Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Have you taken a look at the Nook Glow? It might fit your needs.
Thank you I just checked it out.

I can get it here via internet for AUD $222.

As it can be charged via micro usb and the box also includes an 'adaptor' then charging is no prob. (Though if it's within the standard type range of 110v to 240v then a micro usb to wall flex works just as easily and I've got plenty of those.)

Thanks again!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm presuming the Nook will read DRM free ebooks?

Not just Barnes and Noble DRM'd books?

I'm not talking about the format - but some sort of way of signifying whether the book is a B&N product.

Anyone know?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Ah, Australia, at the bottom of the world! No wonder they need the light to shine through the back of the display.

rkomar seems to be getting tetchy as the Olympic Games draws nearer and Australia once again wipes the Canadians out of the race!!!!

Said as she hugs her boxing kangaroo .......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxing-kangaroo_lg.gif
Views:	130
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	88243  

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-23-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
That's a bit harsh don't you think?

.... rides off in my kangaroo...
Here's looking at you kid

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-04-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Be very careful with the Nook products. They have their readers partitioned so that the larger (majority) part of the reader's memory is for B&N ebooks with a minimal part to non-N&N books. It's a PITA & zero warranty outside the US.

They're not a good option for people outside the US.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thank you Shopaholic, I didn't realise that because I haven't looked into B&N before. We don't have them here in Aus.

I do hope that now they've broken the ice so to speak with devising an ereader with some form of on board lighting that other manufacturers hop to and devise their own, and preferably at 7 inches (yeah personal preference).

PS what's a Cockatoo Mom?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Also, I don't think you can buy B&N content for a Nook outside of the US, though I could be mistaken.

I can't believe you are asking What's a cockatoo mom, when you live in the native home of the cockatoo! I am not her, but I assume it means she has a cockatoo pet bird. I considered one at one point, but got a scarlet macaw instead. Was a better choice for me, as the last 17 years have proven!

Anyway for lights....I got one of these M-Edge covers with a free light for $9.99, and I put my Sony T-1 in it. That light is really fantastic!!! I love it and use it for my Kindle, too. It is a soft light, with three lighting levels. If you can get one for that price, and if your 650 will fit in it, you should get one.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Hi ya Booklover6

RE the light - looks good, though I've got the Sony 650 jacket that contains the light and i find that it glares on the screen and it isn't strong enough either.

Also, it only highlights a portion of the screen and not the whole screen - so I don't find it successful at all.

Re Cockatoos .... yeah I've got plenty around me all day, but the phrase 'Cockatoo Mum' is not colloquial to Aus. I wondered if it might be the name of a sporting team or such.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-04-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Beautiful picture. The Galahs are known as Rose Breasted here and VERY expensive, pretty rare.

To me the M-edge light lights up the entire screen very, very well. Much better than the attached light on the Kindle lighted cover, for example. But you might prefer to wait for the rumored front-lit Kindle, which I hope will be announced next month.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
rkomar seems to be getting tetchy as the Olympic Games draws nearer and Australia once again wipes the Canadians out of the race!!!!

Said as she hugs her boxing kangaroo .......
Sorry, but your Aussie taunts are falling on deaf ears. After the rubbishing we got in the British Press during the Vancouver Winter Games, we're really only interested in listening to accounts of English pratfalls during the London Olympics. Perhaps you Aussies can help in that regard.

Said as he hugs his annoying nuisance of a beaver.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL it's pretty straight forward. I have Cockatoos & I'm their mom, so...Cockatoo Mom. I have a Goffin's & an Umbrella who are native to Indonesia.

The Goffin is quite the handful. She's smaller than the 'Brella but WAY more work! I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world but I wouldn't get another either!! The 'Brella is 19 & the Goffin is 16. We've had each since they were 6 months old. The 'Brella & I get beaten up by the Goffin all the time. I have holes all over my hands because of her. I had to get a couple of stitches recently because she lost her mind one day. The 'Brella has had to go to the vet once because the little fart bit the side of her beak to the point where it bled. Mad? Understatement!!

I was livid but if your second child beats up your first child you don't just dump it on the streets so we deal with her outbursts. She gets easily excited & angry. We have to watch for the signs & not let it get that far.

She makes up for it with her adorable, sweet moments. The Umbrella is perfect in temperment. She doesn't bite. She'll threaten you but she won't bite. When we do her nails she grabs our finger, squeezes, then puts her crest up and yells at you. LOL HEY FOOL!! I SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! LOL too funny. Then to make sure you've understood she takes the nail file & wings it across the room. LOL
Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #27
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Beautiful picture. The Galahs are known as Rose Breasted here and VERY expensive, pretty rare.

To me the M-edge light lights up the entire screen very, very well. Much better than the attached light on the Kindle lighted cover, for example. But you might prefer to wait for the rumored front-lit Kindle, which I hope will be announced next month.
Booklover I agree re waiting to see what happens now that the standard re front lighting is being made amongst the ebook companies.

RE the Galahs - I hadn't realised that our Galahs had another name.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-04-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Sorry, but your Aussie taunts are falling on deaf ears. After the rubbishing we got in the British Press during the Vancouver Winter Games, we're really only interested in listening to accounts of English pratfalls during the London Olympics. Perhaps you Aussies can help in that regard.

Said as he hugs his annoying nuisance of a beaver.
Eh, taunts??? Who practises taunts? Most unsporting like!!

Nah .... I was stating a fact!!!

I think the reporting of the Commonwealth Games in India takes the cake (and the award) for worst ever appreciation of one's hosts whilst reporting in the host country though.

Glad to help out re bettering the gold tally over the Poms!!!

Show us a picture of your beaver ....

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-24-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #29
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
LOL it's pretty straight forward. I have Cockatoos & I'm their mom, so...Cockatoo Mom. I have a Goffin's & an Umbrella who are native to Indonesia.

The Goffin is quite the handful. She's smaller than the 'Brella but WAY more work! I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world but I wouldn't get another either!! The 'Brella is 19 & the Goffin is 16. We've had each since they were 6 months old. The 'Brella & I get beaten up by the Goffin all the time. I have holes all over my hands because of her. I had to get a couple of stitches recently because she lost her mind one day. The 'Brella has had to go to the vet once because the little fart bit the side of her beak to the point where it bled. Mad? Understatement!!

I was livid but if your second child beats up your first child you don't just dump it on the streets so we deal with her outbursts. She gets easily excited & angry. We have to watch for the signs & not let it get that far.

She makes up for it with her adorable, sweet moments. The Umbrella is perfect in temperment. She doesn't bite. She'll threaten you but she won't bite. When we do her nails she grabs our finger, squeezes, then puts her crest up and yells at you. LOL HEY FOOL!! I SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! LOL too funny. Then to make sure you've understood she takes the nail file & wings it across the room. LOL
Shopaholic, I'm sorry to tell you that even though you've suffered (and continue to suffer) at the beak of your number 2 - that I have laughed so much at these antics that I had tears rolling down my cheeks!!!

Woot woot woot!!

And then to top it off your little fart knows how to yell at you!!! Oh deary too too much in the hooting and laughter stakes at my end!

-----------------------
I've just checked out pics of the Goffin and the Umbrella - hadn't realised either species existed before (you can tell I'm not really a birdo, eh)

The Goffin looks like it's a relative of the Cockatoo ..... so do you give it plenty of wood to chew on? They really need to keep sharpening their beaks and so they strip wood / bark etc.

They live in and around all the trees near me and I can tell you that they strip all the wood in every one's places if you don't keep shooing them away.

Farmers regard them as a pest because they strip some crops too .... think sunflower etc.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Umbrellas and Goffins are Cockatoos. Cockatoo is the type of parrot and Umbrella & Goffin are species of Cockatoos. Similar to saying Dog but what type of dog - German Shepherd, poodle etc.

I have videos of them up on Youtube. The lastest one is the Brella escaping from her cage in seconds flat!! LOL

Oh ya! They get lots of toys. My hubby makes them & they love them but they still like to chew things they're not supposed to. Like......the chair, the wall frame, the baseboard, the carpet on the stairs, the underpadding from the carpet on the stairs, the wood under the underpadding under the carpet on the stairs...you get the idea!! !

Yes, Jake can very much be a pest but when she's cute, she's adorable. ???? Jake for a girl??? We thought she was a he for the first 16 years of her life. But she laid an egg one day so that changed!! LOL It's still hard to get used to saying she instead of he but she knows her name and we can't change it.

They make life fun & interesting.