Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1321
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
I do not know about any other versions. I finally took the jump and started using PRS+ with your current version.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #1322
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
thafrogggg
Just rechecked it, my PRS 300 went asleep in about one hour. Which, judging from other rsponses and the source code, means it works as expected.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #1323
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Kartu, here are two icon files (original and new icons). You can add them in future versions of the PRS + if you want. Includes locations icon, calculator and KeyBindings/keyboard. I have them in my adaptation of the PRS + and look nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon.png
Views:	453
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	53897   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon - NEW.png
Views:	431
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	53898  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #1324
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

surquizu
Great!
Remind me, if I forget about them during beta.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #1325
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
I finally upgraded to PRS+ a few days ago and am very happy I did so! Great work to everyone involved! I especially like the dictionary, the different settings for page index and the folder view.

I have a few questions, though.

1) It SEEMS to me (I'm quite sure actually) that when I have launched the dictionary from within a book and then return to the book, the right side of the book is SLIGHTLY faded. If I go one page back and then forward again it returns to normal. I am pretty sure that nothing is wrong with my reader or display, as this only happens when I have used the dictionary. I have no idea why this is so, though. Intuitively, it makes no sense. Anyone else experienced it?

2) I have used the dictionary quite a lot since installing PRS+ and have noticed markedly shorter battery life. I guess this is normal? Any stats on how much using the dictionary generally drains the battery compared to normal use?
It has to launch an application every time one enters the dictionary and then search the text, so I guess it drains the battery significantly faster.

All in all I must say this is GREAT work, and I really appreciate the effort. Stuff like this is what makes the net amazing!
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #1326
kartu
PRS+ author

bonaldo2000
1) Minor artifacts from previous screen are "normal" for e-ink. Dictionary uses a lot of black on the right side, it has side effects.

2) Current searching mechanism in dictionary is not optimized, search is done by scanning the whole dictionary file, which is both time and power consuming. Starting dicitonary also eats quite a bit of power. So it's rather normal.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #1327
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
bonaldo2000
1) Minor artifacts from previous screen are "normal" for e-ink. Dictionary uses a lot of black on the right side, it has side effects.

2) Current searching mechanism in dictionary is not optimized, search is done by scanning the whole dictionary file, which is both time and power consuming. Starting dicitonary also eats quite a bit of power. So it's rather normal.
Thank you for the reply. I did kinda figure it was pretty normal. In any case, I am very happy with PRS+.

There isn't a way of running the dictionary in the background I guess? The OS is probably not multitasking...

Maybe it should be considered using less black on the right side in the dictionary, actually? As far as I can see there is no real reason for it. Perhaps it could use black letters in white boxes instead...

Do you have any idea about when/if the context sensitive dictionary will be finished? That would be a mind-numbingly brilliant addition.

Last edited by bonaldo2000; 06-23-2010 at 04:09 AM.
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #1328
kartu
PRS+ author

bonaldo2000
Quote:
Do you have any idea about when/if the context sensitive dictionary will be finished?
Hot topics as of today are: 300/600 ports.
Dictionary improvements (speed, efficiency, allowing to choose a word from the current book) will indeed be done, but it's hard to tell when.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #1329
m-land
Enthusiast
m-land has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
pampalini
Is virtual keyboard ready? I thoguht m-land is still working on it.
To be honest I'm not just now - simply lack of time
VirtualKeyboard alone could be considered finished for now (OK, national keyboards has to be defined)
Regarding dictionary - I'll do it when time allowes...
m-land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #1330
kartu
PRS+ author

m-land
Quote:
Regarding dictionary - I'll do it when time allowes...
You'll do what, sorry?

Quote:
VirtualKeyboard alone could be considered finished for now
I'll see...
Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #1331
mike007dog
mike007dog began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Kartu, here are two icon files (original and new icons). You can add them in future versions of the PRS + if you want. Includes locations icon, calculator and KeyBindings/keyboard. I have them in my adaptation of the PRS + and look nice.
i made a new one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon.png
Views:	215
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	53936  
mike007dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #1332
kartu
PRS+ author

mike007dog
Some of the icons have colour.

Guys, remember that reader supports only 8 levels of gray.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #1333
m-land
Enthusiast

Quote:
m-land

You'll do what, sorry?
Make dictionary using virtual keyboard instead of current 'letter column'
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #1334
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-land View Post
Make dictionary using virtual keyboard instead of current 'letter column'
Too early for that at this point. VK will need to be integrated into firmware and not started as an addon first.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #1335
m-land
Enthusiast

Quote:
Too early for that at this point. VK will need to be integrated into firmware and not started as an addon first.
Does integration into firmware affect changes to dictionary? I expect that not really (OK, some minor things like few names...). Am I wrong?
Another question (much more important from this point of view) is if you will integrate it or not. I asked few days before but most probably you missed it