Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
meandher57
Enthusiast
meandher57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Calibre slow in updating metadata

Again... apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Over the past few days I have noticed that Calibre is very slow in transferring over metadata. New books... mere seconds. Metadata... usually with a few seconds of three and a half minutes. And it doesn't matter if I am using it to sideload ONE book.... or forty. Three and a half minutes seems to be the norm.

I updated to the latest version of Calbre, and same problem results.

I am running Windows XP, and A Kobo wi-fi (not touch).

The only suggestion I saw somewhere was to do a factory re-set, but I have no desire to re-load all my epubs if I can help it. There are several hundred on my Kobo.

Anyone else experiencing this slow-down... or come up with a solution?
meandher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I have noticed a definite slow-down lately when using Calibre to download meta-data. I don't know of a solution. I recently did a factory reset and you don't want to re-set a Kobo if you have a large collection of books. I did not do the reset because of the meta-data download problem with Calibre and I don't see anyway that it would have any impact on the Calibre application.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
nothin new for me. If i go through and change meta data, especially the "reading tag". it can take a good 5 minutes per tag change.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Yes, this is typical behavior with the Kobo WiFi. I'm up to 8 or 9 minutes with 800 books loaded. I initiated a similar thread a while back. Note that the developer of the Kobo specific features in Calibre stated that Calibre on Linux does not have this problem. But he wasn't sure when he would have the time to look at this problem.

And yes, I've noticed that if you look at the Calibre job status, lower right hand corner, after you've, for example, sent three or five individual books to the Kobo you will see those three or five updates waiting in the queue for the metadata to be updated. Each update takes its standard amount of time.

Now if I was to remove most of my books from the Kobo this would likely drop substantially but I haven't yet gotten around to testing this.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
meandher57
Enthusiast
meandher57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
It appeared to me... or maybe it was just wishful thinking... that the metadata upload time was about the same if you add ONE new book... or a whole batch at the same time. In my case, with around 500 books, it was 3 1/2 minutes.

Now if I drag and drop the epubs instead of uploading them with Calibre.... does that eliminate the metadata update step? One would think if it (the metadata) was an actual file on the Kobo itself, it would have to be updated somewhere along the way.

Of course I don't really understand how it all works...
meandher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The metadata upload is strictly within Calibre. Using ADE or Drag'n'drop will not do that, however, which ever way books are added to the Kobo there will still be the Kobo's scan of all new books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
I looking at something that might increase the speed. It will be a week or so but pm me if you want to try a custom driver.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I looking at something that might increase the speed. It will be a week or so but pm me if you want to try a custom driver.

Tim
I hope so it is slow when you have 20 books your tidying up. I like Calibre and can not find anything of the same Caliber as what Calibre offers.

thanks guys
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote