Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #76
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
I thought about fixing original Python kindle tool (can be found somewhere in this forum) so it would be able to work with KT updates, but it turned out for me that it was easier for me to setup Linux virtual machine and do stuff on it (as I needed some more stuff aside from kindle tool that worked great on Linux but either didn't work or even didn't exist on Windows).
Yes, I know, I'm lazy

Last edited by JustAMan; 01-27-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: fixing typos
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #77
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by highend View Post
Thank you rastik.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my KT. I've transferred e.g. the update_launcher_1.0_install.bin file to the /mnt/us folder (via sftp) and after that I executed your command via a ssh connection (XShell under Windows).

The "Update your Kindle" is still greyed out after these two steps.

It seems I must own a very special version of the KT because the screen orientation change (via the launcher menu) doesn't work here, too.

It's a rooted KT (sponsored, special offer version) with the latest 5.0.3 firmware.

Regards,
Highend
I don't think there is something wrong with your device. I had same problem and it was irritating (I have same firmware as you)... Here is what I want you to do, it solved my problem:

After copying related files to /mnt/us/ disable usbnetworking, unplug then replug USB cable so that it goes to USB drive mode. Then Update it (DO NOT restart!) -> As mentioned previously, this menu entry is only available (not greyed out) when the KT is connected via the usb cable.
Hope this helps!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #78
highend
highend began at the beginning.

It seems you didn't read all of (at least: my) postings. I don't want to connect the kindle via the usb cable to be able to install updates. It was a question if it's possible to send a command via ssh that emulates the cable plug / unplug information mechanism. I have no problems to install updates when I use the cable.
highend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #79
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Good afternoon!

I'm playing with this fantastic launcher.
I've added a script, everything went fine.

Is there a way to popup a message with an OK button? just like when you delete a book from the home but with an OK button only.

Thanks a lot everyone!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #80
JustAMan
Groupie

highend,
Did you try forcing your Kindle to install the update using SSH? I mean something like
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1
I've checked that it starts the update when the menu isn't grayed, maybe it would also start one if the menu is grayed, dunno.
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #81
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Yes, but you need SSH. One of the extensions I wrote makes use of that to launch browser, facebook, gmail, and draw.
You were saying....
Wrote it myself
Attached Files
File Type: zip draw-launcher_1.0.zip (1.1 KB, 1119 views)
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #82
highend
highend began at the beginning.

Quote:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1
Wow... No I didn't try that, JustAMan, I wasn't aware of this command.

The thing is... It works!

Thanks a bunch, that was one of the little things I really missed for my device

Regards,
Highend
highend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #83
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Good afternoon!

Is there a way to popup a message with an OK button? just like when you delete a book from the home but with an OK button only.

Thanks a lot everyone!

I found /var/local/waf/adviewer/scripts/dialogFactory.js.
It shows how to create a dialog box but I don't know how to call it from a shell script.
Is it possibile?
Thanks everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: rar dialogFactory.rar (1.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Good afternoon!

Thanks a lot everyone!
Java function. I can't remember what class. Don't use the JS stuff if you can avoid it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #85
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Hey,
I updated the Launcher to 1.0.1, but the previous problem has stayed.
What shall I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-01-18T17_40_44-0100.gif
Views:	370
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	81920  
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #86
JustAMan
Groupie

That's not launcher problem, it's Kindle software that's bugged.
I suppose this poor landscape support is the reason why Amazon guys hide it from the standard menu in the first place.

As for the fix... Either wait for local genius who can fix native binaries or wait for Amazon update that would fix that.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #87
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Java function. I can't remember what class. Don't use the JS stuff if you can avoid it.
Still can't find it. any help is appreciated!

Something easy just like this:

Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #88
dchae85
dchae85 began at the beginning.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm having trouble with the landscape mode. I've tried left and right, changing the font size, amount of words per line, and font type, but the screen keeps getting cut off. Does anyone know why? Also, as a side note, I tried the rotate_screen/ rotate_refresh mp3s and they don't have the buttons...

Edit: So, I tried the auto-rotate hack (KTRotate_0.1) and I'm having the same issue. I just saw a post from someone else saying that they had the same issue. Seems to be a problem from using the 5.0.3 firmware.. I didn't try any of this on the previous hardware because I just recently purchased my KT.

Edit 2: I don't particularly use the landscape mode, just thought it would be worth trying. I guess I'll just wait patiently for someone to figure out a hack that can fix this bug created by the firmware lol.

Last edited by dchae85; 02-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
dchae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #89
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@Pink Floyd, dchae85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Hey,
I updated the Launcher to 1.0.1, but the previous problem has stayed.
What shall I do?
Here's the solution to the problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igich View Post
KT I have version 5.0.1 jailbreaked (kt-jailbreak-503) and installed KindleLouncher-1.0.1, usbnet-1.1. After the software update from version 5.0.1 to 5.0.3 I get a problem when opening of mobi format in ladnscape mode. The page is shifted to the left and the last syllable from the end of the sentence does not read. Fortunately I had kept /opt/amazon/ebook/lib directory from version 5.0.1 and I replaced MobiReader-impl.jar and everything works well.
you can get the MobiReader-impl.jar at the thread. Please remember to backup your original MobiReader-impl.jar in case you want to revert the change.

Last edited by yiming; 02-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #90
dchae85
dchae85 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@Pink Floyd, dchae85

Here's the solution to the problem:

you can get the MobiReader-impl.jar at the thread. Please remember to backup your original MobiReader-impl.jar in case you want to revert the change.
Alright, so I got the file, but honestly I have no idea what do with it or how to search for the information needed to do it. Is there an easy to follow guide to do this?

Edit: As I said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to the Kindle (this is my first Kindle that I've ever handled, and maybe the fifth one that I've touched).
dchae85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks