Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #31
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I see absolutely no reason why an author or publisher should be allowed to set the price of their goods.
From the rest of your post, I think you meant shouldn't?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
From the rest of your post, I think you meant shouldn't?

That's what I get for posting before I've had my morning decaf....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From my perspective, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions, misunderstandings, conjectures, and downright misinformation in this thread.

I am a indie, self-published author. I have a novel on Amazon, B & N, iBookstore, and Smashwords (recently.) I have a short story collection on Amazon as well. Because of this, I have a basic, but complete, understanding of the pricing schemes and royalties rates of these bookstores.

I would like to comment on some of the attitudes and ideas in this thread accordingly.

#1: A lot of you mention that you believe ebooks to be priced too high. This is certainly not true of indies. Most of the authors I know and connect with on message boards sell their books for under $5. Most are $2.99 or $.99. The vast majority of these are well written and well edited. If anyone can't afford these prices for a novel, then I suggest they stick to the public library.

People whose outrage stems from the fact that they want something for nothing should just admit they are thieves and go on about their business.

Now, if the prices of mainstream, big six publishers' ebooks is the focus of the ire then please don't include us indies in your anger. There are articles on the net where they try to explain their costs. Read them. The big six can't sell a book for .99 and stay in business, pure and simple.

#2 Indies are not wholesalers. We don't sell our books in bulk to Amazon or anyone else. Indie ebooks are direct from producer to consumer. THERE IS NO WHOLESALE PRICE TO SET.

Amazon, B & N, Lulu, Smashwords all allow the author to set the retail price, subject to restrictions and provisos. The author is the retailer. All we get from the bookstores is virtual shelf space.

Indies don't collude on prices. There is no model, agency or otherwise, for indie ebook prices.

Depending on the price we determine, the bookstore often gets the lion's share.

A .99 ebook on amazon nets the author .35. All books under $2.99, pay the author 35%. ebooks sold in the US and UK priced $2.99 to $9.99 pay 70%.

A .99 ebook on Smashwords pays .56.

The others rates and policies are similar.

#3 Most indie novels take a minimum of 3-6 months of daily work. An indie has to write, edit, proofread, promote, advertise, and often create the cover art for their work. Many pay copy editors and cover artists. Indie writing is not an easy or low cost business. Regardless of how it may appear, writing takes time, a alot of it.

Indie authors price their books cheaper than a Happy Meal because they are trying to break into the market, gain an audience, are new, or realize, like me, that indies are like the old pulps. Our niche is low priced fiction.

Thanks for your time.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #34
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't see why, I'm afraid. All that should concern an author is being able to fix a WHOLESALE price. What the retailer subsequently chooses to sell the product for is absolutely no concern of the author. The author has been paid his fixed wholesale price, and that's all that should concern him.
I agree with the author setting a wholesale price. At the moment that isn't how it works. The author gets a royalty - a percentage, usually 60-85% - the transaction fee and any affiliate fee.

Say a book is on sale for 4.99, 60% or $3.00 of that is pretty good. However, if the retailer discounts it to 3.99, the author doesn't still get the 3.00 as a wholesaler would. The author only gets $2.40.

A retailer should be able to change the price only if it doesn't affect how much the person originally making the sale gets. If the author still gets $3.00, then the retailer can sell it for whatever they please.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote