Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
mjbelknap
mjbelknap began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Calibre copy/delete possibility?

Is there a setting I can change to have Calibre simply move my file into the library rather then copying it? I can see the benefit of having an original, but I don't need to duplicate my entire library for this. It would be most beneficial when adding multiple documents but not everything in a large fail at once. Going back and trying to remember what I transferred can be a pain.
mjbelknap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbelknap View Post
Is there a setting I can change to have Calibre simply move my file into the library rather then copying it? I can see the benefit of having an original, but I don't need to duplicate my entire library for this. It would be most beneficial when adding multiple documents but not everything in a large fail at once. Going back and trying to remember what I transferred can be a pain.
Make a 'working' (temporary) folder. Move some of the files into that befor importing. When import succeeds, delete the folder.
Repeat
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Make a 'working' (temporary) folder. Move some of the files into that befor importing. When import succeeds, delete the folder.
Repeat
That's how I did it, but instead of hitting "delete", I moved the folder into a new folder "Done." When I had finished entering all of my books, I was "done" and my original library was empty, but I still had all of my original formats in "Done", for reference. I really hate to see people deleting their source books. Even if you bring everything into Calibre perfectly, there's the chance you'll overwrite a good format with a bad conversion to the same format, etc. Storage is cheap. Wait a year or so, then delete them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
+1 to that, zip & burn to CD / DVD if you are really short of disc space.

it's always good to keep original sources. I once messed up a good video ( avi/divx ) collection but batch running a free divx fix utility without adequate testing. it was meant to fix up broken indexes, but in fact it badly mangled some source files & I hadn't backed them up 1st.

as calibre will overwrite without warning or recourse during conversions, it's really important to take backups before making any big changes to your library.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
And with disk space under 4 cents per GIGABYTE, there is little excuse for running out.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
mdill97599
mdill97599 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
this is an additional question on deleting from the calibre library. calibre picked up something that i didnt want (im log) and added it to the library. when i wanted to delete, message that it would remove it from calibre AND my computer. does this mean it would delete even from the source folder ? im not sure i even like calibre now
mdill97599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdill97599 View Post
this is an additional question on deleting from the calibre library. calibre picked up something that i didnt want (im log) and added it to the library. when i wanted to delete, message that it would remove it from calibre AND my computer. does this mean it would delete even from the source folder ? im not sure i even like calibre now
Calibre will not delete anything outside its own library folder. The warning message is phrased in a way that alerts you that the file in the library folder will be gone as well, not just the entry in the library. Calibre keeps no link to your original files outside its library and will not, regardless of what you do, alter or delete them.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote