Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The study also counted books read if only "part of the way through."
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
my 2ct:
Yes, ebook readers get less popular. But they will release an HD version in the western world (1280x800+ pix), perhaps even color, and in India and China the development of ultra cheap ebook readers will continue to grow (they will create ebook readers based on flexible screens (plastic membranes), that bend and break easily, but are very cheap to manufacture.
Think of $15 in hardware parts, perhaps sold for sub $50 values.

I believe it won't be long before china develops it's first $23 ebook reader!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Think of $15 in hardware parts, perhaps sold for sub $50 values.

I believe it won't be long before china develops it's first $23 ebook reader!
Completely irrelevant with current book prices. The 3rd world pays far more than US prices, usually above EU prices. Until they figure out how to market there (hint: low prices without premium content, nothing fancy.). It will not mean much at all. You can already pick up transflexive lcd cheapo readers for about $20, but they're worthless without books (and don't sell as a result).

The few local publishers and booksellers will always just compete with international prices — the 'net is a single marketspace without platform/hardware tie-ins — and since they are not automating the competition they are usually hopelessly overpriced. With Sony sleeping, Amazon blind and B&N dumb, the only one making moves into these markets is Kobo and it's strategic retail partners (because none of the bookstores wanted to play here, we can now buy them at the largest supermarket chain... makes sense?). Time will tell if they figure out the book side of things tho.

But if no one works it out, it's pretty much assured that piracy will supply a marketplace without integration (hello my Rusky friends - same boat), and put them off even trying. This is also hindered by the lack of payment options which are applicable. PayPal/CC will work, but with a low market penetration which will once again push people to find alternative sources.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #34
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

It is possible that eBook reader devices will loose popularity in major smartphone markets as if people are able to read eBooks through their smartphones and tablets they why will they spend on specific eBook reading devices.

Last edited by Daniel Jones; 01-02-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spell mistake
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #35
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I think that deliverable content does not really matter in poorer nations;
They always find a way to surround it.
China is probably the number one in distributing content illegally.
Like India, much the same, they could get their content from the web; downloading compatible PDF's, DOCs, and Ebups. Since many of them are way less into perfection, many won't even mind getting .txt files on their readers.

I think there's great future in the third and second world countries!
India is full of smart people who would not pay a rupee more than what they need to.
If they get it for free, or a few pennies, they will
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #36
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Smartphones and tablets are both LCD devices which are harder to read outdoors and harder on a lot of peoples' eyes for long term (several hours) reading. Smartphones are also too small for me to read on easily (old eyes) and the monthly cost is more than I want to spend (I still use a land-line). All tablets are heavier than are comfortable for me to carry around and the battery life is too short for me.

There are a lot of reasons some prefer eink for reading.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #37
UnderControl
UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Really liked this 2013 predictions article as well from the guy behind Smashwords.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-c...b_2352895.html
UnderControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
franYo
franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderControl View Post
Really liked this 2013 predictions article as well from the guy behind Smashwords.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-c...b_2352895.html
Great article, thanks for posting. Reads like a wish list in some parts, considering who the author is, but still a great read.
franYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #39
regstuff
regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.regstuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderControl View Post
I think this was my favorite part.
"One innovative publisher, ICON Group International, has patented a system that automatically generates non-fiction books. Over 100,000 of these titles are now for sale at Amazon, according to a story at Singularity Hub. As the field of artificial intelligence increases, how long until novelists are disintermediated by machines? It's a preposterous idea worthy of science fiction."

Reminds of a Roald Dahl story where this is exactly what happens. Can't remember which though.
regstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #40
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
The people that I know who have tablets and read, all have readers. I dont know anyone that really reads more than the odd pdf on a tablet. The emerging markets are huge for readers, and no one is really targetting them. If the books are priced low enough, they'd be massive. SA has only just got Kobo, no official support for Kindle. Given that, I've never seen someone reading a book on a tablet (and there are loads of those), tho I've seen countless people reading on imported readers. The closest I see is newspaper readers on larger tablets.
I have a kindle and a fire and read almost exclusively on the fire. Now you know someone who has a tablet who really reads more than the odd pdf on a tablet.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #41
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories makes the point that ebooks seem to only rule in "disposable" fiction - and that pbooks are much stronger elsewhere.

Quote:
Readers of weightier fare, including literary fiction and narrative nonfiction, have been less inclined to go digital. They seem to prefer the heft and durability, the tactile pleasures, of what we still call "real books"—the kind you can set on a shelf.

E-books, in other words, may turn out to be just another format—an even lighter-weight, more disposable paperback. That would fit with the discovery that once people start buying digital books, they don't necessarily stop buying printed ones. In fact, according to Pew, nearly 90% of e-book readers continue to read physical volumes. The two forms seem to serve different purposes.

Considering that most ebooks are locked into a platform, I could see this being true. Personally I prefer not to buy pbooks any more, much prefer reading on my Nook Color.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #42
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
The report showed that the percentage of adults who have read an e-book rose modestly over the past year, from 16% to 23%. But it also revealed that fully 89% of regular book readers said that they had read at least one printed book during the preceding 12 months. Only 30% reported reading even a single e-book in the past year.
Two unrelated facts. Fact 1: % of people reading e-books is rising while % of people reading p-books is falling. Fact 2: People who do not own e-readers do not read e-books. Here is the data...

If you remove HS students who are provided books to read, it's clear there is a strong movement towards e-reading. In a year or two the 17-18 numbers will go through the roof as schools start handing out e-readers. Free is STILL good.

Also, from the same study...

Quote:
This move toward e-books has also affected libraries. The share of recent library users who have borrowed an e-book from a library has increased from 3% last year to 5% this year. Moreover, awareness of e-book lending by libraries is growing. The share of those in the overall population who are aware that libraries offer e-books has jumped from 24% late last year to 31% now.
Perhaps the study is telling us is that people who depend on libraries that do not loan e-books mostly read p-books.

Quote:
the Association of American Publishers reported that the annual growth rate for e-book sales fell abruptly during 2012, to about 34%
Rate of increase slowing is a natural phenomenon. If I sell one e-book each year for five years, after two years, the rate of growth is 100%, after three, it is 50%, after four it is 33%, and after five years, the rate of growth is 25%. I wish the rate of growth of my salary or portfolio was 34%. Unfortunately, only my bills grow at this rate.

Quote:
A 2012 survey by Bowker Market Research revealed that just 16% of Americans have actually purchased an e-book and that a whopping 59% say they have "no interest" in buying one.
according to statisticsbrain.com, only 20% of Americans purchased any kind of book last year. I wonder how the 59% of Americans who have "no interest" in buying an e-book compares to the number of Americans who do not own an e-book reader? I'll bet a whopping percentage of Americans who do not own an e-reader have no interest in buying e-books, BUT I'll bet a whopping percentage of Americans who own an e-reader have some interest in buying an e-book.

Quote:
according to Pew, nearly 90% of e-book readers continue to read physical volumes. The two forms seem to serve different purposes.
I am much more interested in the 10% of e-book readers who REFUSE to open a p-book since seeing the light. Lies, damn like, and statistics.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers, forbes