Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
LBook Firmware 2010.04.19

For those who prefer to use the LBook Firmware for their Pocket Pros, there's an upgrade for April 19th. I installed it without any problem.

http://files.mail.ru/TT5KAZ

Basically all the functions and settings are the same, but now the books open more quickly and 'precisely', unlike the last version where you had to 'guess' if you had pressed the correct button for some seconds...

With this improvement, I personally consider it to be the best firmware available for my Pocket Pro.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Can i ask you where do you find all this info?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I usually find the info and the firmware upgrades in the Russian ebook website (Thanks to Dave_S):

http://www.the-ebook.org/

It's in the Forum / LBook section. Usually the new firmwares appear in the thread of LBook V3: CoolReader, posted by Buggins.

I use Google translate to browse the website, which is quite comprehensive.

Last edited by sein; 04-19-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
sure?

Well, the site does say it is the 20100419 folder, but unzipping it gets a 3/15 modified date for the V5setup.bin

And, it was buggy. Trying to change font or size would get me back to the bookshelf, repeatedly.

Perhaps Vadim zipped the wrong file?

But I'm with you. I like his mods, still, I'm going back to his 3/30 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
For those who prefer to use the LBook Firmware for their Pocket Pros, there's an upgrade for April 19th. I installed it without any problem.

http://files.mail.ru/TT5KAZ

Basically all the functions and settings are the same, but now the books open more quickly and 'precisely', unlike the last version where you had to 'guess' if you had pressed the correct button for some seconds...

With this improvement, I personally consider it to be the best firmware available for my Pocket Pro.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
sein
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
Trying to change font or size would get me back to the bookshelf, repeatedly.
Strange. I haven't experienced that at all...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
rxsz
Connoisseur

date?

And what is the modified date re:V5setup.bin on your download of the "latest" 20100419? Does it show 3/15?

Yet the same modified date on the previous version showed 3/30.

Quote:
Strange. I haven't experienced that at all...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
sein
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
Does it show 3/15?
Actually it does! I've no idea how to explain that. Maybe the new firmware is a modified version of an older one...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
rxsz
Connoisseur

fonts

Not being an IT person, I'm sure a layman's understanding would be Creation date is when that file was first created? And Modified date would be when it was last, you know, modified, changed?

Also, in the list of fonts, my usual font with the 3/30 version is on page 2, #2 precisely, so that makes it #10 from the very top of the list. Now, with the 3/15 version, my usual font is now on page 1, at position #8. I'd say more choices is better, no?

Quote:
Actually it does! I've no idea how to explain that. Maybe the new firmware is a modified version of an older one...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just installed this one.
First impression.
The default Book shelf and menus are cleaner looking (less cluttered, bolder) than the Astak ones, except Lbook messed up the Bookshelf Contrast by putting a background image with a tint on the page :/
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Is it going to work for the 6" EZ reader?
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
Is it going to work for the 6" EZ reader?
I have a PEz, therfore I use the V5 version.

The 6" uses V3 versions (no matter whose firmware you use)
If you Un-zip and see v5 in the Setup file name Don't use it on a V3
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Thank you theducks!
The file name is "v5setup*.zip"
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
WHY LBook firmware better?

Dear All:

Astak is just curious. I am not at all against anyone doing what they want to do.

We are just a bit curious about this LBook firmware desire?

Can you all nicely state WHY you prefer the LBook firmware upgrade over the Astak version? We are curious because it should be identical. The speed is set by the hardware and not the software... so it is difficult to understand speed is the deciding factor. Is it the ease of the downloading or something else? What, to you, makes it a better route to take??

I am being asked by the PM on this. Be blunt. If we just seem to do a poorer job then state that. We are just trying to improve!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Astak is just curious. I am not at all against anyone doing what they want to do.

We are just a bit curious about this LBook firmware desire?

Can you all nicely state WHY you prefer the LBook firmware upgrade over the Astak version? We are curious because it should be identical. The speed is set by the hardware and not the software... so it is difficult to understand speed is the deciding factor. Is it the ease of the downloading or something else? What, to you, makes it a better route to take??

I am being asked by the PM on this. Be blunt. If we just seem to do a poorer job then state that. We are just trying to improve!
Hi Robert!

I am using the previous LBook firmware, so I cannot speak to the newer version in this post, which I'm downloading right now. So all references to "LBook" will be for the previous version, listed as "20100330" or "3/30" if you prefer.

Why not try it for yourself? Given how easy it is to change firmware, you can jump back to Astak at any time.

I don't love everything about the LBook software, but it edges out Astak in a few key areas--the menus are cleaner and easier to read. There are only 5 levels of zoom for epubs and pdfs, but they seem to cover a good range. The CoolReader software opens TXT and HTML files by default, not just RTF and FB2. You can do this on the Astak CoolReader by renaming the files to FB2. The LBook also opens EPUB files renamed as FB2, just like Astak's.

The LBook software allows one to delete, copy, or move books on board. This is huge. Astak does not.

The system font choice for the LBook not only affects the non-CoolReader and non-ADE book formats, but the PocketPro's menus themselves.

The LBook firmware allows the use of a dictionary--it actually ships with a Russian-English dictionary. On the Hanlin forum here there are instructions for converting a Debian dictionary to work on the PocketPro / V5 devices. I installed an English dictionary that was prepared from such a package and offered by another MR reader, but it's a little buggy and not of much use beyond the curiosity value--but it suggests that with a little tweaking, we can have a dictionary on the PocketPro.

Some of these options may be available with the newest Astak firmware, but I think not.

There are things about the LBook software I don't like. The bookshelf has a gray tint behind it for no good reason--so book titles are not as crisp as they would otherwise be. There are a couple other places where the Astak firmware does a little better, but I can't recall them right now. While I think the LBook might render LIT files slightly better, they seem to crash more with LBook than the latest Astak, and LIT files seem to have improved there since the December Astak firmware.

Overall, the user-experience with the LBook firmware seems more "pleasant" and "intuitive".

Anyhow Robert, I recommend you give it a try so that you can communicate your findings directly to the evil PM rather than relying on 2nd hand accounts. I dare say, you might have access to more than one PP at a time so you could make comparisons side-by-side.

I hope this helps!

(And I'll pop back into this thread with my findings once I get a chance to play with the firmware that is the subject of this thread.)

Cheers!

Last edited by Xochipilli2012; 04-20-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typos....
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
sein
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Can you all nicely state WHY you prefer the LBook firmware upgrade over the Astak version? We are curious because it should be identical.
Hi, Robertb. There is no question about the nice service provided by Astak, and especially through you, in this forum. And the latest Astak firmware is really very good. I guess it's just that some of us really like to 'customize' stuff and the LBook firmwares are great for that: button functions, document formats, more font sizes, font-weight, font-kerning, text-align, main menu's system font, etc. As Xochipilli2012 has suggested, maybe you should try it yourself and play around with it. The possibilities are many, and personally I find that it makes my Pocket Pro an even greater ebook reader.