Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sleazy Detective Novels

Thought it might be fun to read some of the 1930s, 40s noir-ish detective novels like Mike Hammer, Agatha Christie, Dashell Hammet etc Anybody know a source for these? I've seen a few Christie novels on the Sony site but that's all I've noticed.

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Thought it might be fun to read some of the 1930s, 40s noir-ish detective novels like Mike Hammer, Agatha Christie, Dashell Hammet etc Anybody know a source for these? I've seen a few Christie novels on the Sony site but that's all I've noticed.
Munseys has batch of Dashiell Hammett short works, including a batch of the Continental Op stories. The longer Hammett work still seems to be encumbered on copyrights.

http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/author/hammett

Munseys is a good source of noir stuff aside from Hammett -- look in the Pulp Fiction category. Lots of Ed Lacy and others.

http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/cat/12/Pulp_Fiction

Munseys makes stuff available in eBookwise EB1150, HTML, iSilo, Kindle, Mobipocket, MS Lit, PDF, Plucker, and Rocket ebook formats.

Christie was many things, but "noir" wasn't one of them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
For 'sleazy' detective novels you might want to check out the book uploads on this site for the Norbert Davis novels posted by Dr. Drib and myself.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yes, Dr Drib posted several "noir" style stories by various authors.
When you checkout the e-book section click on the uploader column and it will sort the books by the uploader. Look for Dr Drib.

Last edited by BenG; 02-04-2008 at 05:57 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post

Thanks
Not sure what you mean by "sleazy" since the three authors you mentioned are very different, but have you tried any novels by Sax Rohmer? I think he is chiefly remembered for his Fu Man-chu books, but he also wrote others sharing the same detective protagonist. They lean more to pulp than noir, but you might enjoy them. They are filled with damsels in danger from decadent oriental gentlemen etc.

You can also try books by or about Nick Carter. I think Nick Carter was a pseudonym used by a number of authors. The stories were written before noir became popular, and are mostly detective stories.

If you want something more in the of classic noir you might try Peter Rabe or Thomas Thursday; both available at munseys.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at the "Garrett P.I." series by Glen Cook

Garret is a private hard boiled detective ala Phill Marlowe.

Please see the description on Wikipedia from the link above.
quote:
"... The novels are written in a film noir-esque style ..."
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
and speaking of whom, if you want noir... no good mystery collection is complete without the works of Raymond Chandler, the creator of archetypal eye Philip Marlowe. From wikipedia :

Quote:
Raymond Thornton Chandler (July 23, 1888 - March 26, 1959) was an author of crime stories and novels of immense stylistic influence upon modern crime fiction, especially in the style of the writing and the attitudes now characteristic of the genre. His protagonist, Philip Marlowe, is synonymous with "private detective", along with Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade.
my personal favorite is "The Big Sleep" but they're all brilliant.

The film of The Big Sleep (Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall !!) is also excellent.

I found ebook versions of chandler books here :
http://www.ebookmall.com/alpha-autho...d-Chandler.htm
several formats available, not very expensive

and here :
http://www.ereader.com/product/book/series/1151
in eReader format.

there are more ; do a google search for "Raymond Chandler ebook"

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-05-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: found some links
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and speaking of whom, if you want noir... no good mystery collection is complete without the works of Raymond Chandler, the creator of archetypal eye Philip Marlowe. From wikipedia :

my personal favorite is "The Big Sleep" but they're all brilliant.

The film of The Big Sleep (Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall !!) is also excellent.

I found ebook versions of chandler books here :
http://www.ebookmall.com/alpha-autho...d-Chandler.htm
several formats available, not very expensive

and here :
http://www.ereader.com/product/book/series/1151
in eReader format.

there are more ; do a google search for "Raymond Chandler ebook"
Only one recording of Raymond Chandler's speaking voice survives, a BBC interview conducted with Chandler in 1958 by none other than Ian Fleming. You can listen to it by going here .
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Only one recording of Raymond Chandler's speaking voice survives, a BBC interview conducted with Chandler in 1958 by none other than Ian Fleming. You can listen to it by going here .
well that's absolutely brilliant. thank you.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Madam Broshkina, I can't seem to get it to work on my Windows machine. Is there any way to download the mp3 as a file, rather than a quicktime stream? - RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Madam Broshkina, I can't seem to get it to work on my Windows machine. Is there any way to download the mp3 as a file, rather than a quicktime stream? - RSE
it's working fine for me. but since it's a direct link, you should be able to do right click / save as, and play it locally.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Have a look at the "Garrett P.I." series by Glen Cook

Please see the description on Wikipedia from the link above.
quote:
"... The novels are written in a film noir-esque style ..."
Are there ebooks for sale? I've only found a couple of ebooks from that series, none of them the first one. I would like to start reading this series from the beggining.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Quicktime stream? That link downloaded here as an MP3 file, and opened in Windows Media Player.

I run Windows XP Pro SP3, with Firefox 3 as my default browser. If your PC is trying to deal with it as Quicktime, you may need to check your browser settings. Sounds like you lack WMP, or your browser doesn't have the proper plugins loaded, or both.

If you run Firefox, try right-clicking the link in Madam Broshkina's post and selecting Save Link As.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Got it. Thanks, one and all....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Also look at the Philo Vance novels by S. S. Van Dine. They are available on Feedbooks...
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote