Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
RobinB
RobinB began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Post Using Calibre to catalog journal articles?

About half (or more) of what I collect are PDFs of articles from my professional journals. The default metadata form is in adequate for this purpose. Is there anyway to change it or have more than one?

RobinB
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
The default metadata form is in adequate for this purpose. Is there anyway to change it or have more than one?
You can use tags, or wait for the next version 0.7.x which will have user-defined fields. If you can't wait, take a look at the sticky thread on the 0.6.9x beta version.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
synlor
synlor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX
I'd recommend you look into a program called Mendeley. It's built just for academic purposes; it can pull metadata automatically from articles, cross reference between papers, and it has some useful annotation features are just a few of the features. Calibre is great, but in this case a more specialized program would work better than calibre's do everything approach.
synlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Or use Zotero, a bibliographic manager built into Firefox. It interfaces well with open-office & word to manage citations in papers you write.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
profjojo
profjojo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I've checked out both over the last two days. Zotero's better at capturing metadata from EBSCO, so if you are mostly concerned (as I am) with good storage of the PDFs and good cataloging, I would go with Zotero.
profjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
idwtgyai
idwtgyai began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Sorry, I really like this thread and I'd like to revive it as the question is still relevant after seven years.

I love calibre and I think it's great that it will make .bib BibTex reference catalogs. I've used this already. But Calibre still doesn't seem to have most of the tags needed for papers, i.e. volume, number, and pages, or integration with EBSCO.

I have looked into Zotoro, but it's a little creepy, and there are *many* more tools that do the same thing.

1) Does any one know if Calibre (or plugin) will soon support more journal article metadata soon?

2) If not, does anyone have a companion, external tool that works with the Calibre library so I don't have to duplicate all the work I've done building my Calibre library which is full of journal articles already.
idwtgyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by idwtgyai View Post
Sorry, I really like this thread and I'd like to revive it as the question is still relevant after seven years.

I love calibre and I think it's great that it will make .bib BibTex reference catalogs. I've used this already. But Calibre still doesn't seem to have most of the tags needed for papers, i.e. volume, number, and pages, or integration with EBSCO.

I have looked into Zotoro, but it's a little creepy, and there are *many* more tools that do the same thing.

1) Does any one know if Calibre (or plugin) will soon support more journal article metadata soon?

2) If not, does anyone have a companion, external tool that works with the Calibre library so I don't have to duplicate all the work I've done building my Calibre library which is full of journal articles already.
The only one I know of is ==>> Zotero Metadata Importer

There's plugin for Mendeley, but it hasn't been kept up to date with changes in the API, and it never officially made it to the PI index, i.e. it was always 'experimental'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journals, metadata