Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #1096
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/237304/chapters/363763
And here is one, that's in multiple collections.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #1097
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
Jimm, I have a request. Could you make FFDL collect the "Collections" information from AO3?
Give this version a try. It adds 'collections' as a site specific metadata type.

You can add it to your title pages with extra_titlepage_entries and to a custom calibre column with custom_columns_settings in your personal.ini.

Code:
[archiveofourown.org]
extra_titlepage_entries: collections

custom_columns_settings:
 collections=>#collectionscol
UPDATE Jan 02 2013 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 01-02-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1098
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Give this version a try. It adds 'collections' as a site specific metadata type.

You can add it to your title pages with extra_titlepage_entries and to a custom calibre column with custom_columns_settings in your personal.ini.

Code:
[archiveofourown.org]

custom_columns_settings:
Thank you, it seems to be working fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #1099
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
So . . . where's the best place to put cover image exclusions in one's personal.ini? In the section for specific archives? (Would make sense for dramione, as discussed before.) For all epubs? In defaults?

I think Livejournal userhead & community icons may be found in multiple archives, though I've discovered them most frequently at AO3.

Images to exclude (as cover images) pretty much anywhere they show up:
http://l-stat.livejournal.com/img/userinfo.gif
http://l-stat.livejournal.com/img/community.gif
http://www.insanejournal.com/img/userinfo.gif
http://www.insanejournal.com/img/community.gif
http://www.dreamwidth.org/img/silk/identity/user.png

(Maybe simplest to just exclude any images with "user" or "community" in the filename?)

Of course now that Livejournal offers custom userheads, it might be trickier.
Sample image URL:
http://l-files.livejournal.net/userhead/76?v=1320914333
From this story:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/467320

Though maybe just not allowing any images with "userhead" in the path would do the trick?

Here's a Dreamwidth userhead:
Example story with it:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/534858

And once I figure out the best way to handle this in my personal.ini, what's the best way to fix the stories in my Library that have userheads as their cover art? Update the story for just metadata with metadata & cover checked? Or will I want to overwrite the whole things? Remove existing cover images first? I guess I can try it a number of ways, but figure those who dig around with this stuff on the programming side might know. (I have about 100 stories with userhead covers, I guess.)

As always, your help is much appreciated. And I figure I can't be the only fanfic reader who has run across this and might find excluding these images helpful.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #1100
Niedzielan
Niedzielan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
FFDL doesn't want to download stories with accented characters, (That, or the case in point is an anomaly).

The fanfic is question is http://www.fimfiction.net/story/51241/crepsculo-sombro

I get two errors, one if I try to download it by itself:
Quote:
coercing to Unicode need string or buffer, NoneType found
Or if I download it as part of a group:
Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 376, in dispatch
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 941, in download_list_completed
TypeError: sequence item 1: expected string or Unicode, NoneType found
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #1101
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedzielan View Post
FFDL doesn't want to download stories with accented characters, (That, or the case in point is an anomaly).

The fanfic is question is http://www.fimfiction.net/story/51241/crepsculo-sombro
That's a problem with fimfiction.net, not FFDL.

The JSON API provided by fimfiction isn't including the title. See the API link for yourself.

Anybody have a contact for reporting problems to fimfiction?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1102
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
So . . . where's the best place to put cover image exclusions in one's personal.ini? In the section for specific archives? (Would make sense for dramione, as discussed before.) For all epubs? In defaults?
The precedence order for sections (using epub from dramione.org as an example) is:
  1. defaults
  2. dramione.org
  3. epub
  4. dramione.org:epub
  5. overrides

So if you put cover_exclusion_regexp in [defaults], the value from [dramione.org] (in the system ini) will override it. If you put it under [dramione.org] in personal.ini, that will override the system ini, but only for that site.

To use one cover_exclusion_regexp setting for all sites, put it under [overrides].

Quote:
I think Livejournal userhead & community icons may be found in multiple archives, though I've discovered them most frequently at AO3.
The problem, of course, is that the more general the exclusion, the more likely you are to block things you don't mean to. I can help you craft regexp to meet your stated desires, but I can't make promises about false positives.

Since AO3 actually has an explicit cover feature, perhaps we should put make_firstimage_cover: false under [archiveofourown.org]...

Quote:
(Maybe simplest to just exclude any images with "user" or "community" in the filename?)
Though maybe just not allowing any images with "userhead" in the path would do the trick?
Here's a Dreamwidth userhead:
This regexp meets the criteria above:
Code:
cover_exclusion_regexp:(/[^/]+(user|community)[^/]+$|userhead|/img/silk/identity/user.png)
Quote:
And once I figure out the best way to handle this in my personal.ini, what's the best way to fix the stories in my Library that have userheads as their cover art? Update the story for just metadata with metadata & cover checked? Or will I want to overwrite the whole things? Remove existing cover images first? I guess I can try it a number of ways, but figure those who dig around with this stuff on the programming side might know. (I have about 100 stories with userhead covers, I guess.)
Here's the thing: On update, FFDL will never *remove* an existing cover just because it didn't find one on the site. It used to do that, and that upset the people who make their own custom covers because it would zap them.

Removing the undesired covers: use the Modify Epub PI to remove the covers from the epubs. Then use calibre's Edit Metadata ('e' key) on the whole group at once and Remove Covers (or Set from Ebooks) to get them out of calibre, too.

Then you can use Update Always (with update cover) in FFDL if you think there might be other images that could be picked up for cover. After you've added the cover_exclusion_regexp, of course. I'd tested a couple first, before doing the lot.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #1103
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Quote:

Since AO3 actually has an explicit cover feature, perhaps we should put make_firstimage_cover: false under [archiveofourown.org]...
Ah, I hadn't realized they had an explicit cover feature, but it makes sense that they would and that would simplify matters for that site. Excellent.

Quote:

Here's the thing: On update, FFDL will never *remove* an existing cover just because it didn't find one on the site. It used to do that, and that upset the people who make their own custom covers because it would zap them.
That makes sense, I'd wondered about the behavior and was trying to suss it out for myself. Had seemed like existing covers stayed which was sometimes what I wanted and a nice feature and sometimes not what I was going for. Usually the former, though. Easy enough to remove covers by editing the metadata and/or the ePub with the Modify ePub plug-in as you mentioned (which is what I'd been doing as needed).

Quote:
Removing the undesired covers: use the Modify Epub PI to remove the covers from the epubs. Then use calibre's Edit Metadata ('e' key) on the whole group at once and Remove Covers (or Set from Ebooks) to get them out of calibre, too.

Then you can use Update Always (with update cover) in FFDL if you think there might be other images that could be picked up for cover. After you've added the cover_exclusion_regexp, of course. I'd tested a couple first, before doing the lot.
Thanks. I'll give the cover_exclusion_regexp some tries to see how it goes. Appreciate your help! I want to learn regular expressions myself, but seem to always get sidetracked or forget what I once knew. I still know how to navigate in vi after years of not doing so very often so you'd think I could handle this.

I think I may just fix the covers by making "make first image cover" false for the ones I need to fix at AO3 for now.

As ever, I appreciate your help and love the plug-in.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #1104
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
FiMFiction just went through a major update of their underlying code, it's possible that some of the features and APIs that FFDL made use of changed or broke a bit. Here's the news post from the day of the big update. The big surge of site-breaking bugs seems to have passed now so I'm sure bug reports on more subtle problems that might be interfering with FFDL would receive attention. Knightly is probably the guy to talk to.

Possibly on a related note, I found two stories that aren't downloading correctly: Honey Pie (error message: "Error downloading Chapter: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/68507/2/honey-pie/test! Missing required element!") and Then Everyone was an Alicorn (error message: "Error downloading Chapter: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/6427.../i-was-serious! Missing required element!"). Both of these appear to be referring to chapters that aren't visible in the stories' chapter lists. One of the major bugs that appeared when the site was upgraded was "unpublished" chapters becoming visible to readers (the site lets authors hide chapters from public view) so I'd bet bits to bagels that the site's leaking references to unpublished chapters to FFDL and then refusing to let FFDL download them.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, I wanted to thank you for pointing out the "don't process images" flag a little while back. I've got my lossy compression OCD all nice and satisifed now with fresh new cover images and illustrations. Thanks!

Last edited by FaceDeer; 12-14-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1105
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
... Knightly is probably the guy to talk to.

...I'd bet bits to bagels that the site's leaking references to unpublished chapters to FFDL and then refusing to let FFDL download them.
I agree about the chapters. In both those cases, it's the last listed chapter that's inaccessible. There is a chapter_count that could be used to leave those out, but is it guaranteed that any chapters that are inaccessible are at the end?

I've posted a comment on Knightly's page about the two API problems found so far.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #1106
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.7.1 - 15 Dec 2012
  • Allow % escapes in ffnet story URLs and use larger ffnet story cover images.
  • Force bgcolor in JPG output images when source images have transparency.
  • Add 'collections' to AO3 specific metadata.
  • Clear Reject List cache when switching libraries.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1107
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
[archiveofourown.org]

custom_columns_settings:
I added this to my personal.ini and created a new column "Collection" but how do I fill this column with the collection?
I tried a few things but somehow it does not work

Last edited by ILB; 12-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1108
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
I added this to my personal.ini and created a new column "Collection" but how do I fill this column with the collection?
I tried a few things but somehow it does not work
You must replace '#collectionscol' with the lookup/search name you gave the column when you created it, and there must be a space in front of 'collections' on the line after custom_columns_settings:

Code:
custom_columns_settings:
Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #1109
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
@JimmXinu
Thanks for the fast help!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #1110
yin.
yin. began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Hey everyone,
I just noticed that some stories on fanfiction.net now have something that looks like a cover - would it be possible for the downloader plugin to have an option to download and integrate that? Here's one of those stories that has it -> http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8661803/1/The-Eyes-Have-It
Closed Thread