Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Installing community developed applications with 2.7.1

Hi,

Anyone seen:

The developer community on mobileread has recently created several applications and scripts to use with the iLiad. To allow the community to install and test these user applications we have decided to offer a software package which can be downloaded via iDS on your iLiad and it will allow you to execute shell scripts from the content lister on your iLiad.

The package will run with the latest software version 2.7.1.

http://developer.irexnet.com/

jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
YES!

I love it. Now we can doo all the bad things we want i guess. (Or is it a restricted shell script access)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Hallejulah! iRex couldn't hold out forever. Hope to join soon you fortunate ones who are already enjoying the efforts of intrepid developers, like Scotty1024, Yokos and others unnamed (only because of my poor memory for names). Thanks, danke, merci, gracias, grazie, etc. to everyone who made it possible.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks, iRex. A wise step I think. You got much more happy customers today.
To all 2.7.1 users, download x48, leave your hardware calculator at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raevyn1
Hallejulah! iRex couldn't hold out forever. Hope to join soon you fortunate ones who are already enjoying the efforts of intrepid developers, like Scotty1024, Yokos and others unnamed (only because of my poor memory for names). Thanks, danke, merci, gracias, grazie, etc. to everyone who made it possible.
raevyn1, you gave me too much credit, I'm not a developer, at least not yet.

Last edited by yokos; 11-16-2006 at 07:22 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
(Or is it a restricted shell script access)
Hope not! Some apps want to access the drivers directly. In any case, we trust on you to tell us I am safe, working in a building with WPA wifi only
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
To all 2.7.1 users, download x48, leave your hardware calculator at home.
If anything, it means Scotty's patches/source (and others) is more useful now that we can put into practice all the tricks and tips they have learnt...

Before we just had one or two people hacking away. Now Irex have more than just these people...!

Last edited by jęd; 11-16-2006 at 07:29 AM.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
raevyn1, you gave me too much credit, I'm not a developer, at least not yet.
Oops... that naming thing again What can I say, except kudos to those with the mad skills who save the day for the non-programmers out here.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
The other big thing about this, assuming it is a real root access, is that you can override the -nolisten tcp of the Xserver, enable the wifi and voila! you have got a secondary e-ink screen for your unix machine (running Xapps, sorry Mac).

Hmm OK there is the update issue.

Last edited by arivero; 11-16-2006 at 07:46 AM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
So where's all this cool scotty-developed stuff now?
Should it be in Finished Hacks & Apps (don't see it) or do I need to plow through all the posts individually to find it?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
The other big thing about this, assuming it is a real root access, is that you can override the -nolisten tcp of the Xserver, enable the wifi and voila! you have got a secondary e-ink screen for your unix machine (running Xapps, sorry Mac).
You can run X on a Mac.

(Indeed, if you want to run OpenOffice, you must run X.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
wagnerian
Musicology Student
wagnerian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Zaurus C1000
Now I got the paches. But what should I do to install Scotty's pdf viewer? iRex says the only change is that I can execute .sh files.

Added later: What I'd downloaded does not contain any .sh file. But there's already new step-by-step explanation with .sh scripts and now I've succeeded to install.

Last edited by wagnerian; 11-16-2006 at 10:52 AM.
wagnerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
roots commandline is a ninja-razorblade-knife

Firstly: I'm _very_ happy about this move, it makes me use my iLiad without getting angry about it's parents again and I hope it has a bright future now.

There are quite some people here who are not experienced administrators of Unix-like systems and for those the shell's commandline is a very new tool.

It would be very sad if people started bricking their devices now.
So please please be very very careful. Root's commandline is a very sharp tool with no "undo"-button. You can cut off all your fingers up to your toes in a single, accidental move (eg: an additional letter or period).
Read every instruction very careful, understand it and if you eg. start writing shell scripts consider what might go wrong will go wrong.

(From someone whos script erased /dev on a important server 13 years ago...)

Last edited by k2r; 11-16-2006 at 04:30 PM.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
@k2r

Excellent advice. I've been a Unix administrator for 20 years now and I still check my scripts carefully.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Woo!

Woo!

Praise the lord!

Apparently it was the perfect timing to go on my 6-week research visit in the US where they are keeping too busy to do anything with the Iliad. I missed all the anger about iRex, bad updates, everything, and when I'm back in two weeks, I can start with community software right away.

I love it!

Woo!

[are your ipdf sources already online, scotty1024? I'll need them in two weeks ]

Last edited by ali; 11-16-2006 at 08:49 PM.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This thread should probably be a sticky....

Edit: With an updated link....I can't find the actual request page anymore.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-21-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote