Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Conserv
Conserv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch, can't get rid of the ads.

Hello everyone!
Recently I've jailbreaked my Kindle Touch 3g using data.tgz method (unfortunately I used the one without an uninstaller).
After that I've used the following method to get rid of the ads and install my own screensaver: [Ad removal link removed by moderator.]

Everything was fine for a while, but then, suddenly ads came back again.
So I turned UN on again and for another time deleted the ads. It was fine for some time and then the ads came back once more. I've realized that it happened when Kindle got 3G or WiFi connection, so it probably has downloaded the ad files from the amazon.

I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the ads permanently.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-26-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Removed ad removal link.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I think you have to pay Amazon $40 and they will do it.
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I think you have to pay Amazon $40 and they will do it.
Doesn't sound like the OP wants to go that route...
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Kindle Touch has adds? I assumed it was just the lower priced keyboard model?

I was thinking if my K3 fell apart sometime I'd get the Touch. Don't mean to hijack this thread!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon provide you with a perfectly legitimate way to get rid of the ads. You appear to be implying that, having voluntarily accepted a $40 reductiOn in the price of your Kindle in exchange for accepting advertising, you now wish to break the terms of the contract that you freely and willingly entered into.

Do the right thing: if you want to remove the ads, do it the legal way.
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Go to you Kindle Account & Turn them OFF
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
The Kindle Touch has adds? I assumed it was just the lower priced keyboard model?

I was thinking if my K3 fell apart sometime I'd get the Touch. Don't mean to hijack this thread!
Amazon sells the Touch with or without ads, your choice. And as people in this thread have posted, you also have the option of paying the difference once you've bought the one with special offers to have them removed.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conserv View Post
Hello everyone!
Recently I've jailbreaked my Kindle Touch 3g using data.tgz method (unfortunately I used the one without an uninstaller).
After that I've used the following method to get rid of the ads and install my own screensaver: [Ad removal link removed by moderator.]

Everything was fine for a while, but then, suddenly ads came back again.
So I turned UN on again and for another time deleted the ads. It was fine for some time and then the ads came back once more. I've realized that it happened when Kindle got 3G or WiFi connection, so it probably has downloaded the ad files from the amazon.

I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the ads permanently.

Thanks in advance.
Amazon sold you a Kindle at a special price in return for you agreeing to accept ads on the device as part of the bargain. The responsible thing would be for you to either honor your part of the bargain or pay the extra $40 to opt out of that contract.

To remove the ads, go to Amazon.com > Your Account > Manage Your Kindle > Manage Your Devices > and fork over the difference in price between what you paid and the ad-free price.

Moderator Notice
Mobileread disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

Thread

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Closed Thread