Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Very often the Class 10 cards have done optimization for speed with large data blocks (writing 10MB on my digital camera). They seem to sacrifice small block speeds to obtain the better large block speeds.

I'm one of the people mentioning the lower class cards as being better in some circumstances. This originally came out of a Nook related discussion where some people found their Nook booted from an SD card performed well and others complaining this made their Nook run slower than molasses running uphill in Tuktoyaktuk in January.

I've attached 3 images from various Crystal DiskMark tests I ran on microSD cards (Lexar Class 10, Patriot Class 10 and a SanDisk Class 4 all 8GB) using the internal card reader on my laptop. In my digital and video cameras, the two Class 10 cards worked well. In my Glo, they made it noticeably slower. I suspect this is due to the small block writes where the Class 4 SanDisk was 65 to 171 times faster. The similarity of the sequential read speeds is, I suspect, a limitation of the Ricoh chip used for the card reader.
Not so much an issue with Class 10 cards as it is with the manufacturers themselves. If you test a Patriot Class 4, I reckon you'd get the same abysmal random 4K writes as the Patriot Class 10. Manufacturers with decent random 4K are SanDisk and Samsung and that's pretty much regardless of capacity and Class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32GB microSDHC bench.png
Views:	302
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	105450  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Not so much an issue with Class 10 cards as it is with the manufacturers themselves. If you test a Patriot Class 4, I reckon you'd get the same abysmal random 4K writes as the Patriot Class 10. Manufacturers with decent random 4K are SanDisk and Samsung and that's pretty much regardless of capacity and Class.
Two manufacturers I'm rather fond of myself.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
theskybeblue
theskybeblue began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Installed class 10 16GB, alternate guide using GParted.

I just managed to install a Samsung 16GB class 10 (excessive I know, but it was what I had lying around) There was a noticeable speed increase but not very dramatic, I dont think I'll be shopping around for a faster card I doubt it will make much difference.

I used an alternate method to upgrade as a USB key was unavailable and my linux distro (Rasbian on a Raspberry Pi) did not have enough free space to make a backup of the card, this info might be useful to people who aren't command line ninjas or if you don't have a USB key or a natively installed version of linux (you will require a blank CD however)

I used win32diskimager (very easy to find on google, and free open source software) in windows to make a backup of the original card. I entered C:\kobo.img as a file name and clicked read to do the backup and then restored the original file to my 16GB card by entering C:\kobo.img and clicking "write" (this is a bit buggy as it messes up backslashes(\) and forward slashes(/) sometimes so make sure they are backslashes (\) or windows throws a strop when you try and write to the micro SD and say the file is "in use".)

Once this is done the card will work in the kobo but the partition will still be the same size (1.3GB on my kobo mini)

You will need a copy of Gparted (I already had a copy of hirens boot CD which happens to have it already, but if you google "gparted" you will find the sourceforge page which allows you to download a free open source bootable CD image of gparted) It is included in many linux CDs and usually called "Partition Editor or just Gparted"

I then used Gparted(from a bootable CD) to resize the partition on the micro SD, it will be the largest partition probably called "kobo reader"

!!Dont let your linux distro "mount" the SD partitions, or they will be locked and you wond be able to resize them!!

!!Also be careful not to mess with the main partitions of your computer, be sure you are editing the micros SD and not your main hard disk!!

I had to change the device to the SD card in the Gparted=>Devices drop down menu, on mine it was called /dev/sdb though it will likely be something else for you, you will have to use your initiative. It then scanned and the SD card with several 256mb partitons appeared(leave these well alone unless you like starting from scratch) I right clicked the largest "kobo reader" partition(it should be FAT32 file system) and clicked resisze/move, draged the slider and then clicked the resize/move button.

When the resize box goes away you will have to click the "apply" button, it is the green tick in the menu at the top.

wait a few seconds or minutes and you are finished, put the new card in the kobo.

Hope this is helpful, I've tried to be as detailed as possible but this is mostly from memory. Good luck upgrading your Kobo!

Last edited by theskybeblue; 05-28-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
theskybeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I am trying to replace the memory card on my kobo mini in windows (xp) I have the 3 programs usb duplicator image creator and writer and the partitioning software but I can't even get to step 1

when I open the image creator I can set a destination image file but I can not select a source removable disk drive. it simply does nothing when I click that box or the drop down button.

same in the writer program. I can select a source file (I don't have one yet of course) but I can not select a destination drive. I assume it should list the drives in that larger window and I select my desired removable disc. I thought it was my mSD reader unit so I tried something different (stuck the cards into an 808 cam) no joy. no change.

suggestions?

I think I found a solution

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

one program for imagine and writing the image. its writing the image now will report back if it works or not :-)

Worked a treat NO problems. installed the 16gb card rebooted the device and flawless.

14219mb now :-) nice :-)

Last edited by nerys; 06-22-2013 at 11:21 PM.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #35
nerys
Addict

OK super easy way to upgrade the kobo reader

Download the USB Image Tool from alex's page

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

download the mini partition wizard program from here

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

Open the back of your kobo yank the SD card put it in a reader and install in your computer

Run the USB Image tool (.net 3.5 is needed to run the gui no .net needed for command line)

Select your flash drive on the left click backup and give it a name

wait wait wait

install your replacement flash card select it on the left click restore select the image file you created

wait wait wait

open the partition tool thingy notice the 4 partitions.

ignore the first 3 don't mess with them. the 4th is called Kobo ereader and is Fat 32

you will also notice a gaggle of "unallocated" space in the 5th slot. this is what we want to use. right click the fat 32 partition click extend slide the slider to the right all the way hit ok then upper left hit APPLY

wait

install new card into your reader reassemble reboot and enjoy :-)

I put a 16gb card into mine. why? why not.

if you want a little more space for FREE don't bother replacing the card.

for whatever reason they only used 2gb of the card that is already in the machine. I have no idea why.

just skip to the last step. put your stock kobo card into your reader and open the partition tool. notice 1.9gb unallocated.

do the same thing right click the kobo ereader fat32 partition click extend slide slider right ok apply done. 1.9gb of extra space for free.

They have 4gb cards in the device but only use 2gb of it for some odd reason. you will go from 1.3gb to 3.2gb :-) nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QGYk2q80M

Last edited by nerys; 06-23-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
1429mb now :-) nice :-)
Is that a typo? 1.4GB free on a 16GB card sounds a little small to me. 14290MB perhaps?

Quote:
if you want a little more space for FREE don't bother replacing the card.

for whatever reason they only used 2gb of the card that is already in the machine. I have no idea why.

just skip to the last step. put your stock kobo card into your reader and open the partition tool. notice 1.9gb unallocated.

do the same thing right click the kobo ereader fat32 partition click extend slide slider right ok apply done. 1.9gb of extra space for free.

They have 4gb cards in the device but only use 2gb of it for some odd reason. you will go from 1.3gb to 3.2gb :-) nice.
I suspect the reason for using 2Gb of the 4GB uSD cards is that early units had the 2GB card and it is simply easier for them to continue using the image for the 2GB cards rather than having two different images. It may also save having people ask why did Joe get 3GB free on his Glo and my Glo only has 1GB or why does my Glo show 3GB free when the documentation says 1GB?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-22-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
nerys
Addict

yep typo. missing the 1.

video link added as well.

well it does make it easy for users to get a lot more space for absolutely nothing :-) (the 2gb versus 4gb thing)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
yep typo. missing the 1.

video link added as well.

well it does make it easy for users to get a lot more space for absolutely nothing :-) (the 2gb versus 4gb thing)
Noted.

You can add a link to a YouTube video by clicking on the You Tube icon in the tool bar and then pasting the last part of the YouTube link after the v= between the tag and end tag. In this case, 73QGYk2q80M.

Regards,
David
Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
nerys
Addict

Hmm I see no youtube anything for adding anything? do you mean under manage attachment and add by url ?? edit your message how did it add the video (the code in brackets before and after the link)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Either click on the YouTube icon in "Go Advanced" or type [youtube]the_you_tube_id[/youtube] so in your case it would have been [youtube]73QGYk2q80M[/youtube]
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Hmm I see no youtube anything for adding anything? do you mean under manage attachment and add by url ?? edit your message how did it add the video (the code in brackets before and after the link)
I clicked in the You Tube icon in the tool bar between the Wiki link tool and the Spoiler tag tool and then pasted the string for the video between the tags. If you are editing an existing message, you need to click Go Advanced to get the full toolbar back.

See image for the tool location.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YouTubeLink.png
Views:	262
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	107244  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-23-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added image
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #42
KStock
KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Mini and Forma, Kindle Paperwhite, Yiben P47L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo1618 View Post
For my Mini, you just pull off the back cover (takes a bit of force but be careful) then unscrew the 6 screws behind that. Same deal with the second layer.
And yeah, the Mini I bought came with a standard Sandisk 4GB Class 4 SDHC.
I opened my Mini last night, and I also found a Sandisk 4GB Class 4 SDHC. I plugged it into my laptop and examined the partitions:

- 10 MB unused space
- 256 MB boot partition (ext3)
- 256 MB recovery partition (ext3)
- 1.3 GB data partition (Fat32)
- 1.8 GB unused space

Using the Partition Wizard, I extended the data partition to cover the 1.8 GB (total 3.1 GB) unused space and then put everything back together. 140% extra storage space at no cost.

BTW, I did take a backup of the card before enlarging the partition, but everything went well.
KStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #43
nerys
Addict

My kobo stopped working. I changed to a 16gb card and it worked perfectly.

then a couple weeks later it just sits at the starting up screen. won't boot.

suggestions?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #44
KStock
KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Mini and Forma, Kindle Paperwhite, Yiben P47L
Quote:
My kobo stopped working. I changed to a 16gb card and it worked perfectly. then a couple weeks later it just sits at the starting up screen. won't boot.
Do you still have the original card? The first thing to do would be to see if the reader still works with it. If it does, you could clone it onto your 16gb card again.

If not, have you tried a Reset (push a paperclip into the reset hole)?

If that fails, then (unless someone else has a better idea) you'll need to try a factory reset which will try to rebuild the card. Note that this will remove any books that you have on the card, but you should be able to install them again afterwards.
KStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
nerys
Addict

I DID keep the original card but like a dumb dumb I did not tape it to the inside of the device so I can not find it. Grrr

how do I do a factory reset reinstall? a normal reset does not work.