Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
iozy
iozy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Buying a 505 in Germany.. English menus?

I'm a brit studying in Germany and I'm a little impatient to get my hands on a 505... Despite the price bump (They are about 265 quid here compared to 199 at home) I'm thinking about buying one from the local bookstore... I'm wondering if it would support changing to English menus out of the box, or would it be necessary to use a user-translated localisation hack as mentioned in earlier posts here?

I can't believe Sony didn't include a simple language menu like most devices do these days. If I'd rather buy a 'british' original english 505, are there any UK retailers that would ship to Germany? Play.com can't ship electronics abroad for example.

Many thanks for your help...
iozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Doesn't Waterstones ship abroad?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yep, Waterstone's will happily ship it anywhere. But you can also buy the German Reader and reflash it with US firmware (though I think importing one from UK might be still cheaper).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
iozy
iozy began at the beginning.

OK does anyone have any experience with any other UK mail-order 505 supplier shipping to Europe? I'm a bit loath to shop with Waterstones and don't have much faith in their mailorder operation being able to get it out to me in less than 10 days... there must be a more rapid option...
iozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

It took about 10 days for my reader to reach Spain from waterstones, and I used standard mail.
Maybe I was lucky, because I also read other stories, but if I were you I would mentalize myself for a 15 days wait and order it abroad.

(but I understand your impatience, at the time I had no other option...)
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert