Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Possible Bug in 4.21

I normally edit html in Microsoft Word 97 and leave Calibre open so I can immediately upload the new html version. However, after I upgraded to the newest version of Calibre last night I kept getting this error message in Word 97 saying that I have a disk tray open. I had to close Calibre completely down in order to save my HTML file. then I had to re-open the program again. It's not a big deal once I figured out what was going on. But I really miss how convienent it was to save my work without having to shut down Calibre.

I'm not sure what all changed in the last upgrade but I've never had this problem before. And the only thing I've changed in a week is upgrading Calibre.

I'm also using Windows XP Media Center Edition.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm that's odd what version of calibre did you upgrade from? Also does the problem persist after a reboot
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm that's odd what version of calibre did you upgrade from? Also does the problem persist after a reboot
I upgraded from 4.19 to 4.21 and when I get home I'll reboot and see if the problem persists. Normally, I never reboot. (I have way too many tabs opened in firefox)
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I finally had the chance to sit down and re-boot my computer. The problem persisted and it's still here in version 4.126.

I've already downloaded the newest version and I planned on installing it. But not sure that'll take care of the problem.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm are there any other odd symptoms? When you open windows explorer with calibre running, are the drives and disks listed normal?
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm are there any other odd symptoms? When you open windows explorer with calibre running, are the drives and disks listed normal?
They look normal to me. I just don't get why MS Word 97 thinks my program is a disk?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
They look normal to me. I just don't get why MS Word 97 thinks my program is a disk?
Who knows. Microsoft software is like magic.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Who knows. Microsoft software is like magic.
Black Magic
of the EVIL kind
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Well I opened a doc in Wordpad and with Calibre opened I tried to save the changes I made and it pretty much told me I couldn't because the file was being used elsewhere. Again, this hadn't happened before...but I suppose it makes sense.

I think I'm going to have to hunt down an older version of Calibre because I didn't realize just how frustrating it is to have to shut the program down just to save minor fixes to html code and re-upload.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah now it saying that the file is in use is a little more helpful. I would suggest doing the following:

Open the HTML file in Word. Save it onto your disk with a new name. Then use the edit metadata dialog in calibre to update the calibre entry with the latest file.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Ah now it saying that the file is in use is a little more helpful. I would suggest doing the following:

Open the HTML file in Word. Save it onto your disk with a new name. Then use the edit metadata dialog in calibre to update the calibre entry with the latest file.
Will give it a shot...but at this point it just seems easier back tracking to a version where I don't have to do that.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure, you can do that.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard

Thanks for looking into this. I'm hoping someday in the future I'll get a lot better at coding stories for conversion and I won't have to keep going back to fix stuff I missed.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Practice makes perfect