Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
thunderune
thunderune began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
attribute "scheme" from namespace error in epubcheck 1.0.5

I am unsure of how to deal with this one, nor am I sure of how to search it.

ERROR: /Users/thunderrune/Desktop/E.S. Wynn - Pink Carbide.epub/OPS/fb.opf(24): attribute "scheme" from namespace "http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" not allowed at this point; ignored

-Thanks
thunderune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You may have some unclosed tag or some compulsory data missing. Can we see the fb.opf file (or the whole .epub)?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
thunderune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You may have some unclosed tag or some compulsory data missing. Can we see the fb.opf file (or the whole .epub)?
It is a whole ePub file, no additional files.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
thunderune

oh yeah, additional information, I made it off of feedbooks.com
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, post it here then.

You know, you go to the advanced posting interface (click on "Go Advanced"), and then click on the "Manage Attachments" button below the text edit box.
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
thunderune

Here it is, if you can fix it or tell me how to fix it that would be great.

To others reading this thread: this attachment is for diagnostic purposes only please do not download unless you intend on helping me fix it, thanks

Last edited by thunderune; 07-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
thunderune

I downloaded it once to see what it did, i am not used to this site
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

This is the culprit:

Code:
<dc:rights  opf:scheme="URI">http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/</dc:rights>
The OPF specification allows "scheme" to be used only in the <identifier> element, not anywhere else. If Feedbooks is including it in <rights>, it's doing wrong, and it's a bug.

Last edited by Jellby; 07-20-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
thunderune

Okay, how do you fix this bug? if fixing is not an option, do you recommend a Ebook program i can use?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Well, first you should write to FeedBooks support: support@feedbooks.com pointing to this thread. I'm sure they'll like to fix it.

In the meantime, fixing the ePUB is easy:

1. Unzip the .epub file, just as if it were a .zip file. If needed, rename the file to .zip first.
2. Open the OPS/fb.opf file with a text editor (not Word, but something like Notepad), and delete the offending opf:scheme="URI"
3. Add the modified file to the original .epub/.zip (or a backup). With WinZip/WinRar it's probably as simple as drag&drop.
4. Rename the .zip back to .epub if you had renamed it first.
5. Check it in the online validator: http://www.threepress.org/tools/

With something like WinZip/WinRar it could be even simpler, they might let you edit the files that are inside the .epub without having to actually unzip it.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #11
thunderune

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderune View Post
Here it is, if you can fix it or tell me how to fix it that would be great.

To others reading this thread: this attachment is for diagnostic purposes only please do not download unless you intend on helping me fix it, thanks
Quote:
Well, first you should write to FeedBooks support: support@feedbooks.com pointing to this thread. I'm sure they'll like to fix it.

1. Unzip the .epub file, just as if it were a .zip file. If needed, rename the file to .zip first.
2. Open the OPS/fb.opf file with a text editor (not Word, but something like Notepad), and delete the offending opf:scheme="URI"
3. Add the modified file to the original .epub/.zip (or a backup). With WinZip/WinRar it's probably as simple as drag&drop.

With something like WinZip/WinRar it could be even simpler, they might let you edit the files that are inside the .epub without having to actually unzip it.
thanks, but I did exactly as stated and now it is having a filename error stating that

"ERROR: /Users/thunderrune/Desktop/E.S. Wynn-Pink Carbide.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 9"

any Ideas i would appriciate it

thanks,

Randy
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
thanks, but I did exactly as stated and now it is having a filename error stating that

"ERROR: /Users/thunderrune/Desktop/E.S. Wynn-Pink Carbide.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 9"

any Ideas i would appriciate it

thanks,

Randy
This is the error you get when the mimetype isn't treated properly. Use epubtweak to extract the opf file for editing and it'll avoid this.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Does that happen when you zip only the modified file into the original ePUB? Valid ePUB files are required to have the "mimetype" file zipped first and uncompressed. If you update only the modified files, the "mimetype" should remain unchanged and therefore the ePUB should remain valid. If the zip program does not behave in this way, it's probably not a bug, but it's weird. If, on the other hand, you are zipping again the whole contents of the original ePUB, don't do that, and update only the modified *.opf file instead.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #14
thunderune

Quote:
Does that happen when you zip only the modified file into the original ePUB? Valid ePUB files are required to have the "mimetype" file zipped first and uncompressed. If you update only the modified files, the "mimetype" should remain unchanged and therefore the ePUB should remain valid. If the zip program does not behave in this way, it's probably not a bug, but it's weird. If, on the other hand, you are zipping again the whole contents of the original ePUB, don't do that, and update only the modified *.opf file instead.
Yeah I used stuffit archive manager to do this. I actually tried to create an archive from an unzipped folder but it didn't work. Ill try to use the aforementioned program an ill see how it works.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #15
thunderune

Quote:

SUCCESS!! Thanks for the help guys! I will now report it to feedbooks.