Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #31
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Full bookcases and a couple of thousand books in storage, as well as the lure of no longer having to pack half a dozen fat paperbacks whenever I travel.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What got you started in the first place?
Now that's a hard question. I got into ebooks a long time ago, before the Kindle and even before the first eInk Sony appeared.

Let's see. I joined Fictionwise in 2003, but I was into ebooks before that, as I found Baen's webscriptions in September 2001, and actually started using it in January 2002.

So I think it was probably Baen. And I got my first portable ebook reader, a Sony Clie SL-10, in the Autumn of 2002.

And I started because I could get books from Baen immediately when they were published, at a much lower cost than getting them when they eventually got shipped to the UK in paper form.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #33
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I used to read short stories and blogs on my palm V but I wasn't really ready to switch to electronic displays for longer works. Then I heard about e-paper and waited for the devices to become available.

I'm sure that there were other devices available but I waited for the Kindle having convinced myself from various reviews that it was the best. I pre-ordered the Kindle 2i as soon as I could and, despite wanting to love it, I merely liked it. I read a few books on it but mainly still read paper (having got a considerable dead tree TBR pile).

The the Kindle 3 came out and I upgraded. The difference in screen quality was such that I was hooked. Thing is I think part of it was more getting used to the idea of reading off devices. I will now read books off my computer monitor, my TV or phone. Mind you I think the quality of a modern LCD screen versus my old CRT monitor is a bit different.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #34
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I honestly hate the smell and feel of paper.
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #35
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I first got into ebooks thanks to my trusty pocket PC in the form of a smartphone. I quickly realized the joy of being able to just read anywhere, anytime. Not just a single book, but a whole library crammed in a fingernail-sized memory card. Nothing can beat that. Besides, if I crave to read THIS ONE BOOK JUST NOW and it's not in my library, I can download it in a whim.

Now I've also got myself a 6" e-ink reader, for more screen real state and reading under day light. Shares same library than my smartphone, managed by Calibre on the laptop.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #36
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Storage was my biggest reason. I begrudged having books taking up so much space when I re-read them so infrequently, but I couldn't bring myself to pass them on just in case I did want to re-read them.

Close second though was convenience. I enjoyed leafing through books in the store and browsing for my next read, but often the books I were looking for were not in stock. eReaders solved that issue, although the problem moved to not available in ebook form for a few years but the instant delivery and HUGE store browsing plus ability to read other peoples opinions of a book, especially reference books, made up for the diminishing problem of books not yet available as ebooks.

That's what made me start reading on a PDA. I moved to eInk once it became available to solve the issue of reading outside :P
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
As others have mentioned, Baen Webscriptions were my introduction, reading on the computer screen. I started reading on my PDA as soon as I realized I could put books on it...around 2004 or 2005 maybe? I got a Kindle when they first came out in late 2007 or early 2008, but still read a lot of paper books along with my e-reading. Then, in 2009, I had an accident on a snowmobile that compromised the use of my left arm. I don't think I've read a paper book since then. The ability to truly read one handed has enabled me to keep reading. Also, now that my eyes are getting older, the ability to make the font larger as my eyes get more tired is amazing.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #38
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
A library at my fingertips.
That's it in a nutshell. The sheer ease of getting books to read, all from the comfort of your armchair.

I was dubious about ereaders at first, but once I saw how nice the Kindle was to read on, and how quick and easy it was to get books, I had to get one for myself.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #39
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I've got arthritis in my thumbs and holding thick hard cover books can be painful after awhile. I saw Bezos shilling the Kindle 2 on The Daily Show so I thought I'd try it. Being able to increase the font size, and not needing extra bookshelves are an added bonus.

So, I'm blaming all my ereader hardware purchases on Erikson's '' Malazan'' books.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I won a Kindle. I use my library a lot now for paper books which means the concept of not filling my house with books doesn't apply to me. It's nice having a few books in the e-reader when I run out of paper from the library.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #41
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Originally, it was the fanfiction. I read a lot if it, but didn't like the fuss and expense of printing it out nor being tied to a computer screen or a heavy laptop. Once I had the device, I started to appreciate the conveniences: buying that was not limited by retail store hours or my work schedule, the lack of need for physical storage, the ability to carry around many books at a time and access to many books that are only available as ebooks.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #42
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
For me it was multiple reasons like many here.

1) Got tired of my house looking like a library
2) Baen Books and a laptop
3) O'Reilly Safari books - Online Tech books.

But what pushed me over the edge and made me finally break down and get a reader was all the Indy books. I have to say that Indy books have revitalized midlist authors and I'm loving it. Now days it is rare for me to purchase a book from the big 6 much less from some of the smaller publishers. I set my price threshold to what Baen charges for a ebook ($6) which I think is a reasonable amount. Anything over that and well it better be outstanding and from someone I have read before.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #43
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Once upon a time, I was in the camp of "I just love real books too much to ever get an ereader."

Then my local library closed for renovations (it was closed for three years). I had to either get an ereader, or start paying for all my books. I chose the ereader, and lucky for me my library has a fantastic ebook program. Nowadays I do most of my reading on the reader, and when I feel like I'm missing "real books," I read one.

Now the local library just re-opened. I will certainly enjoy the space with my daughter, but will I check out pbooks again? On the one hand, there are certainly a lot of books that are not available in Overdrive, so I could check out those. On the other hand... do I really want to go back to late fees??? I'm not sure.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #44
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
I saw a review on All About Romance for the eBookwise and was immediately intrigued. Although the storage compared to what came later was laughable, I loved the idea of having 50 or so books available to me anywhere I went--not to mention the backlit screen which enabled me to read at night and not disturb anyone. The price was nice, too--only $100. So I got one and never looked back.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #45
Arwym
Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Literati eReader, B&N Nook Simple Touch
My reasons:

1) Lack of physical space
2) Creative Commons, Public Domain and indie titles I could only get for free or at much lower prices if obtained as eBooks; some I just couldn't find locally (no book store chains in Puerto Rico right now, since Borders closed)
4) Many books and other types of publications that I wanted which only exist in digital formats; I can bundle Web comics as comic book archives or as epubs (Calibre!) and take them with me; I can create eBooks of Wikipedia articles for research or whatever other reasons, and keep reading while I am away from the computer; and so on...
6) The ability to carry as many books and comics as I please with me at any time. I love to carry books and notebooks with me everywhere; my favorite companions!
5) Ecological awareness (I really do care about this matter, and I believe we all should)

Last edited by Arwym; 09-24-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added more reasons.
Arwym is offline   Reply With Quote