Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
mudfairy
mudfairy began at the beginning.

Device: none
HUGE problems with USA 505 service

hi all,

just wanted to let prospective buyers know that while the 505 is a great model for reading, the amount of hassle involved in getting it serviced has been monumental!

for no obvious reason (no dropping, spilling etc; i kept it in a waterproof case) the screen on my reader started displaying incorrectly. i tried both a soft & hard reset and then when it made no difference, got in touch with sony who recommended that i post it to their repair centre in texas via registered & insured mail. i did so with the expected expenses & hassles at the post office and a couple of weeks later i received an email saying my unit had been received & to please phone to make a $30 payment for services. i did so 2 days after the email was sent and the operator took my details without any issue & made no mention of any problems.

last week (one month later) i received the unit unrepaired.

i have now made 5 phone calls to sony, none of which have come to any action. when i ask to be put through to a manager, i'm put on hold for periods up to 30 minutes (after which time i hung up). the first time i phoned, the guy said that the unit couldn't be repaired because i didn't include my warranty information (which i certainly did) and i must have given the wrong email address because they sent out an email asking for info & did not receive any response so returned the unit (this can't be right as i originally received emails from the company with no problems) . the second time i phoned, the lady said that the service center had inspected the unit & it was fine so it was returned unrepaired. the third time the guy said he would forward me details and then never did. the fourth time i was told i would have to send the unit back and make sure to provide accurate details. the fifth time i was put on hold for 30 min & have hung up.

sony refuse to give me any email contact details for customer support. on the third phonecall i was provided with a postal address in florida to which i could address my complaint.

i understood when i bought the thing that there would be some extra work if repairs were required but this is ridiculous. i'm hoping sony will just let me return it for a refund and i can go back to dead trees which bulky and time consuming as they are, don't ever cause this amount of trouble - the phone calls to america and the postage on the unit plus the cost of my time spent on hold add up to about $200 which is an awful lot of ebooks or paper books.

it's a massive shame that this has happened as i believe in ebooks and being environmentally responsible.

does anyone else have any advice about how to handle this?
mudfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you any advice but WOW!

Were you able to recover your $30 at least because if you didn't, that sounds like fraud/theft. Just out of curiosity, how long have you had the 505?

I hope you can get it resolved since what you described is just plain wrong.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ouch, bad experience. I'd go ahead and write that Florida address if I were you. It is odd that you can't get through by phone. I had a long hold time too but eventually got taken care of. I'd be unhappy if I fell into Sony's rabbit hole like you did.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go to the local SonyStyle shop and speak to the manager to try to get things sorted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
mudfairy
mudfairy began at the beginning.

i have written to florida so fingers crossed! the australian sony people are totally disinterested which is fair enough....
mudfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
repair, sony 505