Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Mac library software?
Bookpedia 2 66.67%
Booxter 0 0%
Delicious Library 1 33.33%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Good library / cataloging software for Mac?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good piece of Mac software to make a book catalogue for my paper books and ebooks. (yes, I'm the kind of guy that still reads pbooks while owning an eReader)

I have looked into Delicious Library, Booxter, Bookpedia but none of those seem to be just right.

Since I am Belgian, I have quite a few Belgian books, and Booxter seems to be the only one able to find these. I do prefer the Bookpedia interface, and for some reason people are raving about Delicious Library, so that one probably is OK too.

Now, which one should I choose? Or did I miss some?
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I would personally recommend a web based product. There are several...

Not sure exactly what you are looking for though. Perhaps describe a use case you would want for ebook and pbook.

Have you looked at librarything.com or goodreads.com ? Those seem to be the most popular among the members here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I would personally recommend a web based product. There are several...

Not sure exactly what you are looking for though. Perhaps describe a use case you would want for ebook and pbook.

Have you looked at librarything.com or goodreads.com ? Those seem to be the most popular among the members here.
I hadn't even thought of web-based products! I'm checking out Librarything at the moment, and so far so good!

(I even seem to have made an account there in the past)

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 08-22-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
After a lot of changes, I use a simple spreadsheet (the way I began cataloguing my books the other century, after all) AND goodreads for what I'm reading at the moment (see signature). Don't plan to make it my primary database for books, though.

I could do with Delicious Library, but I have far too many Italian books (and the ones form the 1970s-1980s don't have the ISBN, so) and the interface isn't that terrible (plus throwing together dvds, vhs, tapes, cds and books, yuck). And it's quite costly too- after all, the only nice/geek-fascinating feature is the barcode reading, so, uhm, I can spare those dollars to buy more books
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict

I discovered that Librarything is able to search in many national databases for book data for a given ISBN number; a feature most cataloging programs do not seem to have.
I have thus far had only one book that it didn't find by ISBN.

So... I am quite pleased at the moment.
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I discovered that Librarything is able to search in many national databases for book data for a given ISBN number; a feature most cataloging programs do not seem to have.
I have thus far had only one book that it didn't find by ISBN.

So... I am quite pleased at the moment.
I really like it. You can check out my library (books I've read is how I use it) at http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob

BOb
Old 08-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict

Thanks Bob, I sent you a "friend request".
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Thanks Bob, I sent you a "friend request".
Cool... I invited you to the MR group there.

BOb