolchain targeting the Samsung S3C24xx series of ARM processors and develop one's own SDK from there. Realistically, except for the Boo Reader (And the Boo Reader is 100% of the software most customers care about.) the Cybook Gen3 is pretty generic. It's the same hardware (Okay, with the latest hardware changes, it's not "quite" the same as the older versions - like mine.) as an EB-100, STAReBOOK STK-101, ExPlay and the soon-to-be-released Astak Mentor series.

Of course, the Eread software most of these implement sux. TTBOMK, it's rather difficult to convert over to the .stk ebook format and I'm not all that impressed by the creation software. Using either Mobipocket Creator, Mobigen or BookDesigner, one can do a much better job of creating a mobi ebook from PDF, LIT, TXT or HTML sources.

While I'm not thrilled with the latest update, kudos to Bookeen for choosing a decent target ebook format.

Derek
Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #187
terrangirl
terrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Cybook Orizon
although this is not actually about the gen3... still it is about gpl violation from Bookeen.
I have a Cybook orizon, and in the devise there is stored a GPL, but no source code on Bookeen's site for Orizon!!!

so as a first step I posted the following on Bookeen's page on Facebook
Quote:
Hi I have recently purchased a Cybook Orizon. One of the main reasons I chose a Bookeen product is that it is based on Linux and it's software falls under GPL. Since in my Orizon, there is a GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (Version 2, dated June 1991) stating that I can download the source code from http://www.bookeen.com/support, I was wondering why the source code specific to Orizon is not available, while it is for opus and gen3?
terrangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #188
Mr Tinker
Mr Tinker began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook orizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrangirl View Post
although this is not actually about the gen3... still it is about gpl violation from Bookeen.
I have a Cybook orizon, and in the devise there is stored a GPL, but no source code on Bookeen's site for Orizon!!!

so as a first step I posted the following on Bookeen's page on Facebook
Terrangirl, did you get any response yet? I am also interested in geting the source code for the Orizon device.
Mr Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #189
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tinker View Post
Terrangirl, did you get any response yet? I am also interested in geting the source code for the Orizon device.
I would be very surprised if you ever get source code for the reading application. You may get enough to rebuild the OS but it will likely be with a binary for the application itself that gets linked in. To think otherwise is fooling yourself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #190
terrangirl
terrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tinker View Post
I got this answer just 8 hours ago (after all those days)!!!!!

Quote:
Bookeen: Hello, to be perfectly honest with you it is probably simply because our developers are working hard on upgrades and the new Odyssey and have not gotten to it! Please contact our support directly for more help with technical questions like this, it's possible they have more information about the code. http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportcontact/
8 hours ago · Like
A disappointing answer, since the Orizon is almost a year in market, and publishing the source code is something that they are obliged to do under the GNU GPL, no matter how hard the developers are working on updates or an other product. I will write to their support but I am not very optimistic.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #191
Mr Tinker
Mr Tinker began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook orizon
Quote:
I got this answer just 8 hours ago (after all those days)!!!!!

A disappointing answer, since the Orizon is almost a year in market, and publishing the source code is something that they are obliged to do under the GNU GPL, no matter how hard the developers are working on updates or an other product. I will write to their support but I am not very optimistic.
How hard can it be to post the source code tar ball on their website? I wonder how their software development team looks like? Underpaid developers in the 3rd world?

Imagine the power of open source developers if Bookeen would release an SDK for the cybooks!
Mr Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #192
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They are obliged to provide a method of getting hold of it, not necessarily to have it downloadable on their web site. Contacting their support team is certainly a way of getting hold of it, provided they respond in a reasonably timely manner.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #193
terrangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are obliged to provide a method of getting hold of it, not necessarily to have it downloadable on their web site. Contacting their support team is certainly a way of getting hold of it, provided they respond in a reasonably timely manner.
True, but in the GPL they state that it can be downloaded from their site, and imo one should honor any such statement written in the GPL accompanying their product.
They do have the source code for their other 2 readers, just not for the Orizon. Isn't that a bit peculiar?
I will ask for the source code by contacting the support team, though I doubt I will get it
Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #194
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
True, but in the GPL they state that it can be downloaded from their site, and imo one should honor any such statement written in the GPL accompanying their product.
They do have the source code for their other 2 readers, just not for the Orizon. Isn't that a bit peculiar?
I will ask for the source code by contacting the support team, though I doubt I will get it
I'm curious why this is so important to you. Are you looking to get the source code and modify or fork it? Or, are you just complaining on principle?

(see my sig ftw)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #195
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The GPL didn't say you have to give the source code to everyone, but to people that use the GPLed software.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote