Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which time period should we use for nominations this month?
BCE 0 0%
1-1000 1 11.11%
1001-1500 1 11.11%
1501-1800 1 11.11%
1801-1900 3 33.33%
1901-1920 2 22.22%
1921-1940 2 22.22%
1941-1960 1 11.11%
1961-1980 1 11.11%
1981-2000 4 44.44%
2001-Present 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
For me, price is the first consideration and format a distant second, so if I can borrow a selection from library I won't even consider buying the ebook. Similarly, if the library doesn't have it and the pbook on Amazon marketplace or ADE or Alibris is cheaper than the ebook, they'll get my business.

It's not because I don't buy books, because I do. Frequently. But that's mostly so I have a selection on hand to meet my reading whims or because I can't get a book I especially want to read from the library.

I don't need or want to buy books to have any more, ebooks or pbooks. It'll be the rare book I'll reread, so what's the point? I already have shelves upon shelves of old favorites, which desperately require culling. But that's not an argument in favor of ebooks, since the same result can be achieved, when I end up buying a cheap pbook, by dropping the book off at the library when I'm done with it. They can sell it and get a buck or two.

Ebooks have gotten too pricey. I'd rather not spend the money on them when the same content can be obtained by a stroll through one of the libraries I patronize. I prefer to read on my devices, but not at the premium current ebook prices mandate.

ETA: I picked up Remains of the Day at the library yesterday.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #77
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was able to find Remains of the Day at my local e-library. It is shorter than I was expecting (156 pages for the EPUB version), and I have already read 50%. I plan to watch the movie too (Anthony Hopkins & Emma Thompson - great actors!). To save anyone else from searching, it is not a free Amazon prime video.

I also bought Rings of Saturn in paperback since I voted for that one and still want to read it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #78
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was able to find Remains of the Day at my local e-library. It is shorter than I was expecting (156 pages for the EPUB version),
That was surprising! I would have expected it to be a lot longer, since the movie is over 2 hours long!
I'm first on FLP's wait list for the ebook. They have two, so I should be getting it any day now.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #79
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I made a typo. It's 176 pages and not 156 but still short. It's quite descriptive though so I suppose I can see how the movie is longer if they keep switching from the present time of the book to the various flashback periods.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #80
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I made a typo. It's 176 pages and not 156 but still short. It's quite descriptive though so I suppose I can see how the movie is longer if they keep switching from the present time of the book to the various flashback periods.
It does as far as I remember it. It's one of those movies where nothing much actually happens. It just sort of goes on, slowly... Me and my best friend (females) at the time absolutely loved it. Our (male) partners absolutely hated it!
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #81
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Got my 1993 softcover edition from the library, 245 pages.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #82
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
It does as far as I remember it. It's one of those movies where nothing much actually happens. It just sort of goes on, slowly... Me and my best friend (females) at the time absolutely loved it. Our (male) partners absolutely hated it!
Often a great deal is happening spiritually and morally within the various characters' psyches. That's one of the reasons I'm in love with Jane Austen.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #83
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

I've started reading the book now. It will take me long time to finish this one. Not because I don't like it. I do like it! But I like to read it slowly. Not too much at a time. Kind of like the movie moves along very slowly.
I will keep something more speed-read-worthy going at the same time. I always have a couple of those handy!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #84
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I am still finishing Tender, Leaves, starting Remains, reading some Nesbo at the same time. Too much really!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote