Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
DR800 Cover

From the 800/800SG reviews, I can see the default cover is not really useful. So who know where I can buy a good cover with a stylus holder?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:

IREX DR800 Luxury Leather Cover White
Weight: 0.20
Manufacturer: Castelijn & Beerens
Luxury Leather Cover for DR800 series.

This specially designed leather cover for Digital Reader 800S by Castelijn & Beerens, will keep your Reader safe from damage.

The Leather cover is cushioned to prevent sharp items penetrating and damaging the screen, inside the cover there is a push pull system so you can firmly attach the reader to the cover.

Real Leather so easy to clean and maintain with water, soap and or leather oil.
# Strong durable split leather.
# Cushioned for optimized protection
# Easy to clean
# Special holder for stylus pen
# Push pin setup, to keep your reader firmly attached to the cover
# Specially Designed by Castelijn & Beerens for IREX Technologies

$69.99

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=82
Seems a bit pricey. And there are reports here that it's not that great.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think it's still a little early to start seeing 3rd party covers, at least there aren't any that I'm aware of yet.

The only upgrade to the included slipcase that I know of is the iRex "luxury" cover:

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...298416890336f1
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Seems a bit pricey. And there are reports here that it's not that great.
I could be wrong, but I think those reports were talking about the cover that comes with the European DR800S. That's the vinyl slipcase, not this one.

I have the equivalent of this cover for my iLiad, and it's pretty nice. Much better protection than a slipcase, which is what I'm mostly interested in. Yes, it's pricey, but much cheaper than having to replace the screen.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think it's still a little early to start seeing 3rd party covers, at least there aren't any that I'm aware of yet.
I meant... there aren't any good ones that I'm aware of. I've seen one on eBay, but it's essentially the same thing as the default slipcase.
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
How much do they charge for shipping to USA?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
How much do they charge for shipping to USA?
Don't remember. I think you can go to their shop, add it to your cart, and see the shipping without actually having to checkout. It's probably not cheap though, since it's coming from Europe.

I asked them a little while ago if it was available via any US retailers, and they said not at the moment. Hopefully that means that it will be at some point.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think those reports were talking about the cover that comes with the European DR800S. That's the vinyl slipcase, not this one.
I got my info from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...php?t=70664#13
Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I just bought a leather Filofax conference folder type thing to use as a cover. It offer good protection - it's not ideal but the device can be fitted in either inside the slipcase and than safely put in a backpack, or without the slipcase for carrying around when I've got to where I'm going. I bought it because I had also heard that the IREX supplied leather cover wasn't that great. When 3rd party properly designed covers become available I'll probably get one - and then I'll have a nice leather conference folder to find a use for!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Yeah, I saw that one too. That's basically just saying that it's pricey, which it is. Doesn't say anything about the functionality though.

What I'm interested in are things like:
  1. How well does it protect the screen (the most important thing).
  2. How convenient is it to use the device while in the cover
  3. Build quality, slots for different styli... etc.

I haven't really seen anything along those lines with regards to the leather cover. My main complaint about the included slipcovers is that they don't offer very good protection.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
I wish Oberon Design will have something for it. Call me shallow, but that's the only thing, that make me regret sending PRS-600 back and ordering IREX. The sony had nice cover selection.
I am going to write Oberon about their plans for IREX, but I will think more letters will help.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
I wish Oberon Design will have something for it. Call me shallow, but that's the only thing, that make me regret sending PRS-600 back and ordering IREX. The sony had nice cover selection.
I am going to write Oberon about their plans for IREX, but I will think more letters will help.
M-Edge has historically done iRex covers (both the iLiad and DR1000), so they may be working on something. I don't know if Oberon has ever done an iRex device before?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I wonder if the deluxe cover can be put on rotated 180 so the fold is opposite of the flipbar and the pen is at the bottom? Ill probalby try to find a nice leather folio, similar to that "Luxury" Irex one, locally that it will fit in and velcro it in
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
badbob001
Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that one too. That's basically just saying that it's pricey, which it is. Doesn't say anything about the functionality though.
From that thread:

Quote:
The cover is not included, I've ordered it separately.
Its mechanics is similar to Sony.
But over all impression clearly is: The cover doesn't have Sony's elegance, although being within the same price range.
Quote:
- I'm very disappointed by the cover. Looks way cheaper than expected.
Quote:
- Cover: I've bought it separately for € 49.95 directly from iRex. In my opinion, it's a bit oversized (width) and feels and looks a bit cheap. I prefer the minimalistic and efficient covers of Kindle or Sony. Or my elegant iRex iLiad cover from M-Edge or my equally elegant cover from Noreve for Cybook Opus. Next to those, the iRex 800 cover is "one league below", for a premium price.
Quote:
I don't like the cover. It's too wide, it doesn't have magnets to keep it shut on its own.
I'm not folding back the cover 360°, don't do that with any of my covers (nor with paperbacks). I fold it 180° and hold it with my left hand. The left part of the cover (the one that I open) rests on my left forearm. It's not heavy and feels about the same as the other covers.
But I simply don't like the look of it. I'll definitely look out for an alternative. Most of the time I've been using it "naked", without the cover.
I guess in other words, it does its job (hasn't exploded ), but it could be better.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Quote:
M-Edge has historically done iRex covers (both the iLiad and DR1000), so they may be working on something. I don't know if Oberon has ever done an iRex device before?
They don't list any Irex covers on their website--nothing.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote