Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #46
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Can someone tell me if the T3 still uses the same power connector as the PRS-505? That's another reason I like Sony's reader. I feel like the power connector is much more robust than USB and you don't have to care what direction you plug it in etc. I also reduces the number of plug/unplug cycles on the USB port and hopefully prolongs its life.
I use the same recharger on my T3 as I did on my 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Oh, and can I still use the trick of specifying fonts in a directory on the device instead of including them directly in the epub?
My T3 offers Original, Amasis, Frutiger, Palatino Nova, Really No 2, Univers Next, and Verdana. Frutiger, Univers, and Verdana are sans fonts; the others are serifs. I find it very helpful to have the font choices because they seem to be slightly different sizes for the same font size setting. So if I set the aA setting to the third from the left and it's a bit big I use Universe Next; if it's a bit small I use Verdana.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I use the same recharger on my T3 as I did on my 650.

My T3 offers Original, Amasis, Frutiger, Palatino Nova, Really No 2, Univers Next, and Verdana. Frutiger, Univers, and Verdana are sans fonts; the others are serifs. I find it very helpful to have the font choices because they seem to be slightly different sizes for the same font size setting. So if I set the aA setting to the third from the left and it's a bit big I use Universe Next; if it's a bit small I use Verdana.
I do that too with the fonts, as much for line spacing as size.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got my T3 on Wednesday and I must say I agree with the OP. It is a great reader. Within an hour I had it charged and ready to go with my collections sorted (thanks to the incredible calibre people) and was reading. I've finished a book without a hitch. So far, like the 600 and x50 series it just works.

I bought the one without the case for $99 and am not feeling I paid too much. The back has sort of a matte finish which feels very good and it is super easy to read one-handed. I may buy a lighted cover and I may not.

I have not been able to reproduce the application errors that occurred on the T1 removing books etc. and so far no page skips. Not saying it won't happen, but so far so good. The battery says 99% after 252 ADE pages and a lot of playing around trying to invoke an error.

The screen appears to me and my aged eyes as good as any I have used and the font choices are more than sufficient for my needs. I haven't tried the wireless or web browser because I prefer side-loading and have been too lazy to try it.

I don't want to root it, although I have rooted and jailbroken other devices. Basically I want to turn it on and read.

Helen
Old 11-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #49
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
[QUOTE=Rizla;2666484The big disadvantage for me is that the UI is probably limited. No Prs+ for the T3, not even rooting and Coolreader. Stuck with standard Sony UI which works well and is stable, but always lacks enough features for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to figure out what advantages there are to "rooting". Which features do you enjoy in a rooted version that does not come with the T2 or T3?
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #50
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Thanks guys
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #51
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I may buy a lighted cover and I may not.
The light attached to the cover got some pretty bad reviews mainly because you cannot change its position much. I bought a Wedo 2541500 LED light with a clip for 11 Euros. The edges of the T3 are not too slim for clipping it to the reader but it is clear that it is designed for wider edges. The light spreads perfectly over the whole screen and you can bend it in any position you like. I use it also for P-books by simply clipping it to a slim CD jewel case as base.

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #52
speakingtohe
Wizard

That seems to be a European light only?
I am sure I will find something

Helen
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
That seems to be a European light only?
Ah, surprise. Sorry, I didn't think of this possibility.

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Just wondering if Sony brought back the letter index running down the side of the screen for the T3?

(It's not a dealbreaker, and my beloved 650 is holding up just fine, but I'm considering getting a spare, as Bestbuy has caseless T3's on sale now for 79 bucks.)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #55
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Just wondering if Sony brought back the letter index running down the side of the screen for the T3?

(It's not a dealbreaker, and my beloved 650 is holding up just fine, but I'm considering getting a spare, as Bestbuy has caseless T3's on sale now for 79 bucks.)
No index, but the slidebar actually works ok.

So far the T3 seems very stable, and collections are the same. I liked the buttons better on the x50 but the T3 is smaller and lighter I think and the caseless T3 feels good to hold. Screen may be nicer but not significantly.

There are a few more changes function wise, but mostly for the better AFAIK

Helen
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #56
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
No index, but the slidebar actually works ok.

So far the T3 seems very stable, and collections are the same. I liked the buttons better on the x50 but the T3 is smaller and lighter I think and the caseless T3 feels good to hold. Screen may be nicer but not significantly.

There are a few more changes function wise, but mostly for the better AFAIK

Helen
Thanks Helen.
I haven't decided whether or not to pick one up yet. I'm still expecting an EARL tablet to arrive once they go into production, so maybe I'll hold off on the T3 for now.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #57
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
For the lighted cover, is it smart enough to automatically turn off if the reader turns off/goes to sleep due to inactivity?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #58
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I started out with Sony and while I love the devices I think after they discontinued the 950 is when I became disappointed. I bought the T2 and for the money it's not worth a whole lot. The T series is made out of plastic now; the 950 was metal, only slightly heavier but seemed way more sturdy, had a way for you to listen to music whereas the T series doesn't (I like to listen to nature sounds or crackling fire, simple things that relax me when it's a certain time of day), allowed you to have an entire SD card instead of a micro (my laptop doesn't take a micro SD, I had to buy a new SD card), and there's no way to add a cover to the T series. The 505 and #50 series were the best ones to come out from Sony, I was sad to see them discontinued so fast.

For the price I think the T3 should be way cheaper but if it is basically the T2 with a cover you are correct, Matt- it has a crisp, clear screen, the refresh rate is good, and overall it's really nice. I paid $100 for my T2 and to be honest, I would return it to buy a used 650 or 950 series if I could. At the same time, when I bought my first reader (my PRS-505) I remember paying $200 or more and it doesn't have a touchscreen and isn't connected to Wi-Fi. It was also right after readers started getting attention but before they started upgrading the models 3 times a year
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #59
Jasmine GreenTea
Enthusiast
Jasmine GreenTea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa E2, Kobo Aura H20 ed 2, Kobo Clara, Sony PRS T2 & T3
Hyphenation - indeed?

Quote:
JExcellent hyphenation, not that I care that much.

Helen
Hi, Helen,

you mention hyphenation, something I have never encountered in any review of the T3. I own a T2 and sometimes I wished that it had the capability to hyphenate automatically texts.

(I have tried out a hyphenation plug-in made for Calibre, that introduced hyphens in the text. But then I found that the invisible hyphen signs ruined searches in the e-book. So I desinstalled the thing).

So, is hyphenation on T3 a feature that works with any e-book, without the book needing to be "doctored" before?

Any idea is this works with books in those languages that the T3 has dictionaries of?

That would be awesome!
Jasmine GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
Hi, Helen,

you mention hyphenation, something I have never encountered in any review of the T3. I own a T2 and sometimes I wished that it had the capability to hyphenate automatically texts.

(I have tried out a hyphenation plug-in made for Calibre, that introduced hyphens in the text. But then I found that the invisible hyphen signs ruined searches in the e-book. So I desinstalled the thing).

So, is hyphenation on T3 a feature that works with any e-book, without the book needing to be "doctored" before?

Any idea is this works with books in those languages that the T3 has dictionaries of?

That would be awesome!

Seems to be. And it seems to work very well. When you change the font size the hyphenation changes appropriately. I don't care that much about hyphenation in the grand scheme, but I was impressed.

Helen