Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
FullCircleDesign
FullCircleDesign began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4, Galaxy 2, Kindle App, ADE
Unhappy Superscript issue on Kindle App

I've created a ePub from a supplied InDesign file in CS6 on a Mac - basic ePub with tables and ± 100 cross-reference (no need to hyperlink them). The cross-references have a Character Style with a superscript and looks perfect as an ePub on iPad and ADE (Client = HAPPY!)

After the ePub has been approved we convert it to a Mobi via InDesign CS6 and the Kindle Plug-in - check it on the Kindle Previewer and iPad, before sending it off to the client for approval.

Now for the superscritp issue: On the Kindle Previewer it's perfect! Opening it on the Kindle App on the iPad is where the problem comes in. The superscript font-size is fine, but the number is almost in perfect line with the rest of the sentence and not higher like a normal superscript.

Please help! Is this how the superscript appears on Kindle, or am I doing something wrong?
FullCircleDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's an extremely bad idea to use superscripts for cross-reference hyperlinks. I know it's normal in a printed book, but on a touchscreen a superscript is just too small and fiddly to easily tap on to select. Superscripts also really mess up the line spacing which makes the page look bad.

I'd suggest using normal size text instead - perhaps in square brackets or braces.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-15-2013 at 03:32 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
An Answer to the Problem

I had the same superscript sizing and spacial problem as you -- it seems superscript derived from a Word doc are unable to automatically use the default font in either EPUB or Kindle but Word handles superscript inherently. Also strange is that the Word HTML Filtered version also cannot handle superscript properly from the original Word doc -- always ends up in 1 em size(12pt) with disturbed line spacing.

Therefore you have to re-declare font-size and re-adjust vertical-align in your superscript span char style declaration in EPUB -- then it comes out fine in KIndle;

Here is how I changed the superscript declaration in EPUB HTML and got it to work:

span.SUPERSCRIPTRef {
font-family : Arial, sans-serif;
font-weight : bold;
font-style : normal;
font-size:0.60em;
vertical-align:top;
color :#c06400;
}

You may have to alter some of the above to your own needs but the above declaration works fine in EPUB and on Kindle conversion. Beware also that if you change the font-size to 0.8em or greater -- then this starts to disturb line spacing.

Haven't tested it yet on Apple, but I reckon that it should work ok.

Last edited by slowsmile; 07-16-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: mistake
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
FullCircleDesign

Mobi-Superscript-Kindle Issue

Thanks for the replies HarryT and slowsmile - much appreciated!
But I think you guys might have misunderstood me?

I have a perfectly-approved ePub (with superscript numbers - no need for the hyperlinks) - developed from InDesign - and I want to convert it to Mobi using the Kindle Plug-in for Adobe InDesign CS6.

Checking the Mobi on the Kindle Previewer for Mac, the superscript and line spacings are perfect.

Checking it on the Kindle App for iPad there's no problem with the line spacing, but the superscript is sitting too low - almost in-line with the bottom of the sentence.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
If I understand the problem correctly, there are NO links associated with the footnotes in question. The only problem is the appearance of the footnotes themselves in the text. If that's correct, try the suggested CSS for the footnote numbers themselves. I think it might still solve your problem.

Of course, you will have to enclose each footnote number inside a <span class="SUPERSCRIPTRef">whatever</span>. The CSS solution was intended only to correct the appearance problem, not hyperlinks. And of course you can adjust the parameters of the CSS definition to suit your purpose.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you not want cross-references to be hyperlinked? Hyperlinks are one of the key benefits of an ebook over a paper book. Making the user manually search for a reference just seems perverse.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
FullCircleDesign

Thank you, st_albert and HarryT for getting back to me!
Funny things are happening with these Mobi's … (curses!)

If I convert the ePub to Mobi via Caliber the superscripts are perfect on both Mac and iPad. CRAZY!
(Could there be a problem with the Kindle Plug-in?)

I do understand the whole thing with hyperlinks, HarryT, but not hyperlinking the cross-reference is a request rom the client.

Just a silly question st_albert - is there a way to fiddle with the "back-files" of a Mobi?

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircleDesign View Post
Thank you, st_albert and HarryT for getting back to me!
Funny things are happening with these Mobi's … (curses!)

If I convert the ePub to Mobi via Caliber the superscripts are perfect on both Mac and iPad. CRAZY!
(Could there be a problem with the Kindle Plug-in?)

I do understand the whole thing with hyperlinks, HarryT, but not hyperlinking the cross-reference is a request rom the client.

Just a silly question st_albert - is there a way to fiddle with the "back-files" of a Mobi?

Thanks again guys!
FullCircle:

As you said, "client," I'm assuming that you have a client that's paying you, who's operating under the belief that your eBook-making expertise is up to the task right? That being the case, I assume further that you know that Kindle for iPad operates under its own set of rather hinky, unregulated "rules;" generally only displaying the K7-version of the file, not the K8, or, worse, a combination of K7-K8 styles. Did you set fallback media queries for K7 styling? What is the styling you set for the K8 CSS for the superscripted non-links? How do the links look in the K7 versions? And when you say you're opening it on K4iPad, I further assume you mean the actual iPad, and not the Previewer, right? Because you can't trust the K4iPad previewer...as I'm sure you also know.

And you'll also know that Calibre does things (somewhat) its own way, frequently making "inferences" as to what someone "intended" in coding situations.

And, yes, there's a back way to "fiddle" with the source of the Kindle files--make it from the ePUB.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote