Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
New Nook firmware v1.3 now avaiable

B&N have released version 1.3 for the nook. This includes the follow features:

• Basic Web Browser
  • Free (yes really) Read in Store
  • Chess game
  • Soduku game
  • Improved loading and page turning speeds
You can find more information and manually d/l the update from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/new-features or just wait for the OTA update.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
B&N have released version 1.3 for the nook. This includes the follow features:

• Basic Web Browser
  • Free (yes really) Read in Store
  • Chess game
  • Soduku game
  • Improved loading and page turning speeds
You can find more information and manually d/l the update from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/new-features or just wait for the OTA update.

BOb
Sony and Amazon, you can up the ante, surely!
Amazon could port Infocom text adventure games at the very least.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I m posting from the nok tight now. It is not bad as a one finger system. I'm holding it in one hand and typing with my forefnger. It is reasonably fast.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I m posting from the nok tight now.
Just a guess, but I would say the Nook's virtual keypad must not be very good judging from the typos.

I played with a Nook at BN a couple months ago and was totally underwhelmed. I hope for owners of Nooks that v1.3 solves a lot of the problems with this reader. It was definitely released before it was polished.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
The web browser works a lot better than I thought it would. Is the most enjoyable way of browsing the web, no, but it has displayed every page I have tried quite well. I do wish in the settings there was an orientation change for browser unless I am just not seeing it. I tried out kotaku which has a lot of data and such and it displayed it all but you got to scroll around a lot. This led me to discover that you can zoom pages out and obviously will have smaller text. Just open up the browser guide bar in the top left of the touch screen and click the zoom in button icon and it will bring up the option to zoom in or zoom out so you can fit the whole width of the page on your nook screen. Unfortunately it does make the font quite small but still readable for at least me.

My other complaint of the web browser is the rectangle box they show on the e-ink screen to indicate what is being shown on the touch screen has too thick of a border so I have to keep moving it because it is blocking out lines of text.

Overall, I am really enjoying the web browser.

Also you can now connect to free WiFi networks that use a browser page to login.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
tgeek
tgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800, Jetbook
Have any of you tried the browser with Project Gutenberg, Oreilly Bookwarm, or Google Books? Those are the three places that I go to to read books online, and I'm wondering how well they work.
tgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeek View Post
Have any of you tried the browser with Project Gutenberg, Oreilly Bookwarm, or Google Books? Those are the three places that I go to to read books online, and I'm wondering how well they work.
Downloads are not supported.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
tgeek
tgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800, Jetbook
I'm not referring to downloads, I'm referring to the online reading functions. How well are those online books being displayed on the nook?

For example:
Great Expectations (Google Books)
Moby Dick (Project Gutenberg)
tgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Sony and Amazon, you can up the ante, surely!
I got my Sony because of initial bad reviews for the nook, looks like they at least are attempting to add functionality and improve performance. I've not seen anything on my Sony, of course it only a few months old.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
My main concern is that they seem to have added games, while the biggest gap the device had in my mind was unaddressed. When iBooks has better ways to view my book collection (both bought and side loaded), I'm saddened.

Okay, I'm done venting now. :P
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeek View Post
I'm not referring to downloads, I'm referring to the online reading functions. How well are those online books being displayed on the nook?

For example:
Great Expectations (Google Books)
Moby Dick (Project Gutenberg)
The Gutenberg one didn't work well. It expects a screen that's wider than the Nook, and the content doesn't reflow. I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Two questions:

How's the browser compared to the Alex and the Kindle?

Does it work over 3G? Engadget said something about getting a "page not found" when they tried it.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Web browsing is only allowed over WiFi, perhaps another reason they beefed up the WiFi UI and free hotspot login via web page stuff.

The browser is certainly more sophisticated than the Kindle's in terms of rendering full HTML desktop sites with fidelity. We're still waiting for our Alex review unit, so I can't speak to that (we should have it any day now, can't wait!).
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Web browsing is only allowed over WiFi, perhaps another reason they beefed up the WiFi UI and free hotspot login via web page stuff.

The browser is certainly more sophisticated than the Kindle's in terms of rendering full HTML desktop sites with fidelity. We're still waiting for our Alex review unit, so I can't speak to that (we should have it any day now, can't wait!).
Thanks!

It's weird, because 90% of my library is in Amazon, but I'm oddly tempted by the nook after this release. I think it's just the desire for something new and shiny.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
Thanks!

It's weird, because 90% of my library is in Amazon, but I'm oddly tempted by the nook after this release. I think it's just the desire for something new and shiny.
What do you really gain over the Kindle with a nook. A few basic games? Sure, it supports ePub and that opens up your store selection. But, who cares if any ebook you can get is in the Kindle store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote