Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Search.overdrive.com needs a plugin

http://search.overdrive.com is back with non-classic search. Now I get Firefox saying a plug-in is needed but cannot find which one. How would I find out what plugin is needed?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
http://search.overdrive.com is back with non-classic search. Now I get Firefox saying a plug-in is needed but cannot find which one. How would I find out what plugin is needed?
Just tried it and it works for me. I'm on Firefox 4.0.1 though. No plug in needed.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Just tried it and it works for me. I'm on Firefox 4.0.1 though. No plug in needed.

Carol
I'm on Firefox 5.0. But I don't think the version of Firefox is an issue. I think it's that you have the plugin.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I encountered the plug-in message with Firefox, but I could still search just fine, although it could've been a tad zippier!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Works for me. I'm on Firefox 6.0 and don't ever recall loading a specific plugin for OverDrive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I'm on Firefox 5.0. But I don't think the version of Firefox is an issue. I think it's that you have the plugin.
What is the message you receive.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Req13
Enthusiast
Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!Req13 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Sony PRS-T1, PRS-600 & Nook STR
It needs Microsoft's Silverlight.
Req13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Req13 View Post
I looked at the code, seams it's silverlight indeed.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Yep, I've installed Silverlight and now the missing plugin message has cleared.

Thanks
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Req13 View Post
Thank you for that. I've never installed Silverlight. Overdrive made a blunder (IMHO) using Silverlight since it'll just cause bloat on the computer and we already have Flash.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Thank you for that. I've never installed Silverlight. Overdrive made a blunder (IMHO) using Silverlight since it'll just cause bloat on the computer and we already have Flash.
IMHO, I'd rather have Silverlight than Flash. But then I use Netflix streaming, which uses Silverlight for their player, so of course I already have it installed.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Silverlight is never going to really catch on. It will always be a Flash wannabe.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Silverlight is never going to really catch on. It will always be a Flash wannabe.
That depends on how you define "catch on". It's used by the most popular (legal) movie streaming site on the internet. It's one of two supported programming APIs for Windows Phone 7. Also, Flash is on its way out as well, to be replaced by HTML 5. So trying to be Flash won't really work on in the end anyway.

In other words, Silverlight has its uses. Overdrive's usage of it is slightly ridiculous, though. What they're doing could've been done in plain old HTML/CSS/Javascript without any Silverlight or Flash. So really the issue here is that Overdrive is being dumb. Whether they're being dumb with Silverlight or being dumb with Flash is immaterial.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
In other words, Silverlight has its uses. Overdrive's usage of it is slightly ridiculous, though. What they're doing could've been done in plain old HTML/CSS/Javascript without any Silverlight or Flash. So really the issue here is that Overdrive is being dumb. Whether they're being dumb with Silverlight or being dumb with Flash is immaterial.
If Overdrive could have used HTML/CSS/Javascript for what they use Silverlight for, then yes, they are being dumb as they'll require a specialized piece of software that most people won't have and won't know they'll need for Overdrive as even MSIE doesn't know it needs Silverlight.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
toddos
Guru

Quote:
If Overdrive could have used HTML/CSS/Javascript for what they use Silverlight for, then yes, they are being dumb as they'll require a specialized piece of software that most people won't have and won't know they'll need for Overdrive as even MSIE doesn't know it needs Silverlight.
They're just using it for their fancy horizontal scroller, not for any search stuff. That type of widget has been implemented many times by many people in HTML/CSS/Javascript (for example, Netflix's web page -- everything except the actual video playback is pure HTML/CSS/Javascript, and they have a similar looping-horizontal-scroller design).