Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Be careful, there's a "mistake" in it. On the main page, it implies the cost is $23.94, but if you actually add it to your cart, or click "info" the price is $35, and they're claiming you "save" $23.94
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I've read Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash, loved them both. You've probably got be be some sort of nerd and/or computer phreak to really enjoy them, which I am (even at 79).

Cryptonomicon bounces back and forth between WWII and current (future?) time, and is a real page turner (oops, I mean button presser).

The main criticism of his work are the abrupt endings. Instead of wrapping things up, he just stops, practically in mid-sentence, but after wading through 1,000 pages, it's OK with me. Actually, Snow Crash on the Reader has 2100 pages.

They are exciting and in many places totally hilarious.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Has anyone ever longed for a "Primer," like in _Diamond Age_?

It seems that the Reader is one step closer to technology like that. Throw in a fancy holder like YvanTerrible's and you are halfway there.

I had no idea that there was a link between _Snow Crash_ and the on-line lifestyle phenomenon. Cool.

As for the Baroque Cycle, few things could be a better example of why an eReader is a wondrous thing. I have _The System of the World_ next to me. From what I can tell, it has the same dimensions as the Reader, but is seven times to thickness. So getting this series as a bundle of files on the Reader at a discount would be a double bonus.

One Caveat: The series, like all good fictitious adventures, requires constant referral to the included maps. However, I guess that hitting the "1" button after bookmarking could solve that problem.

Of the thread, but I just finished the Baroque cycle, and think it was an awesome way to be reacquainted with history. The works are insightful, funny, and a lively way to synthesise a number of the concepts from the Enlightenment and its surrounding eras.
While Stephenson's earlier works did indeed end abruptly, this cycle is closely tied to _Cryptonomicon_, and has some very rewarding epilogues.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Price for bundle is absolutely INCORRECT

This is a quote when a person FIRST sees the price:

"Purchase the bundle at CONNECT with one-click for $23.94 and save 40% off the list price."

There's not getting around viewing this as an advertising error: Purchase...for $23.94.."

Sony: Change the price and I'll buy it right now for $23.94 ---- the price you're advertising.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #20
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Email the, they'll probably fix it before the weekend.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
I've read Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash, loved them both. You've probably got be be some sort of nerd and/or computer phreak to really enjoy them, which I am (even at 79).

Cryptonomicon bounces back and forth between WWII and current (future?) time, and is a real page turner (oops, I mean button presser).

The main criticism of his work are the abrupt endings. Instead of wrapping things up, he just stops, practically in mid-sentence, but after wading through 1,000 pages, it's OK with me. Actually, Snow Crash on the Reader has 2100 pages.

They are exciting and in many places totally hilarious.
Well yes, I guess you must be some kind of geek to read science fiction books dealing with this kind of stuff, but I found Snow Crash pretty easy even for those not used to these kind of writings. There's so much fun wrapped around the whole thing, that makes it much easier to swallow than most cyberpunk books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I agree with most here, Snowcrash is by far one of my favorite books and beats the pants off most cyberpunk I've read to date. Funny enough is the name of the main character; Hiro Protagonist, I thought this was strange at first but funny nonetheless. This book got me hooked on Stephenson, so I read quite a few of his other works. I had a little trouble with Crypto at first, but eventually it found it's pace; not too sure about his latest, like Quicksilver. We'll see.

Bottom line: If you like techno scifi/cyberpunk and haven't read Snowcrash yet... read it, you won't be disappointed.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #23
lumi
lumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Oh, definitely! That was very many varieties of cool.

I loved Snow Crash from beginning to end; Diamond Age seemed to fall apart a bit near the end but was still a thoroughly entertaining and thought-provoking read. I just purchased the Baroque Cycle and expect to spend many happy hours with it. I hardly ever check the connect store, so thanks muchly for the heads-up!
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So from all this talk of Mr. Stephenson, I was tempted to contact him via the interwebs, and ask his opinion of e-readers like the SONY and the Illiad. To my mind, both of these devices come close to the "primer" he described in _The Diamond Age_, and I have for some years wanted a motorcycle crash suit like the one described in _Snow Crash_. There was a youtube posting that showed a similarly exploding safety suit for a billboard worker, but I cannot find the link.

Sadly, according to the author's own website, he is none too interesting in corresponding with random sychophants. Ah well.

Even so, I wonder what he thinks of the Reader. He obviously hopes it is viable enough to make some more money from the venture.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
There was a youtube posting that showed a similarly exploding safety suit for a billboard worker, but I cannot find the link.
I think I've seen something like what you describe in a TV commercial ... Walgreens, maybe? Or perhaps a spot on the Sci-Fi Channell ... I'm not sure.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:

It seems that the Reader is one step closer to technology like that.
Oh, I wish. But the Primer was much more connected than the Sony Reader. The iLiad comes closer, with its possibilities for interaction via the stylus, especially with, for example, Wikipedia. But remember, the main greatness of the Primer was in its content, which was, as requested... "subversive."

Quote:
I had no idea that there was a link between _Snow Crash_ and the on-line lifestyle phenomenon. Cool.
Sure. Check out Second Life.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
Cthulhu
Technologist

Natch: I remember happening upon the safety suit video from a link to the Citroen "dancing car" video.
It was an advertisement for an insurance company, pointing out how righteous and smart and good they are that they assess, identify, and reduce risk.
In it, some goof on a billboard steps back to admire his work, falls, and his coveralls expand into a big bunch of grapes--like the Mars lander dealy--and then deflate after he hits.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's more or less what I'm remembering too. Perhaps I saw the exact same thing ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #29
charkins
charkins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I'm almost done reading this series for the second time (~400 pages left in System of the World). I own all three in hardcover and was halfway through Quicksilver for the second time when I bought my reader. So, of course, I bought all three ebooks through Connect with my $50 credit (why couldn't there have been the bundle price then!).

When I first tried reading Quicksilver, it took me a three times to get in to it (read a few hundred pages, switched to a different book, started over). I did eventually get in to it and I liked them (obviously, since I'm reading them again). There's a lot of elements of history in here, some accurate, some stretched or entirely made up for the purpose of the story. There was some level of this in Cryptonomicon, but it is taken much further and the history (fictional or not) plays a significant role in this series. What makes this series interesting to me, is that there isn't necessarily one overarching plot that encompasses the series. It's more about a number of subplots that criss-cross and tangle. Again this is similar to Cryptonomicon, but taken further.

Anyways, only one of my friends I've recommended the series to made it past the first 500 pages of Quicksilver. He seemed to like it, the rest obviously didn't. The one who made it is also a prolific reader.
charkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just bought Cryptonomicon from Connect

I've started reading it and I like it.

I'm contemplating buying the 3-bundle set that Connect offers, but their price is screwy.

To make a long story somewhat short, how do they get approx. $59 for the set as list? (I've seen the 2nd and 3rd in hardback for $27.95 new list; I don't have an idea how much the 1st one in hardback cost. In trade paper they're -- I think - $15.95 each. Maybe Sony is talking about the combined price of the new mass market editions where they split each hardback volume into numerous mass market editions, effectively charging more for the entire set.)

Anyway, I've seen the 2nd and 3rd as Barnes and Nobles for (I think) $6.99 each in hardcover first edition.

And now Connect has these books for either approx. $24.00 or approx. $36.00

Ok, ok, this was longer than I thought.

I'm wondering if I should buy the first edition hardcovers or just go ahead and get them from Sony.

Any thoughts on my dilemna?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-19-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote